Morningside

Morningside

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  36 reviews
It’s easy to get caught up with bad-ass vampires, a killer love triangle, broken engagements, assumed clones, and enough sexual tension to drive anyone crazy.

Does society really know what it means to be a vampire? What it feels like? Tastes like? The struggles of going through life in a state of unacceptance, and using every fiber of your being to change?

MORNINGSIDE shows...more
Published November 2012 by Cambridge Press, US. (first published March 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Morningside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morningside

Echo by J.K. AccinniThe Host by Stephenie MeyerEndure by Carrie JonesExistence by Abbi GlinesBlack Moon by Jessica McQuay
Eyes On You
8th out of 266 books — 201 voters
The Undying by Ronnell D. PorterSomething Wicked by C.J. BakerDemon Girl by Penelope FletcherSpiderwork by L.K. RigelHush Money by Susan Bischoff
Indie Books - Paranormal Cover Love
117th out of 352 books — 751 voters

More lists with this book...

Aa'Ishah
Ava is a normal girl in the 1920s. One night sees her attending a wedding; an event that should be full of fun and goodwill quickly turns into one of danger instead and before she knows it she’s been turned into a vampire – except she isn’t a normal kind of vampire. Events see her leaving her sire’s home, only to return 80 years later. Someone’s after her blood, and they won’t stop until they get it.

This is a difficult review for me to write because everything really comes down to one issue: dev...more
Heather *aka Dragon Fairy*
**Recieved free copy for a fair review**

***Spoilers are in review***

I struggled with this review because the book was not what I expected. After starting the book and realizing I was not going to be reading what I thought,I got on an author thread and found out the premise of the book was for us to see what life was like for a vampire who had just been turned. We were to find out things as the vampire found out things. The writer doesn't even give us the vampires name until almost the end, becau...more
Francis Franklin
I received a free advance copy of this novel from the author for purpose of review. Actually, I had my eye on this book before getting the chance to review it, so jumped at the chance. I liked the cover, and I enjoyed the style of writing in the sample chapter. I'm predisposed to like stories told in the first person by a female vampire. So I started very optimistically.

I love the writing. It is poetic and beautiful, without distracting from the story. I like the way the setting resonates with t...more
Karen Siddall
Although a very good story concept, its execution was choppy, incomplete, and ultimately, confusing to me. Having said that, it was intriguing and has so much potential that I sincerely hope that this author writes more. I will definitely look for future publications.

PROS –
 STORYLINE!
 Interesting likeable characters
 Villains I wanted to hate
 Interesting setting/locale
 Interesting likeable characters
 Action!
 Improved as it went along
 Interesting likeable characters - I really want to kno...more
Wendy
3.5
My thoughts for Morningside are mixed. The start was a bit dragged and confusing but when action started I was in for a ride.

I overall thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved how the characters grow on you. Ava was an absolute astounding fictional character. I admire the to control she had over her emotions - when it came to love. Her ability to take risks made things just so much more pleasing to read. So it was profoundly wonderful to finally see a great female heroin.

Another great thing abou...more
Kate
I received a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. So, let me be honest. It was just OK for me, in terms of my overall experience reading this book.

The writing style has a poetic flair and the tone is mysterious. That was a double edged sword for me. I found the imagery beautiful and interesting sometimes, and other times the language seemed too convoluted, which muddled the meaning for me. There were many sentences I had to read over and over to "get" them. Som...more
Viviana Izzo
I received an ARC ebook of this book from the author to provide a honest review. This is the author's debut novel.

The beginning was slow and filled with inessential information and/or details. I understand that world building is crucial, however, the information and/or detail I'm referring to is truly not necessary to keep the story moving forward nor is it of value to enhance the story. It felt more like a word count filler.

The connection between the heroine and hero is not clear, neither is th...more
Carol Atta
Wow, Morningside. A unique and unusual read in a reading world full of much of the same. I think the book, for the author's rare writing style alone, should be rated higher. I understand how confusion could arise, but with that said, it all made sense to me. (I'm being confusing now; I know.) The abrupt "fire" scene was the only place I really stumbled, and that was addressed in the end. So all is well in my world.

Anyway, this is clearly the first book in a series, and that's okay for me. There...more
Holly's pages in pink
So heeerrrreeere is the deal with this book:

This author has raw talent- it's not fully reigned in yet- but it's there. She has a distinct knack for laying out a visual that will absolutely take your breath away. During the early moments in the book, we are placed at a wedding reception where our female and male leads are in attendance. We are immersed in a world where every candle or dancing flicker of light comes alive before us- I can see the beautiful cake iced in an abundance of yellow butte...more
Bookie | The BookChick
My Rating: ★★★

Book Description:

MORNINGSIDE shows vampires in a new light. Humanity believes them to be one thing, without any deviation-- the p...more
BDSM newbie
I got a copy of this book from the author and I was asked to read and review it. This is one of my first reviews but I'll try my best.

Although this book confused me in parts once I started reading I found it hard to put down for the simple fact that I wanted to know what happens. This book starts along the same lines as most vampire stories but towards the end it starts its own unique twist. It has the changing, the love triangles, the past with a few twists along the way. The lead character is...more
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I was asked to review this from the author.

This is an amazing book about vampires and humans. How one human (Ava) has been turned into a vampire. How she defied the odds, didn't change into a vampire quite wholly and entices different vampires along the way. She likes/loves 2 different vampires (1 who turned her and another who can become human at times).

I thought it was thought-provoking and really good storyline. I hope this author does more as I would definitely buy her books.
Jessica McQuay
Ashley Madau’s Morningside is a vampire story unlike any I’ve ever read before it. From the very beginning you’re drawn into the life of the main character and her abrupt thrust into vampirism. Her struggle, her pain and even her pleasure at being forced to live a life she never would have chosen for herself is set against a growing love triangle and an enemy she is unaware exists.

Morningside is a gritty, beautiful, tantalizing portrayal of what it is like to live as a vampire. The main characte...more
Shambhawi P.
Nov 06, 2012 Shambhawi P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All those vampire lovers looking for a new series to get into
Recommended to Shambhawi by: Ashley Madau
Shelves: for-review
This ebook was provided to me by the author in exchange of an honest review.

My opinion never been so conflicted towards a book (except maybe for The Fault in our Stars). When I started reading it, I doubted I could get to the end. The first few chapters were badly written, sketchily described and very, very hard to get into. I dropped the book at first after reading some thirty pages. Then, weeks later I picked it up again. And I read it. And it got better.

And better.

And better.

I liked the way A...more
Mary Merrell
The book started out strong for me, the scenery and the dialog between the characters at the wedding good. I thought her premise of this vampire was different and interesting and something I had never read before. However, I didn't connect with the main character. I didn't know what she wanted, what her goal was. She seemed to meander through time with no thought or direction. The secondary characters were just names on the page. I wanted to know more, get deeper into all their personalities. Wh...more
Lynn Kelly
Let me start off by saying I was really excited to have the opportunity to read the ARC for this book as part of my Goodreads Paranormal Romance with a Kick Group's new forum! It's an awesome way for writers and readers to connect within a specific genre and I hope to take part in more reviews later (even though I'm a day late on this review thanks to NaNoWriMo).

Now for the not so great news. I don't want to discourage anyone from reading this story because it does have its moments, but it was t...more
Aki
More on my blog.

I find Ava really interesting. Her way of thinking, her choices--her personality, in general, is not the typical kind you'd find. She's pretty awesome, I must say.

I also like how she's not perfect, her flaws and wrong judgment makes her more real for me. She has insecurities, and it's a welcome thing for me. Bad sense of direction still with her even with heightened senses? I think that's cute.

After Ava, there is Liam. I find him very confusing but very charming. He's charmed me,...more
Samantha
Morningside is the story of a woman in the 20s who accidentally gets turned into a vampire and her struggle to accept not only her change of life as a vampire, but also her life as an abnormal vampire.
After finishing this book, I have a lot of mixed thoughts on it. The writing is very well done, and since page 1, I felt deep in the story. However, while I love fast paced books, I felt this one was too fast paced. I had a little trouble keeping up in some parts, because the story shifted so quic...more
Aseel (In My Secret -Book- World)
To read this review and others, visit: http://mycrazybookobsession.blogspot.se/

Morningside started off very good, it was very mysterious and held my attention but then things started being confusing instead of mysterious. After the first 30% of the book I just went through the pages confused. We would just jump into a conversation that seems important but I have no idea what they are arguing about.

Morningside started with the heroine attending a wedding with her family where she met vampire Liam...more
Holly
First let me start off by saying I'm not the best at writing reviews, but since i received this book to review & give my opinion, here it goes:

The book is an interesting read & a new take on vampires. (some of the same concepts with a few twists on the characters.) There is the inevitable love triangle, villain-vampire & likable characters. It gives plenty of back story where they came from & why they are in the situation they are currently in. The only thing I was really confuse...more
Ashley Madau
Sep 09, 2012 Ashley Madau rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Morningside is the story about vampires that has never been told before. I've taken the legends I grew up hearing, and adding a minute twist, created a completely new experience. As the author, I'm obligated to love my story. But as a fan of vampire fiction I'm excited to present a new paranormal story to excite readers of the young adult / adult genres.

www.ashleymadau.com/sample has a preview chapter for you to "sink your teeth into." Please do see for yourself. I guarantee you'll become as ena...more
Rowena Portch
Intriguing Read with Enlightening Truths

This fabulous little book grips you in the first paragraph and keeps you hanging on till the end. Its fast pace and incredible characters reveal a side to vampirism that is rarely expressed. My compassion for the main character touched my heart as if she were my own sister—alone, in pain, and struggling with commonalities that most humans take for granted. If you are looking for a realistic tale about vampires, this is a must read. I found the storyline re...more
Twigs1704
See my review here: http://www.bittenbyparanormalromance....

From the start Morningside confused me. It made me feel like I missed out on something. Throughout the whole book you never get to learn the main characters name. Intentional? I'm thinking so. With that being said, I liked the plot of the story. The author has a wonderful way of describing things that will put the story right in your minds eye.
Michelle
I gave this book 3 1/2 stars. Was a good book overall, just had a lot of information to comprehend and kind of felt like the storyline was going all over the place vs flashback. I really did like the characters in the book & the writing was good & was able to keep your attention.
Boo Boo Kitty
At first I had a hard time getting into the book because of all the internal dialoge but the story really takes off after "the change". I liked it and finished it in a couple of days.
Ashley Madau
Sep 09, 2012 Ashley Madau rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is the old edition of Morningside. Please shelve the new addition, the one with the girl on the cover :)

Thanks very much!
Averielle
Really good book!!!! I would definitely recommend!!!!!
Linda Hays-Gibbs
This book is about a young woman who suddenly finds herself a vampire. She is no ordinary vampire for she changes back and forth from human to vampire whenever her temper flares. She does not know how to accept her situation and there is a lot of introspection and soul searching. There is the vampire that made her, Liam and they have a chemistry between them that flares and leads to a lot of sexual tension. Nothing ever really happens between them and I was confused by some of their fights.There...more
Brittany DeLys
So I will start off by saying that I don't normally read vampire novels but this one had me intrigued. I actually really enjoyed the vampire story line and some of the character progression. Unfortunately I went through most of the book confused.The beginning started out slow and I was very confused through most of it. Once I figured out what was actually happening it flowed a little smoother but it would still go off and become confusing to me at times.I liked the interaction between Ava, Juli...more
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`

3,5 Stars!

12/11/2012 -- Finished reading

I've got this book for a review.

So my thoughts about it..

The start was a bit bumpy. There was a lot going on, and it was a bit hard to handle.
But as the book progressed It was easier to grasp everything. This book is nothing like I've ever read before.
I don't think I enjoyed the style it was written in. But it was Ok.

The story goes about a girl-turned vampire, who's struggling to accept what she is and what she's not.
Time-line changes through the book, bu...more
Ashley Madau was born in automotive Michigan in 1990, and up until recently had lived there her whole life. She now resides in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as a creative advertising professional, with her new husband, dog named Furler, and cat named Dexter (who’s a girl). Of a strong Romanian heritage, Ashley has always been fascinated with Vlad Tepes, and more specifically, vampires. Morningside is her d...more
More about Ashley Madau...

“Love, really? We're vampires, not teenagers. Lust is for the weak.” 3 likes