Start by marking “Nothing is Heavy” as Want to Read:
Nothing is Heavy

Nothing is Heavy

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Deep Sea chippy and the Fantasy Island bar face each other across the neon glow of Junction Street. Beth shovels chips on one side and Amber spins naked around a pole on the other. Their work is mundane and predictable, each night much like any other, until a sudden, dramatic death forces them to choose between relative safety and risk.

Into this situation wanders Georg
Published 2012 by Linen Press

To ask other readers questions about Nothing is Heavy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing is Heavy

Nicki
I read this as part of a bookcrossing ring. Here is my review:

Mixed feelings on this one. Didn't love it or hate it.
Idea and characters are certainly more original than your average book. Really liked all three of them and would have rated this quite highly in the first part of the book. Then there does seem to be a bit of a slump where the story drags and I found I wasn't enjoying it quite so much, which lead to me taking a little longer to get through this than I would have liked. It does pi
Gordon
Maybe I was just in the mood to read this. To be honest, I rarely delve into this sort of fiction, not because I don't like it, but just because I have so many other goodies to tuck into ahead of it.

But I bought - and decided to read - Vicki Jarrett's "Nothing Is Heavy" because it was on a 3-for-2 promotion, and I just took a fancy to it. I think it's her debut novel, in which case it's all the more exceptional. Set in Leith, Edinburgh, it tells the intertwined tale of two woman, neither of whom
Tracey Scott-townsend
I love how the stories of the three main characters, Amber, Beth and George connect, right from the start of the book. I identified with them individually – I found a little bit of my past in aspects of all their lives. That’s maybe because I’ve lived quite a few chapters of my own life. In Amber’s case it was working in a nightclub (though not a pole-dancing club in my case) in Beth’s, living with a band, in George – the coming to terms with an ended relationship. So I’m fully embroiled in thei ...more
For Books' Sake
"Sex, tattoos, potatoes, drugs, monkeys, angels and pole-dancing are just a few things you can expect from Vicki Jarrett’s début novel, Nothing is Heavy.

Shortlisted for the Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize 2011, Nothing is Heavy steps into the lives of local late-night chippie worker Beth, pole-dancer Amber and the apathetic and broken-hearted George." (Excerpt from full review at For Books' Sake.)
Dickson Telfer
Great, believable characters and a plot that kept me turning those pages. Jarrett is an exciting new author and I look forward to seeing what else she has up her sleeve.
penelopewanders
Coincidences and strange encounters - fate? I found the beginning of the book difficult, but enjoyed it more once Beth and Amber began their getaway. George comes off as a slightly pathetic figure, which is a bit of a shame. I ended up being quite captivated by this - glad of the bookcrossing ring which brought it to my attention.
Colette Coen
A beautifully crafted book which brings together three broken characters on one fateful Saturday. What do gorillas, angels and a chip shop have to do with each other? Well, in Vicki Jarrett's fast-paced darkly comic novel fates are intertwined and everyone has a part to play in the final resolution.
KM
This is such an unique book, unlike anything else out there! It takes place one night on a street that could be anywhere in the UK that has dodgy nightlife, strip clubs and chippies. Fast plot, funny and full of wry observations, and a great human/monkey character, George.
Sandra
Memorably different characters and the street where much of the action takes place a well-drawn stage, tragedy and humour and a host of coincidences. Very well-written.
And very true that the story stays with you after it's read. Impressive, that.
Amabel Thornton
A lovely easy to read book with a whimsical nature. The imagery is carefully woven, and lovingly described. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jane Goldsmith
Jane Goldsmith marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Pedro Sampedro
Pedro Sampedro marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
I'm a short story writer and novelist and live in my native Edinburgh.

I began writing short fiction in the late 90s and had some success before taking an extended domestic break when I became a mother of twins. Picking up where I left off, initially with short stories, I finally made the leap and committed to a longer piece of work.

Nothing is Heavy is my first novel. It follows the story of one e
More about Vicki Jarrett...