Start by marking “Nothing is Heavy” as Want to Read:
Nothing is Heavy

Nothing is Heavy

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The Deep Sea chippy and the Fantasy Island bar face each other across the neon glow of Junction Street. Beth shovels chips on one side and Amber spins naked around a pole on the other. Their work is mundane and predictable, each night much like any other, until a sudden, dramatic death forces them to choose between relative safety and risk.

Into this situation wanders Georg
Published 2012 by Linen Press

To ask other readers questions about Nothing is Heavy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing is Heavy

Nicki
Mar 15, 2014 Nicki rated it liked it
I read this as part of a bookcrossing ring. Here is my review:

Mixed feelings on this one. Didn't love it or hate it.
Idea and characters are certainly more original than your average book. Really liked all three of them and would have rated this quite highly in the first part of the book. Then there does seem to be a bit of a slump where the story drags and I found I wasn't enjoying it quite so much, which lead to me taking a little longer to get through this than I would have liked. It does pi
Chrystyna
Jan 24, 2016 Chrystyna rated it really liked it
Gosh, this was so much better than I expected! I'm now unsure what to do with it next (re-release at the next meetup, or try and get it a wider audience via a bookray?).

Set in Edinburgh, although there's not much recognisable to hang onto, it centres around 3 main characters: Amber (an exotic dancer), Beth (works in a chip shop) and George (on a stag night, dressed as a monkey). They all co-incide one night and a series of events spiral them together. As we read about the events of the night, we
Gordon
Apr 27, 2013 Gordon rated it it was amazing
Maybe I was just in the mood to read this. To be honest, I rarely delve into this sort of fiction, not because I don't like it, but just because I have so many other goodies to tuck into ahead of it.

But I bought - and decided to read - Vicki Jarrett's "Nothing Is Heavy" because it was on a 3-for-2 promotion, and I just took a fancy to it. I think it's her debut novel, in which case it's all the more exceptional. Set in Leith, Edinburgh, it tells the intertwined tale of two woman, neither of whom
Tracey Scott-Townsend
Sep 10, 2013 Tracey Scott-Townsend rated it really liked it
I love how the stories of the three main characters, Amber, Beth and George connect, right from the start of the book. I identified with them individually – I found a little bit of my past in aspects of all their lives. That’s maybe because I’ve lived quite a few chapters of my own life. In Amber’s case it was working in a nightclub (though not a pole-dancing club in my case) in Beth’s, living with a band, in George – the coming to terms with an ended relationship. So I’m fully embroiled in thei ...more
For Books' Sake
Apr 14, 2013 For Books' Sake rated it liked it
"Sex, tattoos, potatoes, drugs, monkeys, angels and pole-dancing are just a few things you can expect from Vicki Jarrett’s début novel, Nothing is Heavy.

Shortlisted for the Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize 2011, Nothing is Heavy steps into the lives of local late-night chippie worker Beth, pole-dancer Amber and the apathetic and broken-hearted George." (Excerpt from full review at For Books' Sake.)
Dickson Telfer
Jan 13, 2014 Dickson Telfer rated it it was amazing
Great, believable characters and a plot that kept me turning those pages. Jarrett is an exciting new author and I look forward to seeing what else she has up her sleeve.
penelopewanders
Coincidences and strange encounters - fate? I found the beginning of the book difficult, but enjoyed it more once Beth and Amber began their getaway. George comes off as a slightly pathetic figure, which is a bit of a shame. I ended up being quite captivated by this - glad of the bookcrossing ring which brought it to my attention.
Colette Coen
Oct 31, 2012 Colette Coen rated it it was amazing
A beautifully crafted book which brings together three broken characters on one fateful Saturday. What do gorillas, angels and a chip shop have to do with each other? Well, in Vicki Jarrett's fast-paced darkly comic novel fates are intertwined and everyone has a part to play in the final resolution.
KM
Oct 08, 2012 KM rated it it was amazing
This is such an unique book, unlike anything else out there! It takes place one night on a street that could be anywhere in the UK that has dodgy nightlife, strip clubs and chippies. Fast plot, funny and full of wry observations, and a great human/monkey character, George.
Sandra
Jan 19, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Memorably different characters and the street where much of the action takes place a well-drawn stage, tragedy and humour and a host of coincidences. Very well-written.
And very true that the story stays with you after it's read. Impressive, that.
Kathryn
Nov 13, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: linen-press
A profound and witty read that I would recommend to anyone. It makes you want to go out and live life more fully--and yet not put the book down.
Amabel Thornton
Mar 31, 2013 Amabel Thornton rated it really liked it
A lovely easy to read book with a whimsical nature. The imagery is carefully woven, and lovingly described. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Haydn Wilks
Haydn Wilks marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Dr Ailsa Holland
Dr Ailsa Holland rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Stuey
Stuey rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Shelley Day Sclater
Shelley Day Sclater rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Beatriz
Beatriz marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Poppy
Poppy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Tony Williams
Tony Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Rachel Jane
Rachel Jane rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Chris Scott
Chris Scott rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Jane Goldsmith
Jane Goldsmith marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Charlotte Otter
Charlotte Otter rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2013
Laura Jones
Laura Jones rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
I'm a short story writer and novelist and live in my native Edinburgh.

Nothing is Heavy, my first novel was shortlisted for the Saltire Society Scottish First Book of the Year Award 2013.

My first collection of short stories, The Way Out was published by Freight Books and has been long-listed for both the Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award 2015 and the Jerwood Fiction Uncovered Prize 2
More about Vicki Jarrett...