Start by marking “Malachi's Word (The Bar Next Door, #1)” as Want to Read:
Malachi's Word (The Bar Next Door, #1)

Malachi's Word (The Bar Next Door #1)

Drunken confessions. Sobering friendship. And two cowboys gambling on love...

The Bar Next Door, Book 1

Could he love me? Malachi has wanted to know the answer since his best friend, Daniel, confessed to being gay. He has never forgotten that long-ago conversation, or the secret hope that another confession would follow: that Daniel is in love with him.

Daniel is—and always h
Published November 6th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Malachi's Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malachi's Word

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blog of Sid Love.

Danny and Malachi have been best friends ever since they can remember. From growing up to coming out, they’ve always been each other’s rock. But best friends is all they’ve ever been even though their feelings have gotten more intense, they’re afraid to lose one another if they confess their true desires. When Danny starts to spiral out of control with booze and twinks, Malachi’s had enough. He might not want to lose Danny over confessing his love
Karen
Jan 06, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mm
This was short intro to a new series. I would have liked a bit more story and plot building between the MC's, but I did like the characters that were introduced in this story and am willing to continue on to the second story and see how that goes. Got my fingers crossed that things get better and there is a stronger story line happening.
This was probably more of a 2.5 than 3 star read for me.
Mtsnow13
Jan 06, 2013 Mtsnow13 rated it liked it
Darn. Some of these short stories don't seem to have any depth at all. This one was hard to believe that they knew each other so long but were clueless to each other.

Not too bad for using up time but would have enjoyed more story development, or background rather than jumping right into the 'angst' of misunderstanding.
GayListBookReviews
Oct 23, 2012 GayListBookReviews rated it liked it
I love the idea of slightly drunken cowboys two-stepping through my heart, and this short story is written well enough I had no trouble reading it. It’s well paced, has nice settings, and the characters are attractive.

But here’s the kicker, my darlings: the entire story revolves around a lack of communication. Mal has been in love with his friend, Danny, for years and never said a word. Unbeknownst to Mal, Danny feels exactly the same way and one night, liquored up and half crazy with lust and f
clear skies
Jan 02, 2014 clear skies rated it did not like it
Typical story about two best friends who can't tell each other they're in love with the other, because it might jeopardise their friendship.

The end.
Elspeth
Dec 12, 2012 Elspeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: mmr
All I can think of to say about this book is that the author was trying to hard to make a story. The plot was thin, the attraction boring, and the climactic ending was a joke.

meh.
Candice
Nov 13, 2012 Candice rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Pretty typical friends to lover story which was an easy and light read.
Fernanda Parente
Aug 25, 2014 Fernanda Parente rated it really liked it
Too small. I want more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 Stars

Over the last eighteen months or so, I’ve grown to love and appreciate the M/M genre. Maybe it’s because I’ve had so many gay friends in my lifetime, but it could also be the visual it brings to mind. I can’t help but think of two hot, macho men going after what they want from each other….yeah, there’s something to be said for the pictures in one’s mind. I’m really excited to be reviewing one of Lissa Matthew’s first books in this genr
Cathy Brockman
Jan 21, 2014 Cathy Brockman rated it liked it
Shelves: cowboys
Review Written for http://mmgoodbookreviews.wordpress.com/
Malachi is part owner of The Bar next Door with his friend Eli. Mal has to sit every night and watch his best friend Daniel hit on guys and get sloppy drunk, wishing it could be him going home with Daniel and wondering why he does this every night. Daniel got a ranch near Mal’s bar so he could at least be close. He has always loved mal since they were boys but knew if he ever told him he would lose him. After his stint in the service, he
Idamus
Sep 10, 2016 Idamus rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
Malachi & Danny have been friends their whole lives. Now they're in love with each other, but neither one knows it. And they're both too afraid to tell each other because they don't want to lose their friendship.

Danny finally works up the courage to tell Mal after months of getting plastered in his bar. Instead of jumping on him like white on rice, Mal just is, like a bump on a log. Then he refuses to take advantage of Danny while he's drunk. (I'm actually ok with that part.)

The next morning
Riayl
Jun 24, 2013 Riayl rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
I really liked the idea of the story. *sigh* But there just wasn't really anything there. I didn't feel like I ever got the chance to connect with either of the characters. They've both been in love with each other for years and afraid to say it because they don't want to lose each other, but I just didn't get the feeling of longing and fear of rejection and such, that I was expecting. *shrug* Maybe I'm getting too picky. I think I need to instate a story length rule because I just don't seem to ...more
Tam
Mar 21, 2016 Tam rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
This just didn't really do it for me. Okay, I get it, long time friends, don't want to ruin it because better to be friends than nothing but damn, the guy is in the dumps, depression, drinking, sleeping around (supposedly) and you figure that's better than fessing up? And even after the other guy says I want you, you still act like you're afraid to scare him off by confessing back? Eh. I just didn't care so much by then. Too frustrating.
Janie
Apr 18, 2014 Janie rated it liked it
God could Malachi and Danny be anymore ignorant about each others feelings, lol. They were so cute and it was hard to read bout each other feeling so much in love with one another but not feeling they could do anything about it. Would have been a much better story had it been longer.
Meggie
Jan 17, 2014 Meggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, cowboys
I would usually rate such a story higher, at least three stars, but a storyline here is way to short. Mostly I liked Malachi and Danny, but to read a story about a love confession between two best friends, just didn't feel enough.
Shari
Oct 26, 2012 Shari rated it it was amazing

I love stories of friends to lovers!
Summer
Nov 26, 2012 Summer rated it really liked it
This was a VERY short friends to lovers story. The characters were great, I just wish there was more of them. I see that it is a series and look forward to seeing this couple more.
Barbara
Dec 15, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
A short, sexy, M/M friends to lovers story. I really enjoyed these two characters and loved their HEA.

Recommended read.
~SexyBookWorm~
Jan 26, 2013 ~SexyBookWorm~ rated it really liked it
Malachai and daniel were so adorable! They both held their feelings back out of fear and lost time together because of it.
Kris
Dec 30, 2012 Kris rated it it was ok
2-3 stars. I'll probably be changing it between the two. Also, interested in reading others in the series.
V
Dec 09, 2012 V rated it it was ok
I'm afraid there is nothing new about this "Friends to lovers" story.
Jilrene ♥
Nov 22, 2013 Jilrene ♥ rated it really liked it
Sweet little short story. Not insta love. Believable and well written.
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Jazz
Jazz rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Robin
Robin rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2014
pkczetalife
pkczetalife rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Libraryangel
Libraryangel rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Lisa Littlefield
Lisa Littlefield rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Came Upon a Midnight Clear
  • The Strength of a Man
  • Long Hard Ride (Prentiss, #2)
  • Wallflowers
  • Beyond the Edge (The James Lucas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Park at Sunrise
  • Life, Over Easy (Fragments, #1)
  • Color of Grace (Cost of Repairs, #2)
  • Wanting Sam
  • Room to Grow
  • The Gentleman's Keeper
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • Unbroken Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #2)
  • Making Ends Meet
  • Bomber's Moon (Under the Hill #1)
  • Nine-tenths of the Law
  • Sole Support
  • Scars (Scars #1)

The Bar Next Door (2 books)
  • Eli's Promise (The Bar Next Door #2)