Start by marking “The Dhammapada” as Want to Read:
The Dhammapada

The Dhammapada

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,060 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
The Dhammapada is a versified Buddhist scripture traditionally ascribed to the Buddha himself.
The Dhammapada consists of 423 verses in Pali uttered by the Buddha on some 305 occasions for the benefit of a wide range of human beings. These sayings were selected and compiled into one book as being worthy of special note on account of their beauty and relevance for moulding
Published May 30th 1973 by Penguin Classics (first published -500)

Ahmed Oraby
من اجتنب الخطأ، سمّي طاهرًا،
من عاش متطامنًا، سمي متقشفًا،
ومن تخلص من أوضاره، سمّي حاجّا

Diamond Cowboy
Jun 15, 2015 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dhammapada is a collection of Budist writings. These explain their chor beliefs. I found this a very intreaguing read. I am a Christian but I find it very informative to study other people's belief system. The Budist's beliefs are based primarily on love but it has a very practical side of how to conduct one's life here on earth. It does not speak to much of the life her-after. I plan to study further into the Budist religion to gain a more informative opinion. I would recommend every one st ...more
Noor Sabah
Feb 03, 2016 Noor Sabah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بوذا الرائع، اين انت عنا؟!
Roxana Saberi
Jul 14, 2012 Roxana Saberi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just reread this. Little and big gems of wisdom throughout.
tighe
Mar 29, 2007 tighe added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Very reflective and wholesome moral truths for living, quite a fresh read in the world of inconsequential candy reads. While one might not agree with every Buddhist principle for living, as I myself don't, the general truths that you pick up and contemplate throughout the day are hard to escape. Easy and quick, yet full of substance and worthy of review time and again.
Surgat
Oct 05, 2009 Surgat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tradition, religion
It's mostly just an assortment of platitudes.

Examples:

Ch. VI, 78.

>>"Let one not associate
With low persons, bad friends.
But let one associate
With noble persons, worthy friends."

Ch. VIII, stanza 100.

>>"Though a thousand the the statements,
With words of no avail,
Better is a single word of welfare,
Having heard which, one is pacified."

Ch. XXI, stanza 290.

>>"If by sacrificing a limited pleasure
An extensive pleasure one would see,
Let the wise one beholding extensive pleasure,
Jun 18, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Thou shalt not live combined with no soup for you. I feel compelled to say more inane things, but restraint is foremost in my mind after reading the Dhammapada. It gets a low rating because I didn't learn anything new.

My favourite verses:

#50: One should not have regard for the bad deeds of others, nor the things done and left undone by others, but only for the things done and left undone by oneself.

#204: He who does not exert himself at the time of exertion, who though young and strong has com
Cassandra Kay Silva
Apr 28, 2011 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Very good edition. The text is beautiful. The message is good. This is the kind of thing that can be read and reread throughout your lifetime and will bring different meanings at different places in your life. I got a copy at the library. I will be looking for a personal copy to keep for my own. So beautiful. I really appreciated the accompanying notes.
Abailart
Jun 02, 2008 Abailart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
To read forever.
Arun Divakar
Sep 09, 2011 Arun Divakar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There are books to be read and books to be comprehended. The second class is like learning to ride a bike : you climb on it to fall down & you keep repeating the gesture until at least shakily you can move forth a few feet unaided. What is contained in this book while at a first read is absurdly simple in its spartan-ness is a very difficult set of guidelines to live with.

The inspiration to know more about the Buddha was an unlikely source, a little trinket I bought. It was a resemblance of
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
A wide-ranging and systematic sampling of Buddhist teachings, particularly in Theravada Buddhism, coming as it does from the Khuddaka Nikaya of the Pali Canon (see the external links section for valuable resources, including the Access to Insight collection of translated material). Highly economical and eminently accessible, these verses are indispensible in addressing the myriad misapprehensions and misrepresentations of concepts like karma, detachment, emptiness, et al. often made in casual la ...more
Ibrahim Saad
Oct 12, 2014 Ibrahim Saad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
كان عندي حب إستطلاع إني أعرف اللي بداخل الكتاب ده .. خصوصاً إن عنوان الكتاب "الدامابادا كتاب بوذا المقدس" جذّاب جداً
واني قرأت بعض مقولات منسوبة لبوذا ..
لكن الكتاب برأيي .. سطحي او أن عنوانه كبير اوي على الكلمات اللي فيه
عن النرفانا وتطهير النفس والبعد عن الدنيا بشهواتها و زينتها ، والحكمة والاتزان والتخلص من الآلام والمعاناة .. الخ مما هو معروف عن البوذية وتعاليم الدامابادا .. لكن لم اشعر بعمق او لم أشعر أي كلمة فيه -_- وان كان بعض الكلمات ممكن تنال اعجاب اي حد يعني !

كتاب تبدأه وتخلصه وبس :'D

م
Angie
Oct 28, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, 2009
After some anonymous person on the internet tried to school me on what "karma" is, and ended up telling me "sorry for your ignorance, go read a book," I realized that I hadn't read The Dhammapada this year.

I purposefully sought out a different translation than the one I own a copy of, and found a translation by "various Oriental scholars" edited by F. Max Muller. I still prefer the Byrom translation, although there are things in this translation that really came through for me.

Favorite passages:
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Over the summer I've collected Penguin's Little Black Classics, a collection of 80 little booklets from all parts of world literature. Now, I'm reading them in a random order.

This booklet contains 'Captivating aphorisms illustrating the Buddhist dhamma, or moral system. '

I must admit that I read and rated it purely based on reading it as a piece of literature, rather than spiritual. And, to be quite frank, it was not an easy read. It wa
7jane
Mar 26, 2015 7jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-other
A re-read, this time in English translation. I got the Oxford version, because its form looked good in Amazon review (also its introduction is very clear and interesting; its explanatory notes are very useful too, very clear).

I think I got more out of this this time, maybe a few years really changed things. I'm not a Buddhist, not believing in reincarnation for example, but even so I got a lot of enjoyment and inspiration out of this. It's a slim volume, so it can be read quickly, but it can als
محمد الحمراوي
نصوص قصيرة في صيغة وعظية ،

تشوبها مسحة فلسفية ،

تجعلك تتصوّر أن الطريق الذي يرشدك إليه الواعظ ،

إنما هو حصيلة سلسلة من التأملات الطويلة .

شخصياً وجدتها سطحية ومباشرة في مواضع كثيرة ،

وقد يكون السبب في هذا هذه الترجمة غير الحيادية أصلاً .

لكن ، على كل حال ، إذا قرأت هذا الكتاب فلن تجد نفسك معارضاً أو مختلفاً معها .

بل هي تبدو كأوليات يسهل أن يتفق حولها الجميع .
Greg
Jun 27, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, mysticism
I really appreciate the accuracy of S. Radhakrishnan's translations. His translation of the Upanishads is excellent as is his translation of the Gita. This particular volume is an excellent rendition of the Dhammapada. As a philosopher, he wrote a lengthy introduction to the doctrines of Therevada Buddhism. He also deals with some of the problems related to the historical Buddha.

This volume also provides not just an accurate translation, but also the transliterated Pali text. It is helpful for
Po Po
Apr 02, 2015 Po Po rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little book. It seems that Benjamin Franklin 'borrowed' many of these sentiments for Poor Richard's Almanack. There is an emphasis on hard work and restraint in activities of the tongue: eating and speech.

This is organized by subject matter into tiny chapters of one to three pages long: " impurity" , "self" , "happiness" and "evil" are a few examples.

Here is one overtly sexist idea I strongly oppose: "bad conduct is the taint of woman". And then there are some extremely obvious words
wayward cloud
Sep 30, 2015 wayward cloud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to wayward cloud by: Houellebecq
Shelves: kindle, non-fiction
El primer texto budista que leo en mi vida. Lo primero que me llamó la atención es su violencia, una especie de crueldad refinada que te explota en la cara (las itálicas son mías):

Eres como una hoja reseca y amarilla.
Los mensajeros de la Muerte ya se hallan
esperando por ti. Te hallas en el umbral de tu
partida. Pronto harás el viaje y no tienes
provisiones para el camino (c. XVIII, 1)
Contempla este cuerpo al que llamas
“bello”. Es un conjunto interminable de
dolores, de enfermedades; nada en él es
p
Ramy Fouad
لن تقتلعَ الريحُ ، الجبلَ .
والإغواءُ
لن يلمس من كان قوياً
يقظاً ، وحييّاً
لن يلمس من يتحكم فى النفس ، ويتَّبعُ الدرب .

لا خوف على المطمئن
نفساً
وذهناً
لا خوف على من لم يعد يفكر بالحسن والردئ
لا خوف على من وعَى .

إن كان على امرئ أن ينتصر فى معركة
ألف مرة على ألف شخص
فإن من انتصر على نفسه هو المنتصر الأكبر .

لِمَ الضحكة ، لِمَ الفرحة

Nashwa Nasreldeen
مش حابة اقيمة بس هو يستحق القراءة
Karey
Dec 09, 2007 Karey rated it really liked it
There is always room for compassion.
Jake
Jan 26, 2012 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This translation of the Dhammapada is wonderfully lyrical and easy to read. I've found that sometimes reading English language Buddhist books can become a little routine- many are long on exegesis and short on poetry or memorable stories. A nice antidote is to switch up your reading by finding direct translations of important Buddhist sources. The problem, of course, is that the quality of translations varies widely, and a bad translation with no explanation can be difficult to read. That isn't ...more
Warun
Nov 04, 2008 Warun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every buddhest
Recommended to Warun by: I had to read it for a class
this was a spiritually fulfilling book.it helped me understand the life of the Buddha and the reasoning behind his actions and spiritual life decisions.Siddhartha is the son of a Brahmin's sun who ventures of because he wanted to live the life of samana who are wondering monks who live their life with our possessions and try to find eternal peace.he romeos the earth and ends up running into this man they called the Buddha ,which means enlightened one .he has lived for centuries and will finally ...more
Angie
Oct 28, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, buddhism
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world."

I had not heard of the Dhammapada until my friend Legdup pulled out a worn copy from the inside of his wallet. "It's always with me," he said.

I fell in love with that particular translation, because others seem clunky. "All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts" just doesn't do it for me.

I sought out this translation, and wh
Ben
Apr 29, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a book that requires some preparation before reading and concentration while reading to absorb its message, and is a work to revisit again and again. As Ram Dass writes in the foreword: "Read them slowly . . . a phrase at a time." Why? Because "These words come to you from purity; for them to touch you they must be received in purity. These words come out of divine simplicity; to liberate you they must be heard in simplicity. These words come from the soul; to feed that in you which thir ...more
Coyle
Dec 11, 2009 Coyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to read from a Christian/Western perspective. As an amateur reading his first Buddhist text, this is fairly interesting. I've heard it said that Eastern thought is basically asking the same questions that pre-Socratic Greek thinkers were asking, but is lacking a Plato or a Christ to give answers to those questions. I didn't see anything in this text that disproved that claim, but this is also pretty short and only representative of one Eastern tradition.

These seem to be some of the
Roumissette
May 01, 2013 Roumissette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginners and Advanced Spiritualists :)
Recommended to Roumissette by: a friend
Definitely a good read - the translation is really pure, and the message of the Buddha feels very powerful and inspiring, and still applicable to today's world. I really appreciate this book, and find a lot of inspiration from reading a chapter or even a certain passage.

The Dhammapada talks a lot about mastering the mind - but one thing against it, is that though it describes beautifully what is and what is not a truly concentrated mind, it does not tell me how to reach such a state, nor does it
Rachel Cotterill
This is one of the world's most influential philosophical texts, and lies at the heart of Buddhism, so it's not surprising that it was an interesting read with plenty to think about. The translation is quite old (hence being freely available online) and it isn't always perfectly clear. There are some ambiguities of language, for example in several places reaching Nirvana is defined as being above good and evil (amongst other things), and yet requiring the avoidance of evil (and sin) to achieve i ...more
Nicole
Apr 18, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly as one might expect (though more hell-talk than I had anticipated). It expounds virtuous ideals about how to live. Not all of it is particularly logical in its deductions and contradiction abounds, but then that tends to be the nature of religion. It is often down to interpretation I suppose.
Many of the similes are dubious but, at the very least, they are perhaps culturally informative.

Goodreads Librari...: Covers Missing - Dhammapada 28 31 Dec 29, 2015 02:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: Author for different editions 5 20 Dec 28, 2015 10:31AM
  • The Heart Sutra
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng
  • The Lotus Sutra
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On the Transmission of Mind
  • Zen Buddhism: Selected Writings
  • What the Buddha Taught: Revised and Expanded Edition with Texts from Suttas and Dhammapada
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead or The After-death Experiences on the Bardo Plane
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.” 550 likes
“Conquer the angry one by not getting angry; conquer the wicked by goodness; conquer the stingy by generosity, and the liar by speaking the truth.

[Verse 223]”