Start by marking “The Dhammapada” as Want to Read:
The Dhammapada

The Dhammapada (Sacred Books of the East #10)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  16,421 Ratings  ·  576 Reviews
The Dhammapada (Pāli; Prakrit: धममपद Dhammapada; Sanskrit: धरमपद Dharmapada) is a collection of sayings of the Buddha in verse form and one of the most widely read and best known Buddhist scriptures. The original version of the Dhammapada is in the Khuddaka Nikaya, a division of the Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism.
The Buddhist scholar and commentator Buddhaghosa explains
Published August 1st 1995 by Parallax Press (first published -500)

To ask other readers questions about The Dhammapada, please sign up.

Michael No, it's a traditional work whose authorship is unknown. However, Osho has written extensive commentators on the Dhammapada, e.g., …moreNo, it's a traditional work whose authorship is unknown. However, Osho has written extensive commentators on the Dhammapada, e.g., https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...(less)

Bookworm Sean
This really is the ultimate guide to optimism, positive thinking and, in a sense, idealistic happiness. Some of the ideas in here speak with clarity and wisdom, the logic behind them is clear and strong; however, I know that practising them is not an easy thing. I tried some of them for a time, a few were easy. Simple things like forgiveness and proactive thinking aren’t too complex or difficult to put into practice, but others require a great deal of willpower and perhaps a deep understanding o ...more
Diamond Cowboy
Jun 13, 2015 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing
The Dhammapada is a collection of Budist writings. These explain their chor beliefs. I found this a very intreaguing read. I am a Christian but I find it very informative to study other people's belief system. The Budist's beliefs are based primarily on love but it has a very practical side of how to conduct one's life here on earth. It does not speak to much of the life her-after. I plan to study further into the Budist religion to gain a more informative opinion. I would recommend every one st ...more
Ahmed Oraby
من اجتنب الخطأ، سمّي طاهرًا،
من عاش متطامنًا، سمي متقشفًا،
ومن تخلص من أوضاره، سمّي حاجّا

Noor Sabah
Oct 30, 2015 Noor Sabah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بوذا الرائع، اين انت عنا؟!
Caroline
So this happened to be the just-in-case-I-get-stuck-waiting-somewhere book I had thrown in my purse on the day my car, later, wouldn’t start as the temperature marched toward 100 degrees (F). I had plenty of time standing in the parking lot to consider Buddha’s message since the tow truck got stuck in Senior Open golf tournament traffic and took three hours to arrive. Did the advice to let go of sensory impressions, perceptions, anger and conditioned reactions help? Yes, I think it did, although ...more
Roxana Saberi
Jul 14, 2012 Roxana Saberi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just reread this. Little and big gems of wisdom throughout.
Surgat
Sep 23, 2009 Surgat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tradition, religion
It's mostly just an assortment of platitudes.

Examples:

Ch. VI, 78.

>>"Let one not associate
With low persons, bad friends.
But let one associate
With noble persons, worthy friends."

Ch. VIII, stanza 100.

>>"Though a thousand the the statements,
With words of no avail,
Better is a single word of welfare,
Having heard which, one is pacified."

Ch. XXI, stanza 290.

>>"If by sacrificing a limited pleasure
An extensive pleasure one would see,
Let the wise one beholding extensive pleasure,
tighe
Mar 29, 2007 tighe added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Very reflective and wholesome moral truths for living, quite a fresh read in the world of inconsequential candy reads. While one might not agree with every Buddhist principle for living, as I myself don't, the general truths that you pick up and contemplate throughout the day are hard to escape. Easy and quick, yet full of substance and worthy of review time and again.
Jun 18, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Thou shalt not live combined with no soup for you. I feel compelled to say more inane things, but restraint is foremost in my mind after reading the Dhammapada. It gets a low rating because I didn't learn anything new.

My favourite verses:

#50: One should not have regard for the bad deeds of others, nor the things done and left undone by others, but only for the things done and left undone by oneself.

#204: He who does not exert himself at the time of exertion, who though young and strong has com
7jane
Mar 26, 2015 7jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-other
A re-read, this time in English translation. I got the Oxford version, because its form looked good in Amazon review (also its introduction is very clear and interesting; its explanatory notes are very useful too, very clear).

I think I got more out of this this time, maybe a few years really changed things. I'm not a Buddhist, not believing in reincarnation for example, but even so I got a lot of enjoyment and inspiration out of this. It's a slim volume, so it can be read quickly, but it can als
Arun Divakar
Sep 08, 2011 Arun Divakar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There are books to be read and books to be comprehended. The second class is like learning to ride a bike : you climb on it to fall down & you keep repeating the gesture until at least shakily you can move forth a few feet unaided. What is contained in this book while at a first read is absurdly simple in its spartan-ness is a very difficult set of guidelines to live with.

The inspiration to know more about the Buddha was an unlikely source, a little trinket I bought. It was a resemblance of
Cassandra Kay Silva
Sep 25, 2010 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Very good edition. The text is beautiful. The message is good. This is the kind of thing that can be read and reread throughout your lifetime and will bring different meanings at different places in your life. I got a copy at the library. I will be looking for a personal copy to keep for my own. So beautiful. I really appreciated the accompanying notes.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Dhammapada, Anonymous
عنوان: راه آیین ذمه پده، یا، سحنان بودا: با مقدمه ای در باره زندگی بودا و توضیح اشعار متن؛ داماپادا؛ عنوان قراردادی: دهاماپادا؛ نویسنده: ناشناس؛ مترجم: عسکری پاشایی؛ تهران، انجمن فلسفه ایران، 1357؛ در هفت و 326 ص؛ عنوان دیگر: دمه پده؛ موضوع: کتابهای مقدس بودیسم قرن 20 م
Karan Bajaj
Jan 11, 2016 Karan Bajaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. The Buddha is the closest figure I've had as a role model in my life and this elegantly translated compendium of his teachings rings very true to his word. Excellent work.
ahmed Eid
Sep 20, 2016 ahmed Eid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

ياللهول

description
حسين آل دهيم
الكتاب حسب ترجمة المترجم (الشاعر العراقي سعدي يوسف) هي أقوال سيدارتا غوتوما (بوذا) تم جمعها في القرن الثالث قبل الميلاد في شمالي الهند وتم تدوينها في سيلان (سريلانكا) في القرن الأول قبل الميلاد أي بعد ما يقرب من على أربعمائة سنة من موت بوذا الذي كان في العام ٤٨٣ قبل الميلاد، هذه النصوص التي ترجمها المترجم هي معظم ماجاء في كتاب بوذا حسب ما أشار وقد رتبها في ١٨٦ آية تتوزع على ٢٢ سورة، وفي رأيي لم يكن المترجم أميناً في تعاطيه مع هذا الأمر حيث يقول في الترجمة " كنت أنتقي (مايريد ترجمته من كتاب الدام ...more
Abailart
Jun 02, 2008 Abailart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
To read forever.
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
A wide-ranging and systematic sampling of Buddhist teachings, particularly in Theravada Buddhism, coming as it does from the Khuddaka Nikaya of the Pali Canon (see the external links section for valuable resources, including the Access to Insight collection of translated material). Highly economical and eminently accessible, these verses are indispensible in addressing the myriad misapprehensions and misrepresentations of concepts like karma, detachment, emptiness, et al. often made in casual la ...more
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Over the summer I've collected Penguin's Little Black Classics, a collection of 80 little booklets from all parts of world literature. Now, I'm reading them in a random order.

This booklet contains 'Captivating aphorisms illustrating the Buddhist dhamma, or moral system. '

I must admit that I read and rated it purely based on reading it as a piece of literature, rather than spiritual. And, to be quite frank, it was not an easy read. It wa
Ibrahim Saad
Sep 07, 2014 Ibrahim Saad rated it did not like it
كان عندي حب إستطلاع إني أعرف اللي بداخل الكتاب ده .. خصوصاً إن عنوان الكتاب "الدامابادا كتاب بوذا المقدس" جذّاب جداً
واني قرأت بعض مقولات منسوبة لبوذا ..
لكن الكتاب برأيي .. سطحي او أن عنوانه كبير اوي على الكلمات اللي فيه
عن النرفانا وتطهير النفس والبعد عن الدنيا بشهواتها و زينتها ، والحكمة والاتزان والتخلص من الآلام والمعاناة .. الخ مما هو معروف عن البوذية وتعاليم الدامابادا .. لكن لم اشعر بعمق او لم أشعر أي كلمة فيه -_- وان كان بعض الكلمات ممكن تنال اعجاب اي حد يعني !

كتاب تبدأه وتخلصه وبس :'D

م
Hadrian
Aug 09, 2011 Hadrian rated it really liked it
Good clear poetic translation. Buddhism has always been interesting to me , as sometimes it approaches the level of philosophy so much as a religion - at least it does to my understanding. Good thoughts for living well.
Jake
Aug 17, 2009 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I am giving this book three stars because, if I have learned anything by reading it, it is that giving a rating of either 5 stars or 1 would be too extreme and passionate.

Okay, had to get that tacky wisecrack out of the way. Now, previously I have read The Holy Bible , The Koran , and The Book of Mormon , among religious texts I would classify as major. For some time, I've wanted to read Buddhist scripture as well.

My major response is that I felt healthier for having read The Dhammapada. So
Po Po
Apr 02, 2015 Po Po rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little book. It seems that Benjamin Franklin 'borrowed' many of these sentiments for Poor Richard's Almanack. There is an emphasis on hard work and restraint in activities of the tongue: eating and speech.

This is organized by subject matter into tiny chapters of one to three pages long: " impurity" , "self" , "happiness" and "evil" are a few examples.

Here is one overtly sexist idea I strongly oppose: "bad conduct is the taint of woman". And then there are some extremely obvious words
Angie
Oct 28, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, 2009
After some anonymous person on the internet tried to school me on what "karma" is, and ended up telling me "sorry for your ignorance, go read a book," I realized that I hadn't read The Dhammapada this year.

I purposefully sought out a different translation than the one I own a copy of, and found a translation by "various Oriental scholars" edited by F. Max Muller. I still prefer the Byrom translation, although there are things in this translation that really came through for me.

Favorite passages:
Jo Woolfardis
Yes, it is full of wonder and I wholeheartedly agree with most of this, but it is very repetitive and as a result often dull. A hard slog to get through, you'd be wise to just find a summary list of the Buddha's teachings because this is just a broken record. Delightful, but only if you take it slow and, perhaps, ignore the fiction parts about god and hell. Still relevant today if only to stop people from being such idiots.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Soha
Feb 28, 2016 Soha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction

..الدامابادا و بكل تأكيد ليس بكتاب لمجرد قراءة واحدة، هذا كتاب لازم تحفظ ما جاء فيه و تعمل به

.تقرا الدامابادا تفهم ليش تنظيم طالبان سنة 2001 لما دخلوا باميان أول شئ حطموا تماثيل المُبجل بوذا
..أنا أُحب بوذا ، أحب تعليماته و ما ينادي به، السلام الداخلي و أن نصل للنيرفانا ، النيرفــانا
تحفظاتي
بس اصراره الدائم علي ضرورة "اطفاء الشهوة" اطفاء مش التحكم و اللي اراه مبدأ مخالف للفطرة البشرية ،و دائما تروادني كثير الاسئلة عن المفهوم البوذي لحياة ما بعد الحياة..

مهما كان خلفيتك الدينية، مسلم، مسيحي،كونفوشي
Greg
Jun 22, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, mysticism
I really appreciate the accuracy of S. Radhakrishnan's translations. His translation of the Upanishads is excellent as is his translation of the Gita. This particular volume is an excellent rendition of the Dhammapada. As a philosopher, he wrote a lengthy introduction to the doctrines of Therevada Buddhism. He also deals with some of the problems related to the historical Buddha.

This volume also provides not just an accurate translation, but also the transliterated Pali text. It is helpful for
محمد الحمراوي
نصوص قصيرة في صيغة وعظية ،

تشوبها مسحة فلسفية ،

تجعلك تتصوّر أن الطريق الذي يرشدك إليه الواعظ ،

إنما هو حصيلة سلسلة من التأملات الطويلة .

شخصياً وجدتها سطحية ومباشرة في مواضع كثيرة ،

وقد يكون السبب في هذا هذه الترجمة غير الحيادية أصلاً .

لكن ، على كل حال ، إذا قرأت هذا الكتاب فلن تجد نفسك معارضاً أو مختلفاً معها .

بل هي تبدو كأوليات يسهل أن يتفق حولها الجميع .
Chris Webber
Jul 19, 2009 Chris Webber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
What a delightful little book! It's got a permanent spot on my coffee table in the living room, I think. I've read the Dhammapada before and think it is a wonderful little compilation of common sense and karmic wisdoms. This easy to read book is enhanced with simple oriental artwork.
John White
Aug 12, 2014 John White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love all of the commentaries and translations. Eknath Esawaren had done the world a great service with his work. So far I have read his work on the Bhagavad Gita, the Dhammapada and the Upanishads... all are fantastic!
Goodreads Librari...: Covers Missing - Dhammapada 28 33 Dec 29, 2015 02:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: Author for different editions 5 20 Dec 28, 2015 10:31AM
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • The Heart Sutra
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng
  • The Lotus Sutra
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma
  • What the Buddha Taught: Revised and Expanded Edition with Texts from Suttas and Dhammapada
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead or The After-death Experiences on the Bardo Plane
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu (Shambhala Library)
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

Sacred Books of the East (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Upanishads, Part 1
  • The Sacred Laws of the Aryas Part I
  • Buddhist Suttas
  • Sacred Laws of the Aryas (Sacred Books of the East, #14)
  • The Upanishads, Part II
  • The Laws of Manu
  • The Vedanta Sutras With the Commentary Of Sankaracarya, Part 1
  • The Vedanta Sutras With the Commentary Of Sankaracarya, Part 2
  • The Vedanta-Sutras with the Commentary by Ramanuja: Sacred Books of the East, Volume 48
  • The Sacred Laws of the Aryas (Sacred Books of the East, #2 & 14)

“A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.” 613 likes
“Conquer the angry one by not getting angry; conquer the wicked by goodness; conquer the stingy by generosity, and the liar by speaking the truth.

[Verse 223]”