Start by marking “Merminia” as Want to Read:
Merminia

Merminia (Merminia #1)

In an underwater world that is as beautiful as it is ruthless, the mertribes are not about to make peace with each other. Selinne is a mermaid who is certain she can take care of herself. But when she is captured by the bloodthirsty Litiants, she finds unlikely help from Gabriel, a warrior who appears as indifferent as he is handsome. As Selinne struggles to make sense of ...more
Published September 7th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Merminia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merminia

S.K. Munt
Nov 19, 2013 S.K. Munt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, mermaid, love-triangle
Have you ever been swimming in the ocean on a chilly day and then stumble across a hidden patch of warmth? There's nothing like it. It instantly soothes and makes you feel welcome where before you felt uncomfortable and somewhat paranoid.
After months of scouring the virtual mermaid shelves and coming away slightly irritated, Merminia has become that delightful surprise-a patch of pleasant, familiar warmth.

What fascinates me is the fact that this book, in so many ways, is the polar opposite of my
Howard Parsons
Aug 19, 2012 Howard Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This reviewer has read quite a bit of  "Mer-fiction" as research for his own novel and has noticed that a lot of the stories fall into a somewhat predictable pattern such as human girl/boy meets a mer- man/maid who is/may be a prince/princess. While there is nothing particularly wrong with this sort of scenario - and a good number of this reviewer's favourite stories do fit this mould - he is nonetheless always on the look-out for something different and Emm Cole's Merminia certainly fits the bi ...more
Sunshine Somerville
Oct 22, 2013 Sunshine Somerville rated it really liked it
Mermaid stories are not usually my thing. Well, not since I was obsessed with “The Little Mermaid” as a kid. That being my only point of reference, I can’t really compare “Merminia” to other mermaid books, but I do know that I was very pleasantly surprised. This world under the sea is much more complex than I expected, and I really liked the use of different clans of mermaids to create a tense, almost political atmosphere. The characters are all completely believable, and the main character of S ...more
Tiana Dalichov
As a reader, I haven't read too much mermaid fiction. Not too sure why; maybe it's just because I haven't found anything that sounded intersting. But Merminia certainly struck a chord with me, and I loved it!

The premise of this novel is extremely unique, and I enjoyed learning about the different tribes of merpeople that exist in the world Emm Cole creates in Merminia. The tribes all had different values, customs, and beliefs, just like real people.

On that line, the characters were pretty awesom
WTF Are You Reading?
Nov 14, 2012 WTF Are You Reading? rated it really liked it
Emm Cole's "Merminia" is a welcome change from the "humanized" mer tales that seem to be all the rage at the moment. This tale in no way involves those of us who live above the waves, and in that alone sets a precedent for the mer storyline.

Selinne
In her we find a very realistic heroine. She is a mermaid who is not about to cower or live in fear; no matter the circumstance. This is not to say that she is rash in her decisions. That is very far from the case. She is in fact the one who sacrific
Ariel Mathis
I believe that the story of Merminia is the perfect definition of Fantasy. Cole did such a wonderful job on the details in this story. What I mean by that is she didn't over do it on the details to where the story was dragged out and make me lose interest. The under water world was fascinating & beautiful in my mind. Even the place where the Litiants dwell was beautiful in it's own dark way. I will not go into the story for fear of giving anything away. The synopsis tells you what it's about ...more
Lauri Schlierman
Oct 03, 2012 Lauri Schlierman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults (and those who wish they were!)
Shelves: sci-fi-fantacy
This is such a fun story! Mermaids have never been my first choice when selecting a book to devour, but this one has left me hoping for a sequel. The plot is exciting and unpredictable. Though the romance was easy to see coming, nearly every other twist caught me completely by surprise. I easily fell in love (or hate) with the characters, and I especially loved the heroine! The development of her character was great. She sounds like someone I would enjoy spending time with, and I look forward to ...more
Lisa
Aug 16, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a fantasy book that is completely original, well thought out and extremely well written. This book is fantastic. I was drawn in with the first paragraph. I loved the fact that I could not predict the ending.
I only hope the author continues the saga in another book.
Emm Cole

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Litiants vs. Merminians:
Fear -Sarah McLachlan
Rolling in the Deep -Adele

An outsider's perspective as entering the Litiant castle:
I Walk Alone - Tarja Turunen

Fix You -Coldplay
Stronger -Kelly Clarkson
Secret Garden -Br
brandy oliver
Sep 14, 2012 brandy oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merminia, by Emm Cole is definitely a treasure, a very unique one at that!!
I can honestly say I have never read a book about mermaids before, and I never even have seen a mermaid fantasy, suspense, romance novel before. Of course, both of our daughters loved the Disney mermaid, but that was for little girls;)
This book will actually grab your attention from the first page, and will keep your attention well until the end!
Emm Cole really has a tasteful, fresh, creative style that is written so well
Liz Meldon
Apr 14, 2015 Liz Meldon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

This was my first venture into the realm of mermaids, and I have to say, Cole has me hooked AGAIN. Merminia had a wonderful cast of characters, all of whom were fleshed out and unique, set against a beautiful backdrop that was so vivid it was like I'd lived in the various kingdoms all my life. What I love most about Cole's writing is her exceptionally wonderful ability to make me fee like her fantastical worlds are real. When you read her work, you see every detail, feel every emotion. The lore
Chad Mitchell
Dec 12, 2012 Chad Mitchell rated it it was amazing
It is not often that one will read a book about mermaids. The mermaid genre was not one that I knew existed. But Emm Cole has made a genre of her own, even if one existed before.
The water world that this author has created is a deep and enticing one. It drags you down to its depths and won’t let you go. But do not expect a retelling of The Little Mermaid. This is a much more fascinating tale. One that builds the beginning of a saga.
The story revolves around a mermaid named Selinne, a mermaid w
Heather McLaren
Oct 13, 2013 Heather McLaren rated it really liked it
Merminia is an underwater adventure that has its readers spellbound. Selinne is my favorite kind of heroin--exhuberant, outgoing and fearless. I loved the different tribes of mermaids, and some of their powers were pretty cool (the healing power being my favorite) And I have to say the way the Merminions show they have chosen a mate was just beautiful! The writing style, in some places, was a little difficult to follow (more poetic than straight outstory telling) but even that had an endearing q ...more
Tracy
Sep 19, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
If this review seems short, it's because I want to hurry up and start reading the sequel! Like, right now.

Overall, I enjoyed this read. I liked the underwater world Emm created, along with some great characters. And (view spoiler) I wasn't expecting that! There were only a few parts that felt a little slow for me, but I was probably just tired or something. One scene I really liked was when (view spoiler) So sweet!

Great jo
Joseph McGarry
Dec 12, 2012 Joseph McGarry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swimming, mermaids
Interesting take on mermaids. Most books have mermaids as a totally perfect kingdom, where everyone lives in harmony, and the only problems arise when they interact with humans. The Litiant empire reminds me of the Roman Empire. I thought it left itself open for a sequel, which there was. At first, I got lost in the characters, but I eventually got into it. All in all, a good book.

This review (and rating) also appear on Amazon.com. I received a free copy from the author in exchange for a review.
M.
Nov 02, 2012 M. rated it it was amazing
I had a wonderful time reading Merminia! I loved Selinne, the main heroine and her two fabulous love interests...thats right two! The sinister villian was pure evil and Emm Cole did an excellent job of taking a traditionally "sweet" mermaid fairy tale and weaving it into an exciting and blood thirsty, underwater jaunt! I loved that!
If you like monsters and magic and fun, I highly recommend it. I can barely wait for the next one!
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
Hold on to your hats, folks, this one is an absolute stunner. This is what high fantasy should look like. Dragons, two warring mermaid tribes, a forbidden romance that remains sweet even when things around them get ugly...it's all here and in beautifull written form to.
Well done to Emm, and I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment.
Tony
Aug 19, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merminia I really enjoyed Merminia. Emm Cole gave such visual descriptions and this book contained interesting and unique characterizations.
Cj
Aug 22, 2012 Cj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 3.5

Review on it's way.
Paige Bleu
Oct 09, 2012 Paige Bleu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review coming soon ;)
Molly Gray
Nov 17, 2012 Molly Gray rated it it was amazing
Full review to come....
Sherlyn
Mar 07, 2014 Sherlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This review was originally posted on Mermaid With A Book.

4.5 stars.

This book was such a thrill to read. I felt like I was on a roll, having read another fin-tastic mermaid book after my last one.

By chapter 3, I was hooked. We know a war between the Merminians and Litiants is brewing, and because of that, the Merminian mermaids are worried for the mermen. At the same time, Cole dishes out the basics of Merminia: the mermaids emit healing light rays from their hands (which change colour depending
S.K. Munt
Jun 19, 2014 S.K. Munt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Heather Rigney
Feb 26, 2013 Heather Rigney rated it really liked it
Ms. Cole crafts a world in which several species of mermaids coexist beneath the sea.

The book begins with an overview of the story within her story—a myth that explains the creation and subsequent division of land-dwellers/sea-dwellers through the creation of a ring. At first, I thought: a little too Tolkein—ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL! But no, it leaves the notion of Middle Earth behind in a hurry.

Operating on a territorial clan-system, the mers in her story are physically different in their app
Amy
Oct 25, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-reveiw
There is a war raging in the sea. Litiant’s are searching for the ring of Adessia and killing all Mermaids and Mermen in the process. No one knows where the ring is. But that doesn’t matter. Selinne goes off on her own again and gets herself in trouble. Aramis is there and get’s captured too. The Litiant’s are pleased to have Selinne, she is a healer. She can fix them after battle! Selinne finds an unlikely ally within the walls of her prison. The Merminian’s join with a warring pod of Mer peopl ...more
Pete Tarsi
Apr 25, 2015 Pete Tarsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mermaids
I love mermaids, and after writing and publishing my own mermaid novel for my daughters, I decided to explore what other mermaid tales were out there, so I dove into the world of "Merminia."

The book is categorized as a Teen/YA book, so I went in expecting there to be either teen mermaids or interactions with human teens, as so often is the case. There weren't any humans at all in the book, and the mermaids have long life spans so I'm not sure if they can technically be considered teens. However,
Kim
Sep 09, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something about the word underneath the waves that is so alluring to me. The salt water, the sand, the beauty of a world so deep that those of us with legs rarely get to experience it. This book had all of that and so much more.

Merminia is the story of Selinne, a Merminian mermaid who is the sister of her tribe's leader. Their tribe is at odds with another, the Litiants, a rather bloodthirsty tribe on a quest for an object long lost to the undersea kingdoms. Selinne finds herself in the
Sarah Banera
I was really hyped for a book that delved into the world of Mermaids and Mermen. This one introduces you to the world, but I was left wanting. I liked the overall plot with the differing clans and the conflict that kept the plot moving, but was disappointed in the delivery. I think that Ms. Cole did a good job of introducing her character and the world that they interact with, but I felt that she lacked the robust voice that should shine through. I felt that the story could have been taken to gr ...more
Tysha
Mar 06, 2013 Tysha rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tysha by: Emm Cole
Shelves: fiction, my-hoard
I very much enjoyed this book. It's not something I would have normally picked up as although I love fantasy fiction, I tend to go for dragons rather than mermaids. But Merminia kept it's watery grip on me all the way through :) This story of love and war under the waves is so well written, with characters and places that have been wonderfully thought out and described, it was very difficult to put down.

And, even though they were a small part of the story, there were dragons!

I would definitely r
Jess
Sep 02, 2012 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2012, fantasy
I'll be honest, I picked this book up solely because I know the author and wanted to support her and to see what she came up with. The world she created was beautiful and I loved how each clan of merpeople had different magical abilities. Selinne was a great character and I loved how independent she was.

The romance part of this book wasn't my favorite. It seemed a little formulaic but those who love the Twilight series (which I did not) will definitely love it.

Overall it was a fun read and I'm
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bloggers/Book Lov...: Review Copies of Merminia Series 7 12 Nov 21, 2014 09:04AM
YA/NA FANATICS: 3 Authors, 3 Genres, 3 Titles ALL Mermaid ALL FREE this Thursday and Friday! 1 7 Jun 22, 2014 05:07PM
Fantasy Romance: Merminia 38 11 Feb 22, 2014 08:47AM
YA Paranormal and...: FREE Book Series 2/22 -2/24 1 16 Feb 22, 2014 08:46AM
Book Junkies: FREE Kindle Series Download 1 7 Feb 22, 2014 08:34AM
}~>O MERBOOKS: T...: Merminia 52 53 Feb 22, 2014 08:12AM
Paranormal and Ho...: Review Copies of Merminia Series 1 13 Feb 15, 2014 03:59PM
  • The Call of the Deep (The Matchless Deep, #1)
  • Awaiting Destiny
  • Heads Or Tails (The Fairytail Saga, #3)
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Beyond the Sea (Shades of the Sea, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Fins
  • Finding Summerland (The Ameryn Chronicles #1)
  • Captive Mermaid
  • Finned (The Merworld Water Wars, #1)
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Mermaid Park
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • Merrow
  • Mythos (Mer Chronicles, #1)
  • Surface
  • Lullaby (Lullaby, #1)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
Emm Cole is the indie author of THE SHORT LIFE OF SPARROWS, a gothic romance which was an award winner for Readers' Favorite in 2015 supernatural books. She is also the author of MERMINIA and KEEPING MERMINIA, a YA dark fantasy duology.

Emm is an incurable night owl who likes sweaters, rainy downpours, crazy prints on socks, Johnny Cash & The Rolling Stones at hideous decibels, and sitting qui
More about Emm Cole...

Merminia (2 books)
  • Keeping Merminia (Merminia, #2)

“You will never be lost to me, Selinne.” 2 likes