Start by marking “Songbird” as Want to Read:
Songbird

Songbird

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  14 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In 2016 Songbird was featured in Baer Book Press as the best opening line in a historical romance.

Isabelle Asquith has only one ambition in life and that is to become an opera singer. To do this she must attend The Royal Academy of Music in London and become classically trained. Isabelle is a widow and has a young son to support and the fees for the academy are beyond her
Published September 1st 2012 by Julia Bell Romantic Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Songbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songbird

Tori Clare
Jan 21, 2015 Tori Clare rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for Songbird

I'm rounding this up on the star rating, rather than down. Romance is not my preferred genre, especially not historical romance, but I do like to shake my reading up and try anything and everything in the interests of variety and a broad reading experience. I prefer to rate a book on quality rather than whether or not it suited my personal taste.

So.... this book was well written, well researched, well planned. It was well done. No book would be of interest without a huge,
Bluejay44
Jul 15, 2014 Bluejay44 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have reread this prior to reading the sequel, A Tangle of Echoes and enjoyed it even more second time around. So have upped my rating from 4 to 5 stars. The characters are all interesting, with their own aims in life. The way these intersect, some briefly others for a lifetime held my interest much more on the 2nd reading.
This one, like all of Julia Bell's books are keepers for me.
Anna Faversham
Oct 29, 2014 Anna Faversham rated it really liked it
Four stars = really liked this - and I did!

Songbird is a superior historical romance, nothing fluffy, and well worth reading. I was totally absorbed in this well-crafted love story and I would definitely recommend it.

I will be reading more of Julia Bell's books.
Brenda
Feb 16, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this one. The story was a story...about what a person canbe pushed to do when they are dirt poor and really really want something and has it waved at them or an end to a means and what they will do for the chance of a lifetime but a very very hard decision and one that could be a very bad choice aslo... the book was an interesting read with some great background story to it, but I did not really connect with the characters. The story was intersting and I sped through it pre ...more
Melodie
Jan 11, 2015 Melodie rated it really liked it
This is a lovely historical romance set in the Great Britain in the late 1800's and very early 1900's. A young woman embarks on a quest to become a celebrated opera singer. That burning desire leads her from a mining community in Wales to London. From early days of teaching music to decidedly untalented youngsters to keep her head above water,to reaching the pinnacle of her career as she tours England.
On this life journey there are hard choices to make,narrow paths that branch off the main rou
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
AMZN Freebee
Sequel: Tangle of Echoes
Rhiannon Clough
Nov 05, 2013 Rhiannon Clough rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens, young adults
Didn't have great expectations going into the book.. but once I started it just drew me in!
The story goes on about over 12 years or so- the only complaint is that it cuts out maybe a year of time in one go..
Other than that, it was a brilliant book, and I fell in love with the characters.
Definitely worth the read, will take you on a journey through tears and laughter- I didn't want to put it down!
Lindsay
Nov 22, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 11/22/2012
Amanda Frank
Amanda Frank marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Susan Emashowski
Susan Emashowski marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Lezli B. Scott
Lezli B. Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Prisilla
Prisilla marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Juliaoak
Juliaoak marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Beth Tanner
Beth Tanner marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jo Notary
Jo Notary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Mr A
Mr A added it
Jan 02, 2016
Phil Patterson
Phil Patterson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 23, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Isabel Alexander
Isabel Alexander marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sequel to Songbird 1 3 Feb 28, 2014 06:52AM
Julia Bell lives in West Yorkshire, England and has two children and five grandchildren. She has been a qualified nurse, training at St James's Hospital in Leeds and also Darlington Memorial Hospital.

She also spent six years working for the Prison Service. When her children were young she successfully completed an Open University degree studying psychology and sociology. She was a member of the R
More about Julia Bell...