Start by marking “Songbird” as Want to Read:
Songbird

Songbird

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Isabelle Asquith has only one ambition in life and that is to become an opera singer. To do this she must attend The Royal Academy of Music in London and become classically trained. Isabelle is a widow and has a young son to support and the fees for the academy are beyond her means as a music teacher. Her only recourse is to apply for the annual scholarship.

In the summer o
Published September 1st 2012 by Julia Bell Romantic Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Songbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songbird

Tori Clare
4.5 stars for Songbird

I'm rounding this up on the star rating, rather than down. Romance is not my preferred genre, especially not historical romance, but I do like to shake my reading up and try anything and everything in the interests of variety and a broad reading experience. I prefer to rate a book on quality rather than whether or not it suited my personal taste.

So.... this book was well written, well researched, well planned. It was well done. No book would be of interest without a huge,
Anna Faversham
Four stars = really liked this - and I did!

Songbird is a superior historical romance, nothing fluffy, and well worth reading. I was totally absorbed in this well-crafted love story and I would definitely recommend it.

I will be reading more of Julia Bell's books.
Brenda
Just finished reading this one. The story was a story...about what a person canbe pushed to do when they are dirt poor and really really want something and has it waved at them or an end to a means and what they will do for the chance of a lifetime but a very very hard decision and one that could be a very bad choice aslo... the book was an interesting read with some great background story to it, but I did not really connect with the characters. The story was intersting and I sped through it pre ...more
Bluejay44
I have reread this prior to reading the sequel, A Tangle of Echoes and enjoyed it even more second time around. So have upped my rating from 4 to 5 stars. The characters are all interesting, with their own aims in life. The way these intersect, some briefly others for a lifetime held my interest much more on the 2nd reading.
This one, like all of Julia Bell's books are keepers for me.
Melodie
This is a lovely historical romance set in the Great Britain in the late 1800's and very early 1900's. A young woman embarks on a quest to become a celebrated opera singer. That burning desire leads her from a mining community in Wales to London. From early days of teaching music to decidedly untalented youngsters to keep her head above water,to reaching the pinnacle of her career as she tours England.
On this life journey there are hard choices to make,narrow paths that branch off the main rou
Rhiannon Clough
Nov 05, 2013 Rhiannon Clough rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens, young adults
Didn't have great expectations going into the book.. but once I started it just drew me in!
The story goes on about over 12 years or so- the only complaint is that it cuts out maybe a year of time in one go..
Other than that, it was a brilliant book, and I fell in love with the characters.
Definitely worth the read, will take you on a journey through tears and laughter- I didn't want to put it down!
Lindsay
Nov 22, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 11/22/2012
suja
suja marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Constantine
Constantine marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Angela M.
Angela M. marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Angi
Angi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Bethany Swafford
Bethany Swafford marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Literary  Chanteuse
Literary Chanteuse marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Kim Hampton
Kim Hampton marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Opal Campbell
Opal Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
MaryannC.Book Fiend
MaryannC.Book Fiend marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Lady Day
Lady Day marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Sequel to Songbird 1 3 Feb 28, 2014 06:52AM
Julia Bell lives in West Yorkshire, England and has two children and five grandchildren. She has been a qualified nurse, training at St James's Hospital in Leeds and also Darlington Memorial Hospital.

She also spent six years working for the Prison Service. When her children were young she successfully completed an Open University degree studying psychology and sociology. She was a member of the R
More about Julia Bell...
The Wild Poppy If Birds Fly Low Broken Blossoms A Pearl Comb for a Lady A Tangle of Echoes