Start by marking “Irreparable Harm” as Want to Read:
Irreparable Harm

Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  6,074 Ratings  ·  595 Reviews
Winner of the 2012 National Fiction Writing Competition for Physicians and Lawyers

After eight long years, attorney Sasha McCandless is about to make partner at a prestigious law firm. All she has to do is keep her head down and her billable hours up.

When a plane operated by her client slams into the side of a mountain, killing everyone aboard, Sasha gears up to defend the
Published September 3rd 2012 by Brown Street Books (first published April 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Irreparable Harm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irreparable Harm

Monnie
Apr 17, 2015 Monnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legal and medical thrillers always top my list of favorites, most often in that order. So when I got an email from eReader Cafe early this month informing me that this one - the first in a series featuring attorney Sasha McCandless - at no cost, I read the description and took the plunge. Worst case, I told myself, it will cost nothing to find out I don't like it; but on the other hand, it could open up the door to a solid series.

Now that I've finished it, I'm happy to report the best-case scena
Brent
Sep 19, 2012 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed that Miller chose a somewhat unusual setting (Pittsburgh) for her debut legal thriller, Irreparable Harm. She was obviously writing about an environment she knows well, as this former patron of Pamela's Diner can attest. :-) Her descriptions of life inside a Big Law defense firm also rang true, as did her insightful observations regarding the ways that the personal relationships between attorneys and judges can subtly but monumentally impact cases at crucial times.

Lawyers can be a part
Kim
Aug 27, 2013 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, fast, pacy and very well written. The characters were well formed and believable. The plot engaging and concluded well. I think it really deserves a 4* rating but that is exactly where I struggled. It is undoubtedly a good book but perhaps this is also its greatest flaw. I just felt the author had been on a creative writing course and had stuck strictly to a predefined template. it was a little too formulaic for me. The author played it safe & I would have liked t ...more
Valerie
3.5 stars. Very technical vocabulary, probably too technical for my French brain. I did enjoy the plot line however, and thought this book was well written. Not much in terms of chemistry between the main characters but then again this isn't a romance novel. The author seemed extremely knowledgeable although I know nothing about lawyers and legal proceedings and whatnot.
Kate's Reads
Mar 23, 2012 Kate's Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The legal thriller "Irreparable Harm", by Melissa F. Miller begins with an airliner crashing into the side of a mountain for no apparent reason. All aboard are killed.

Sasha McCandless is a lawyer on track to soon make partner in her large law firm. The airline company is a client of the firm and the team scrambles to prepare for the inevitable law suits resulting from the accident. Until she discovers it wasn't an accident.

A company has developed an application that can take over control of a
Paul
Jul 25, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a friend's recommendation because he knows how much I dislike John Grisham. He was right. Melissa Miller's narrative and the central character she creates in Sasha are interesting, and I found myself actually engaged in a story that could, in the hands of a lesser writer, have become tedious to the point of agony.

In a few words, Sasha works for a mega-sized law firm, is working toward partnership, and lands a potential class-action case around a plane crash. Circumstances bec
Jessica
Mar 23, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sasha McCandless is an overachieving associate at a major law firm in Pittsburgh. Despite her diminutive size, she kicks some serious ass both in the court room, and in Krav Magra practice. I didn't care for her at first. She was a bit too perfect. But as the story developed, I grew to like the way that Sasha handled the plot twists that were thrown her way.
An airplane's coordinates are changed mid-flight, and it crashes into a mountain. The law firm that Sasha works for springs into action to d
Michelline
I have to agree with one review I read that this book is a decent legal thriller. As stated by the same reviewer you figure out the plot of the book well before half way in. That was a bummer, I would have liked to have been more surprised at who the culprits were.

Sasha is a good character, she's strong witted in the courtroom and knows how to defend herself with Krav Maga. I really don't have much to say about her, because most female characters in books are the same in ways.

Leo is still a my
Janet Mahlum
The book was a fairly enjoyable read until the author suddenly decided she had written enough pages. She gathered up all the baddies and put them together in one place, let Sasha McCandless have one last chance to show off her self-defense skills, let the police come busting in and load all the baddies in the police car except the one that went in the body bag. Sasha runs into the judge who, she thinks, has such a bad impression of her and discovers he knows the truth after all. The last few sen ...more
Jerry Grahs
I don't want to sound overly critical. This book sounded mildly interesting and was a free Kindle offering so I downloaded and read. Characterizations are cardboard cutouts. We are offered plenty of cliches and stereotypes. Outside of physical and ethnic characteristics of the heroine and her male sidekick we don't learn much about either one.

The heroine is a lawyer and Miller spends expends a great deal of effort describing the hierarchy a large law firm. This may be interesting to someone who
Lyle Nicholson
I got this book off of BookBub for free and was intrigued by it being a best seller on USA Today. It does hit all the things that people are anxious about. Plane crash, possible terrorism, big business and greed.

Where this book had me shaking my head, was there were too many instances where I'm wondering why on earth would the protagonist do some of the actions she does. I don't want to spoil that story, but a writer has to give the characters some kind of brains.

I did like the pace of the story
Sharon Michael
Jul 31, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am *not* a fan of legal thrillers but the airline link intrigued me so decided to try this as it was a free download. I'm very glad I did.

Not the usual 'lawyer mystery' at all. The airline crash investigation as the main element of the plot was a plus and the main character was very much an individual and the type of person I find interesting.

The law enforcement end of things seemed a little unrealistic at times, but I did not find it overly distracting. Very entertaining read and I've already
Frances
3.5 * An entertaining book which captures the reader at the get go as a Boeing 737 goes off course and slams into a mountain. Sasha McCandless is a smart and savvy corporate lawyer assigned to defend civil law suits from this catastrophe. At five feet three inches tall she is well trained, with bone breaking moves from combat Krav Maga training, and does serious damage to thugs who get in her way as they try to stop her from discovering why the plane crashed. Irreparable Harm moves at a good pac ...more
Doug Hoffman
Jul 05, 2014 Doug Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of legal thriller but on occasion I feel the need to clear my palate from my normal science fiction fare. Having said that, I really liked Irreparable Harm. The plot was twisty enough to hold the reader's interest, the characters are likeable and well developed, and the action plentiful. Even the legal details are presented in an interesting and understandable way. The writing is good though there were a few editing errors. In all, a fast, entertaining read. I liked it so much ...more
Cindy Jacobson
Aug 14, 2012 Cindy Jacobson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I picked up free. Sasha McCandless is an attorney in a presigous firm on her way to being a partner. Then an airline ( a major client) has a plane crash and that's when all the excitement starts. Sasha can certainly take care of herself when confronting anyone who tries to intimidate her. While their certainly were some cliches and I did figure out some of the people involved, it was a good book that I didn't want to put down,
Regan Isaacs
Not terrible but not great either

The story was entertaining but if you like a story to be somewhat believable then this isn't for you. Not incredibly difficult to figure out what was happening. The characters were not very developed or really likable. I also listened some to the audible version and the narrator wasn't great which is why I gave 2 stars rather than 3. With all that being said I still had to finish the story. Entertaining and light but a bit ridiculous too.
Delores
Sasha McCandless is a corporate lawyer, whose client’s plane just slammed into a mountain, killing everyone aboard. Was the plane crash an accident or was it murder. Sasha teams with a federal air marshal assigned to investigate the crash.

I was captivated after the first chapter. Good, suspenseful read with strong, believable central characters. I was thoroughly entertained and will definitely read the other books in this series.
Stephanie
This is a perfectly acceptable legal thrilled. There's nothing revolutionary about it, and I had most of the plot figured out before I was 40 pages deep. That said, these books are perfect for quick reads after the holidays, so I'm not complaining.

I purchased the second book in the series for my Nook, and I plan to read that before the New Year as well. The first book was a very quick read (finished it in just over 12 hours), and I suspect the second one will be as well.
Peg
Apr 13, 2015 Peg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable legal thriller

Irreparable Harm has lots going for it. I liked the spunky protagonist, who didn't need a man to rescue her. I liked the plot, which kept me reading on. I liked the characters, both good and bad, because they all had a reality to them. I even liked the legal detail, which was given in short bursts. It was a good read, not too intense, with heroes to cheer for. Just what I was looking for at the moment.
Rohit Enghakat
Oct 24, 2016 Rohit Enghakat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The book was good. I expected a courtroom drama when I downloaded it on kindle ( it was free !!). But there were hardly a few instances where the drama was played out in court. The main character is a lawyer who is also capable of killing people. It was fast and plot was also woven beautifully. Would not hesitate to pick up a book or download another Melissa Miller book.
Krista D.
Nov 21, 2012 Krista D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! It was fast paced, heroine was uber likeable, and the storyline was fine.

It's written not so much as a who-done-it, but rather as a how-they'll-get-caught. I liked that approach, since I'm not a big who-done-it reader.

Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Gina Basham
Aug 14, 2012 Gina Basham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this as a legal thriller. Some of the action was a little predictable and far fetched but still a great read.
Amit Tiwary
Jul 06, 2015 Amit Tiwary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Good legal thriller. This is my first read from Melissa F Miller and I will certainly love to read more from her.
Gerald Kubicki
May 26, 2016 Gerald Kubicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sasha is a almost super-hero who can fight and pratice law at the same time. It was a quick read.
Surreysmum
I thought this mystery was a cut above most of the first-of-a-series Kindle freebies I've tried. I enjoyed the balance between the fisticuffs action (Sasha McCandless is a practitioner of some sort of martial arts, and frequently finds occasion to use it) and the legal background. Miller is, apparently, a practicing commercial lawyer, and perhaps if I were more familiar with that world, I would have found the fairly detailed explanations of procedures and corporate culture in a large commercial ...more
Dave
Jan 24, 2017 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful roller coaster ride

I was delighted with speed of the plot and the believability of characters. Sasha grabbed me and pulled me along into her twisting and turning adventure. I was captivated plotting planning and execution of offensive and defense as she clawed her way to triumph. This book is a great read
Barbara
Mar 12, 2017 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. Kept my interest so that I read it in a weekend.

Fantastic read. Kept my interest so that I read it in a weekend. Oread to read the next. I hope there are a lot more by this author
Patti Carpenter
Feb 20, 2017 Patti Carpenter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an easy-reading page turner

Great characters and plot twists. The legal process and martial arts are well researched and/or imagined and developed. A good read.
Robb
Feb 19, 2017 Robb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice fast exciting read.
The Free Book Cha...: Irreparable Harm, by Melissa F. Miller 3 28 Jun 17, 2015 08:49PM
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Noble Beginnings (Jack Noble #1)
  • The Gray and Guilty Sea (Garrison Gage, #1)
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Setup on Front Street
  • Final Vector
  • Wrecker
  • Fatal Exchange (Fatal #1)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Motor City Shakedown (Bright and Fletcher, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • Illegal
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • The Ninth District (Volume 1)
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Past Imperfect

I am a writer, mother, wife, and lawyer. I write crime fiction.

I have been writing since my fingers could grasp a pencil. (Note to mom: no need to dig those early works out of the attic!)

I have a degree in English from the University of Pennsylvania (with a double concentration in medieval literature and creative writing poetry).
After college, I worked as an editor for three years before attendin
More about Melissa F. Miller...

Sasha McCandless (10 books)
  • Inadvertent Disclosure (Sasha McCandless, #2)
  • Irretrievably Broken (Sasha McCandless, #3)
  • Indispensable Party (Sasha McCandless, #4)
  • Improper Influence (Sasha McCandless, #5)
  • Irrevocable Trust (Sasha McCandless, #6)
  • Irrefutable Evidence (Sasha McCandless, #7)
  • Informed Consent (Sasha McCandless, #8)
  • International Incident (Sasha McCandless, #9)
  • Imminent Peril (Sasha McCandless #10)

“So, Sasha took charge of the meeting and set for herself the same goal she had every time she babysat her nieces and nephews: no blood; no property damage in excess of a hundred dollars; and everybody eats something.” 2 likes
“planespotters,” 1 likes