Start by marking “Me Hungry!” as Want to Read:
Me Hungry!

Me Hungry!

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
An inventive Stone Age boy takes matters into his own hands in a humorous, satisfying story for every young child who wants something NOW.

"Me hungry!" the boy pleads. "Me busy," say his preoccupied mom and dad. So the boy decides to go hunting, setting his sights on an elusive rabbit, a prickly porcupine, a too-mean tiger, and finally, a like-minded mammoth who’s more than
Published April 22nd 2008 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Me Hungry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me Hungry!

Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesOfficer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy RathmannMike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee BurtonWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney
Primary Storytime
87th out of 160 books — 23 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
152nd out of 189 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Liza Gilbert
Jul 31, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great way to teach kids how to annoy you in a grammatically incorrect fashion. I'm not sure what the point of the story is other than to play the caveman gimmick to death. The language is annoying, but the art is kind of cute.
Tara
May 24, 2012 Tara rated it liked it
Nice, bright pictures, cute story. But I'm not sure how wise it is to us "caveman language" in a book for children who are just learning to speak and read.
Andre
Jul 26, 2012 Andre rated it really liked it
Again, amazing visuals from Jeremy Tankard. Another simple and fun story well worth the read.
Jul 27, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
meh.
Betsy
Feb 25, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it
New authors and illustrators arrive on bookstore and library shelves every day. They pour out of design schools, writing classes, marketing firms, law schools, you name it, and every single one of them wants to be the one that created your child’s favorite book. When children look at books, they want something that will engage them in some way. When parents look at books, they want something that can be read 150 times without getting old. And when librarians look at books, they’re trying to snif ...more
Mimi Lala
Feb 03, 2014 Mimi Lala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
5/5 Stars!!!!!

This is a cute and simple story about a prehistoric boy who is really hungry. His parents ignore his requests and he goes off to find something to eat. It teaches about independence and friendship.

This story is very simple and easy to read. It can be used for any age group; babies through preschoolers. It isn't too wordy and can be read rather quickly. Children will really enjoy it and might even participate while being read to.

I absolutely loved it!

Kim
Nov 04, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
How much story can be told with 51 words? Quite a lot and the author/illustrator shows quite a lot with his art, too!
A cave person family is busy but their son is hungry. And finds his own way to solve his dilemma.

Help support Independent book stores - please use this link to find a store near you or to purchase - http://www.indiebound.org/book/978076...

Brittany
Oct 29, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I read this in a toddler storytime with another librarian. The kids LOVED IT. Lots of giggles! Fun for the reader and audience. Great for toddler age group (low word count, easy to get excited, and lots of colors and funny illustrations). I used it for a popocorn theme as there were not many books on popcorn that were appropriate for the age group.
Marc Lucke
May 27, 2016 Marc Lucke rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

It's unfortunate that the author defaulted to reinforcing traditional gender stereotypes in this book (and enough with the white cavepeople, please), but the art is cute and it can be a fun call-and-response bedtime story for preschoolers.

Library
Oct 05, 2014 Library rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story but the caveman language drove me nuts. I like that the caveboy finds a solution when his parents are busy. This story could be a great discussion starter on being independent in solving problems or patient for someone to help you. Tankard's drawings are simple but a perfect fit.
Jocelyne
Jun 02, 2014 Jocelyne rated it really liked it
I am becoming addicted to children's books! I loved this board book. In fact, as a librarian, I convinced visiting small children to sit and listen while I shared it with them. Not a lot of words. A simple but very entertaining story.
Nov 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I had a blast reading this one in my caveman voice at story time. Funny & sparsely worded.
Henry S
Mar 23, 2016 Henry S rated it did not like it
Awful. It only teaches kids how to speak with horrible grammar.
Aaron Wong
Aug 13, 2014 Aaron Wong rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sarah
So much for good English.
Tim Johnson
Oct 14, 2015 Tim Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-time
Edwin the cave boy is hungry. Did he ever think to go make himself a PB&J? No he whines at his parents to feed him. Unfortunately, they are both busy (apparently Edwin's parent don't know about birth control because he has like 6 siblings all under 4). Edwin decides to hunt and ends up befriending a woolly mammoth who helps him get and apple from a tree.

This goes well with This Orq! by David Elliot. We did a "cave paintings" telling the story of our day in story time. It was really fun.
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 Tdavis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
“Me Hungry!” “Me Busy.” This is a wonderful great story illustrating the a primal need and a friendship formed. The cartoon like illustrations will appeal to a young audience. With very few words this book tells the tale of a cave-child unsuccessful search for food. Funny and sweet. The words are boldly printed just like the emotions.

Early Literacy Skills:

Narrative Skills
Print Awareness
Print Motivation

Also, available as a board book.
Scottsdale Public Library
Told entirely in “stone age” dialogue, the simple story unfolds of a boy, his need of sustenance, and his ingenuity in finding both food and a friend when family members are busy in other pursuits. If you like this one, you may also like, "Me Want Pet!" 2012, by Tammi Sauer/Bob Shea. This time it’s a different, but still timeless, desire pulling at our cave boy protagonist. - Kate D.
Kirsten
Dec 02, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A tried and true favorite of storytimes! This book features a Caveboy who declares to everything and anything that he's hungry. The wording is sparse, but a good storyteller can drag out the short book and "ham" it up. Clean language and bright, simple pictures coupled with the Caveboy's grammatically tone-deaf persona make ME HUNGRY a joy to read time and time again.
Kristen Thompson
Mar 08, 2011 Kristen Thompson rated it liked it
This book is about a jungle boy who repeatedly says "Me hungry" but cannot find food because people are too busy to help him or he messes with the wrong animals. The sentences in the book are simple 2-3 word sentences which makes it an easy read. It is a pretty humorous book as well. No in depth plot, not too engaging.
Agnes
Oct 29, 2009 Agnes rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
ME HUNGRY. Me busy... me, me, me etc. I'm sure this very basic two word sentence structure in this story will be fun for some to read or listen to, but I thought it was very flat. The finale of the story doesn't seem that exciting and I'm not sure the youngsters would get it. The one star is for the excellent artwork.
J.F. Sanborn
Aug 11, 2011 J.F. Sanborn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What is a cave-boy to do when his mama and papa are too busy to feed him? HE HUNT! Well- that isn't as easy as it sounds! When the animals are too sneaky or dangerous to get a spear into, Tankard's little cave-boy has to find a new approach to filling his belly.

Another winner from Jeremy Tankard!
Kate
Mar 09, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
Cute and a fun choice for younger children. The book has a very few words and many bright and engaging pictures...I know it's unfair, since it's the point, but the grammar bothers me. I'm somewhat uncomfortable reading a book like this to children with developing language skills.
Samantha
Hilarious prehistoric picture book about a boy who is on a quest to find his own dinner and in the process meets a variety of creatures ready to teach him about human’s place in the world. This book has amazing illustrations and uses about two to three words per page.
Jen
Jul 29, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Jeremy Tankard knows his audience: kindergarteners! Although not as endearing a story as those of his earlier work (Grumpy Bird & Boo Hoo Bird), this very simple tale of a hungry cave-boy who makes a new friend is sure to delight toddlers and preschoolers!
Beth
Dec 20, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Families with children just starting to read
Recommended to Beth by: Found it in my shipment of new books at the library
This book is simple, but so very lovable. It would be easy for a new reader to put together the words with the pictures, and yet it's so much more enjoyable for children than many early reader books. I'll be recommending this one for weeks, I'm sure of it.
Shelli
Nov 02, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book about a hungry little cave boy who's parents are to busy to make him a snack. This could be a fun read aloud book for young kiddos because of all the silly sounds and faces the reader can make with the story.
Tricia
Oct 17, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
curious to try this with outreach preschool to see if they "get" it. love the art. love the grunting conversational tone. boys may relate since they have limited capacity to communicate. that comment is for zack. ha ha ha.
Barbara
Mar 20, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pre - K
By the author of 'Grumpy Bird' (which I adore!), this humorous look at caveman life and minimalist language has a similar bold, clean, expressive art style. It's great fun, but I think Grumpy Bird is still my favorite.
Natalie
Sep 08, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Susan D.
Little Edwin the caveboy faces more than just the Omnivore's Dilemna. It's not just what to eat when "you hungry" but how to get it yourself. I like that he takes the herbivore approach at the end.
Carly
Feb 11, 2013 Carly rated it liked it
Shelves: story
Very simple text written in a caveman dialect. A little cave boy is hungry but everyone is too busy to feed him. He goes off on the hunt and finally encounters an elephant who helps him find food.
  • Pigs to the Rescue
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat
  • The Chicken Problem
  • Move Over, Rover!
I get ideas by watching and listening all the time. I also keep a sketchbook and am constantly doodling and creating characters," Jeremy Tankard says. Growing up in Cape Town, South Africa, Columbia, South Carolina, Hazard, Kentucky, and finally Knoxville, Tennessee Jeremy Tankard, the son of a story telling father and a mother who oversaw libraries, was always surrounded by stories and inspiratio ...more
More about Jeremy Tankard...