Charade (Games, #1)

Charade (Games #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  27,528 ratings  ·  1,722 reviews
Nineteen-year-old Cheyenne tries to portray the perfect life to mask the memories of her past. Walking in on her boyfriend with another woman her freshman year in college threatens that picture of perfection.

Twenty-one-year-old Colt never wanted college and never expected to amount to anything, but when his mom's dying wish is for him to get his degree, he has no choice b...more
Published October 22nd 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Book Boyfriends
117th out of 4,511 books — 17,624 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberRule by Jay CrownoverThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
tattooed love boys
22nd out of 617 books — 2,465 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa

This isn't a fucking game anymore. No charades here. I don't know exactly what to call it, but whatever it is, it's ours. I'm going to latch onto it. And never let go.

description

HOLY EPIC BEAUTIFULNESS! I LOVED THIS BOOK!

SIGH!

Charade is not my first Nyrae Dawn book. I love this author, love her style of writing and I have loved each book that I have read from her. Charade is definitely no exception. What a poignant, heart-wrenching and beautiful story.

Ms. Dawn tells the story of Cheyenne and Colt in this...more
Dd

Hello Readers!!

Her life's perfect.

She's Cheyenne Marshall.She was the captain of the dance team.Voted most popular girl in her high school.She had friends.Tons of them.

But here in college she knows everyone through her perfect boyfriend Gregory.

But then...she finds Gregory cheating on her with someone else.

'What is it about me that makes people think they can take advantage and toss me aside?Why am I so easy to betray?'

No,not everything is as it seems.

So,her seemingly perfect life is a..... CHA...more
Angie's Dreamy Reads

MOVING ON
LIVING
HAPPINESS
E.M.O.T.I.O.N.A.L

This book covers everything that can happen to you that I would consider 'tragic' but it's also a message of a love that can heal and can help you learn to move on, to emerge stronger. To not carry all of life's up's and downs on your shoulders but to let someone you LOVE shoulder those burdens with you. Let them carry you through those tough days. Love can be healing. Love is amazin...more
"That's All" Ash
 photo Vo9EC.jpg
 photo download-20.png

This book literally starts out with a *bang* as college freshman, Cheyenne, catches her boyfriend in bed with another girl. Betrayal isn’t even in the same ballpark for what Cheyenne feels when she walks in on “the guy she was supposed to live happily ever after with” getting it on with someone else.

No no no no no no no no no NO!

This wasn’t supposed to happen to her: the girl voted “Most Popular” in high school; captain of her dance squad; the girl with a million friends. She had written the...more
Aestas Book Blog

"This is a game. Our game. One that I asked for, but with each day it feels more real. More real than anything every has.... What to do. I shouldn't fall for this guy."

When Cheyenne's heart is broken after finding her boyfriend in bed with another girl, she wants to find a way to make it clear to him that she doesn't need him in her life. Colt is struggling with pushing himself though school to keep a promise he made to his dying mother. When Cheyenne sees him in a coffee shop, she proposes...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
DNF at 48%

It kills me to mark this book DNF, as I know Nyrae Dawn is a much loved author with many of my friends (sorry Karla), but I don't think her writing style works for me. I had a devil of a time with the prose. I found it erratic and disjointed and in need of an editor to help with the pacing and transitions. For instance, flashback memories were confusing when they were interjected into current dialogue without the author indicating that such memories were taking place. It would have be...more
Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus
”I might not be able to do much for you, but I’ll hold your secrets.” – Colt

wow.
WoW.
WOW.
WOW.

Anyone who knows me, knows I loved Nyrae’s writing and am totally a fangirl

Photobucket

I have read pretty much everything she has written in YA. This NA novel was awesome!

This book starts out with a bang! (Yes bad Pun intended) as Cheyenne walks in on her boyfriend of 2 years having sex with someone else in his College Dorm.

Chey has abandonment issues because of her Mom. She has so many walls up around her tha...more
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

Charade was not on my radar, but when I saw a ton of my Goodreads friends reading and loving it, I had to find out what all the commotion was about. I’m so glad I decided to pick this up, because it was such a beautiful and emotional story! This book made me cry, but I loved it anyhow!

Nineteen year-old Cheyenne, has just found out her boyfriend of two years, Gregory, is cheating on her. She followed him to college and thought they’d be together forever. To save face, Cheyenne falsely l...more
♡Karlyn P♡

3.5* 'Where are the last names, folks?!' stars.

Summary: I liked it, but no "OMG!" gushing here folks.

Charade is a quick YA-M read with some emotional twists that will guarantee to make you cry at the end, but the romance and relationship was pretty standard fare. Fans of angst-filled college life stories with some steamy parts, some family life drama, and a budding romance between two opposite types will enjoy this one.

There was an odd generic simplicity with the story, which didn't bother me...more
Kristin (KC)
3.5 Stars

Such an incredibly emotional ride. Colt was just the right amount of bad boy and sweetness wrapped up in one sexy package of PERFECTION! So many tears, but I was ultimately left smiling!

•••For more reviews, visit my blog•••
descriptive text here

AJ
WOW! JUST…. WOW. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL BOOK!!!

I’m such a sucker for the fake relationship set up, so this was a winner for me before I even started. But it soon became clear to me that there is so much more to this book. The way they initially came together is a little weird, but is an indicator of how screwed up these two characters are at the beginning of the story, and a great starting point for some major character development.

Colt and Cheyenne are two very real, very honest (and yes, screwed up...more
Jennifer Kyle
”I thought this was a game,” I reminded him. “Not anymore and you know it. Everything else in my life is all fucked up. This is the only thing that’s real.”

description

There is so much more to this book! If you think it’s a quick story about faking a relationship and then the feelings become real you would be correct but yet again there is depth, heartbreak, love and loss as well.

You may think you have your typical girl, Cheyenne who walks in on her boyfriend of two years Gregory with another girl after fo...more
Vishous
I wasn't prepared for this. .. This book ripped my heart out. I cried all the time because I had no idea that this would be happening. I thought it would be funny and angsty... but this.... the sad note through the whole book... It hit me hard because I was in Chey's shoes when it comes to Colt's situation and I wasn't prepared for that at all... It hit home too close.
I felt every situation with his mom and her like it was mine. I love this book because it is how it is. Sometimes you just know a...more
Smitten's Book Blog

Fantastic. I really enjoyed this book. I've given it four stars because I felt that it was a bit predictable, but other than that, it was great.

The situation with Colt's Mum was so heart breaking, yet so beautiful. I loved the person Colt became when he was with her and I enjoyed reading his POV, even though it was devastatingly sad. This is a real tear jerker.

"He loves you," she adds. "And I love you. You're everything I could have hoped for, for him."

I loved how each of the characters drew st...more
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
Five Stars

That’s what we have – we’re both damaged with baggage and somehow it works.

**Wipes away tears** I’m crying like a baby, but I don’t care. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS! **Sniff** Wow! This was a pleasant surprise. After my last read, which was angst on steroids, I wanted something light and predictable. This my friends, was not light, though it was a little predictable. The H/h were both incredible characters and their story is chalk full of emotions, anger and love. It all equaled to one b...more
Brenna
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK! <3 This is the first book I've read by Nyrae Dawn and I can tell you right now that I'll be reading all her other books if they are as amazing as this one!

I loved Colt & Chey so much! They were both such real and raw characters that I felt a connection to them and felt what they were feeling the whole time! Colt was such an alpha bad boy jerk but his relationship with his mom and Chey was so endearing and damn near broke my heart at times. I wasn't expecting the...more
Jenny Levine
This is the first book I've read from Nyrae Dawn. DAMN was it beautiful. I love Colt, eventhough he swears a lot. And Cheyenne, she's so strong, so admirable. ALL THE FREAKIN' FEELS!!!

Oh, this is me while reading:

Btw, I will read everything this author writes/wrote/will write ;)

READ ON YOU GUYS!!!
Jolene Perry
BE EXCITED PEOPLE! This is awesome :D

"A laugh jumps out of my mouth, surprising me. I can’t even remember the last time I laughed and it puts me on edge. I suddenly want to do the same thing to her. Let her see how it feels to teeter on that cliff."
Jenn
Nov 10, 2012 Jenn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who LOVES this author
Recommended to Jenn by: buddy read: Jojo, Lindsay & Bethany
Nyrae has won me over again. I love this authors stories.

In Charade we meet two people in desperate need to have someone at their back to help them fight their fights in life.

Cheyenne lives a life in such a way no one will want to leave her. She dawns a perfect mask and behind this mask is a very panic ridden life. She has to be as "perfect" as she can be. She's off at college with the "love of her life" Gregory who turns out to not be so perfect after all. Now she's looking for a fake boyfrie...more
Isabella Francesca
I LOVE IT. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

85% of the book I'm like:

The last 15% was like:

Overall, two-thumbs up for this book! Whopping 5-stars! Recommended for all YA lovers out there. :)

Beautiful. Just beautiful. *sighs* :)

Favorite Quotes:

There’s something in a man’s voice… in the inflection or how he talks to you or about you that says a lot.

***************

“Did you ever think you caught me in the middle of something? You know how guys are in the morning, and I did get left high and dry last—”
“Co
Wendy Higgins
Ahhhhh!!!!!! In love with Colt. Cried many emotional tears. So good.

Nyrae's first NA (New Adult) story. *sigh* I love being a beta reader for this chick.
Sandee (The Whimsical Reader)
We may have been brought together because of a stupid ass game. Or because we were both screwed up, or needed a change, but we got somewhere important and that’s the only thing that counts.

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

This book just made me so happy. It dealt with so much more than just the relationship of the characters. It dealt with life, pain, moving on and most especially love.

THE GIST

Cheyenne was so not expecting to see her boyfriend of two years to be fooling around with some other gi...more
ChelSEA
Jeez, I don't even know where to begin on this one. Charade is the first book I've read since my all time favorite, Beautiful Disaster, that has actually made me feel a thousand different emotions while reading it.
I started this book thinking that it would be one of those light-hearted, feel-good romances. So boy was I surprised, when about a quarter of the way through, I realized that my initial assumption, was about the last thing from the truth. This book was amazing and when I say amazing, I...more
Amy (Foxy)
***3.5 stars***

A story of two broken college students who find what they need in each other.

Cheyenne's fear of abandonment leaves her emotionally stunted until she meets, Colt. As a child, Cheyenne, was abandoned by her mother and she has never let that fear go.

"Don't cry. Princess. You know what they say. You have to kiss a lot of frong before you meet your prince."

Colt is losing the one person who matters most in his life; his mom. Her dream was for her son is to: "Live your life."

SERIES:
Charade (Games, #1) by Nyrae Dawn ...more
Natasha is a Book Junkie

“I don’t know if I like him, but he was there. He’s been there. And even though I don’t like it, there’s something about him that pulls out my secrets. Like he’s a magnet, my past, my secrets and my pain, little shards of metal unable to resist his pull.”

Cheyenne is a nineteen-year-old college girl whose life is all about emotional walls and happy appearances. Her story starts with her finding her long-term boyfriend in bed with another woman. But while an ordinary girl scorned might have c...more
Amber Rose
Review may contain spoilers

5+++++++ Stars

"It's easier to hide in the dark...but easier to let go too."

This book starts off great. Cheyenne catches her boyfriend Gregory cheating on her with little miss Red. So Chey decides she is going to teach Gregory that she doesn't need him and that there are other men who are intersted in her.

"I might not be able to do much for you, but I'll hold your secrets."

Then you meet Colt. My god I love him from the very beginning. Hot guy with a lot of Tattoo...more
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Charade is a very beautiful story... It made me cry and it made me remember things that hurt but I love the way the author tells us their story. I really recommend Charade to everyone who loves NA.
Allen Grace

"Mornin'", his voice is rough from sleep.

This is how I imagine Colt and Cheyenne would look like in bed together.

Vulnerable,
slightly bruised
and
unguarded,
cocooned in an intense embrace,
sensing nothing against her.

A girl would love to wake up every day even at the crack of dawn to the sound of that raspy voice, his face is buried down between the hollow of her throat, his lips against her neck, whispering sweet words and other whatnot. Damn it to hell and back.

Colt and Cheyenne had emotion...more
I LOVED this book. Nyrae Dawn is becoming one of my favorite authors. Everything I have read by her has been fantastic. Colt and Cheyenne were wonderful. I thought it was great that their love story grew over time. Colt is a sexy bad boy but the love he felt for his mom and Cheyenne was endearing. I was really happy that he decided he was worth more and decided to head down a better path. I liked how Cheyenne and Colt leaned on each other and together realized that it was OK to ask for help and...more
Anu CN
this book was worth it!
worth EVERY SINGLE DAY i spent waitin for Nyrae to finish the book n then publish it
TOTALLY worth it!
so it starts of with this messed up chick n this 'fucked' up guy
for a second i thot this was goin to be jst another YA romance. but i was happy to be proved wrong!
it was so intense and so raw!
it was painfully beautiful. if u get wat i mean
towards the end i actly shed a tear or two!

Nyrae, THANK U sooo much!
iv read ur books n this is ur BEST one so far
after readin the teaser...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Charade, by Nyrae Dawn --- Starting January 9th 2014 17 16 Jan 15, 2014 05:20AM
should i read it? 32 293 Oct 25, 2013 05:53AM
Is this an interracial romance novel? 5 175 Aug 01, 2013 09:43PM
New Adult Book Club: Charade 7 122 Jun 27, 2013 01:04AM
Charade GIVEAWAY 1 40 Mar 20, 2013 07:43AM
Crazy for Young A...: Charade by Nyrae Dawn → Start Date: March 6th, 2013 33 26 Mar 07, 2013 11:17PM
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
  • My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1)
  • The Truths about Dating and Mating (Riordan College, #1)
  • Shallow (Going Under, #2)
  • Second Chance Boyfriend (One Week Girlfriend Quartet, #2)
  • Just Remember to Breathe (Thompson Sisters, #2)
  • Fallen Crest High (Fallen Crest High, #1)
  • Price of a Kiss (Forbidden Men, #1)
  • Every Which Way (Sloan Brothers, #1)
  • Lengths (Silver Strand, #1)
  • Fall Guy (Youngblood, #1)
  • Finding Never (Never Say Never, #2)
  • Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2)
  • Back to You
  • There is No Light in Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Falling for the Ghost of You
  • While It Lasts (Sea Breeze, #3)
  • Metamorphosis (Book Boyfriend, #1)
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

More about Nyrae Dawn...
Measuring Up What a Boy Wants (What a Boy Wants, #1) Façade (Games, #2) Dizzy What a Boy Needs (What a Boy Wants, #2)

“Everything’s not always black and white, Princess. Sometimes we have to do shit because there’s not another choice. Maybe you should think about that before you snub your nose at me.” 136 likes
“Don’t cry, Princess. You know what they say. You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince.” 116 likes