Start by marking “The Cost of Eternity (Eternity, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cost of Eternity (Eternity, #1)

The Cost of Eternity (Eternity #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
For over two hundred years, the cost of eternity for Lorcan MacKenna has been unending loneliness. Territorial creatures of darkness, vampires can't peacefully exist near each other. Human companions age and die, leaving him to face the long nights alone. After the death of his last lover, Lorcan vows to avoid the pain of loss. Until a down-and-out actor finds himself in d ...more
Published June 29th 2007 by Ellora's Cave (first published February 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Cost of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cost of Eternity

Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
105th out of 419 books — 600 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanFatal Shadows by Josh LanyonAmong the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Series With A Gay Romance Plot/Subplot
157th out of 354 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Aug 29, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: m/m erotica fans, vampire fans
Shelves: erotica, e-book, m-erotica
This is actually a little bit of an erotic vampire mystery. The sex between the two main characters happens relatively fast, however there is an interesting plot twist that has to do with long-kept secrets, a run for presidential office, crooked senators and vampire secrecy. The love story is sweet and protective, but hot hot hot! ;D

If you like m/m, vampires and a little mystery, read this!

xoxo
Brenda (b)
Apr 17, 2009 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Heather Shea
Shelves: m-m, 2-2009-read, 1-ebooks
I thought this was an interesting story. It's the first in her Eternity Series. The stage is set for this world that's home to vampires, and while some background is given about Lorcan not a lot is given about the vampires as a whole. I found the romance between Lorcan and Kevin endearing and wanted everything to work out so they could be together. It falls under the gay for you theme - partially I guess. Kevin admits to himself that he's gay but never acknowledged it, is that it's own theme? I ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jan 27, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, vampire, ebook
3.5 stars. Enjoyable vamp story. Lorcan is the vampire who saves Kevin from a gang rape. They fall for each other. Kevin's secrets and past catch up to him. Lorcan's secret brings Kevin and Lorcan closer. While this was a little predictable at times, the sex was hot and there was a bit of mystery to enjoy.
Susan65
Jan 28, 2013 Susan65 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-jen
I liked both Lorcan and Kevin, but felt something was missing. I guess my expectations were too high because I am a huge Tennessee Cops fan and was hoping for more of the same. I don't think I will be finishing the series.
Elisa Rolle
Lorcan is a centuries old vampire who live in New York City. He is not an eager vampire, he almost has a simple and normal life. Only he lives by night and during the sex he drinks blood from his partners. But he only chooses whore as sexual partner, cause he doesn't want the strings derivating from a love relationship. From the death of his last mate and love, a male, he has chosen to deny himself a male lover.

Then he meets Kevin. Kevin is a young man whoring himself to gain quick money. But h
Furio
A couple of mistakes have escaped proofreading but in general this novella, the first in a series, is professionally written and edited, standing out for this reason in the stormy sea of self-published M/M vampire romances.

It is allright if you do not set your expectations too high: very light entertainment seasoned with a lot of sex is what you will get. Nothing more. Especially not the special thrill of reading a book meant for entertainment and discovering that the author is really talented e
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Apr 02, 2009 Unapologetic_Bookaholic rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of m/m romance>vampires
Kevin, the abused son of Sen. Chandler, meets Lorcan in an alley while being assaulted by a group of men threatening to rape him. Lorcam, a 200 year old vampire, longs for more from his partner during sex than the just feeding. But when Lorcan's lover was murdered, he lost his will to ever love again.

I liked reading Shayla Kersten. Her characters were likable and I enjoyed the pacing of the story. Though short is did not feel rushed. Kevin and Lorcan had issues, that, with each other, was slowl
Don Bradshaw
Jul 13, 2010 Don Bradshaw rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-romance, vampire
Lorcan MacKenna is plain old tired of hiring his meals from hookers. Walking home hungry one night he hears the sounds of a struggle. He finds two guys beating a handsome guy and getting ready to rape him. Lorcan drains the two assailants and brings the young man home. Each man has his secrets and wants to keep them. The young, would be actor,Kevin St. James, awakens in Lorcan's bed afraid but aroused at the samed time. Feelings grow between the two men which tend to add extra stress to keeping ...more
Lee
May 26, 2011 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cost of Eternity was a good read. It has some problem areas, like, too often quick and easy solutions to problems were used instead of flushing out the scene and giving the reader something unexpected. At times the story felt stagnant, not enough movement/excitement to keep the story progressing.

While I did have some problems with this book, I did still like it. However, I think it will be the last book in the series that I read because from what I can gather the remaining books are not M/M.

Heather C
This was a pretty good story with and interesting premise, just had some issues with execution: adjective over-load, repetitive sex and rushed epilogue. Not sure if I will continue the series.
Tonileg
Nov 12, 2013 Tonileg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, romance, m-m, kindle
Contemporary Vampire finds a life partner while living in New York city.
Lorcan MacKenna tried making himself a life partner once and it ended terribly which now makes him only take blood from one off prostitutes. Which makes Lorcan a strange eclectic mix of bi-sexual and gay with so many memories from his long life. So he isn't looking for love in the back alley where he finds it, but love doesn't wait for any man. Kevin St. James had a terrible childhood and he seems more like a 20 year old, th
Kazza
Apr 17, 2012 Kazza rated it liked it
I liked this book it was probably a 3.5 star read but no half stars so 3 it is.

The Cost of Eternity had some problems, like over use of MC's names in a paragraph. 'Lorcan/Kevin laughed, Lorcan/Kevin smiled, Lorcan/Kevin moved, Lorcan/Kevin thought'..... Plus there was a lot of repetiton about the characters that did nothing to aid development, so they were left somewhat 2 dimensional. It was what I would deem as 'tell me not show me' style of writing, which never quite sits comfortably on me. T
Theresa
Aug 20, 2015 Theresa rated it it was ok
Started out great but had a disappointing ending that introduced a major conflict that the MCs would have to work out in order to stay together. I didn't think it was even a HFN. None of the following 3 books in the series continue with these characters. The story got a little slow in the middle and the sex scenes became repetitive which would have made me rate it 3 stars. With the lack of a definite ending and since I want a feel good HEA, I rated it 2 stars.
Nile Princess
As usual the couples are great, the sexual tension is delicious and the sex itself is OMG, lovely, but Lorcan didn't really seem to be in a position to put his vampire powers to good use and that resulted in what I felt was a lot of unnecessary stress at the hands of Kevin's human stepfather. Still a good read. Off to Book 2. 3.5
Cindy
Nov 09, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Erotic vampire [m/m:] novel - lonely older man [much, much older :-) ] rescues young man from what appears to be a simple [can that be simple?:] gang rape. Turns out it was intended as a premeditated murder - with the rape just a bit of frosting on the top. The plot mixes the love story between them and American politics at the highest level. Good read. If gay love stories, stories of rape, or incidents of child abuse in the past bother you, stay away!

Eternity Series [only the first is in paper
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the way Lorcan let his feelings for Kevin develop; he really didn't want to have another relationship because he didn't want to get hurt again, but Kevin was really special so he allowed it to happen. He never pushed Kevin faster than what Kevin was ready for and because their feelings for each other were mutual, his feedings from Kevin were more satisfying than what he was used to getting. (view spoiler) ...more
Lb
Jan 20, 2014 Lb rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Paperback
at first I was enjoying it but then it was just boring. there was no character development for any of the MC's. it really might have still worked with out the vampire aspect.
D.S. Williams
Oct 06, 2013 D.S. Williams rated it really liked it
This was a beautifully written m/m erotica, involving a vampire and a young male actor. The writing was excellent and the story kept beating along at a steady pace. There is some fairly full-on m/m sex scenes, but overall, I found the story was interesting and the most important part of the storyline - always an important consideration for me when reading erotica. Highly recommended.
Nancy Carbajal
Oct 13, 2013 Nancy Carbajal rated it really liked it
I loved it! I love Vampire love stories and this one wasn't harsh either. It did have some really sad elements of child abuse, but love conquered all. Sexy love scenes and erotic love play...vampire teeth (yeow). One thing, (isn't it always so with me?), the vampires name, Lorcan...it reminds me more of a werewolf than a vampire. Otherwise a really good and sexy read. Thumbs up!!
Cecilia Rodriguez
Nov 13, 2012 Cecilia Rodriguez rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but I was a bit disappointed that it had a HFN ending instead of a HEA. I would have loved to know if they stayed together after the year.
Emily Moore
May 15, 2012 Emily Moore rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, gay, vampires
Des
Des marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Amanda Deniger
Amanda Deniger marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Nina
Nina added it
Mar 11, 2016
Ashki
Ashki marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
chasity casiano
chasity casiano marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
kim wright
kim wright rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • The Prince's Angel (Legends of the Romanorum, #1)
  • Blood Claim
  • An Inner Darkness (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #5)
  • Bite (Bite, #1)
  • Claimed by Darkness
  • And the Two Shall Become One (Legends of the Romanorum, #2)
  • An Unnatural Worth
  • Conflict in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #3)
  • Unveiled (Master Chronicles, #2)
  • Bound by Blood (Drone Vampire Chronicles, #7)
  • Tainted (Channeling Morpheus, #4)
  • Sorcerer's Lover (Sorcerer's Lover #1)
  • A Different Breed
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Vigil (The Hours Trilogy #2)
By day, multi-published Shayla Kersten is a mild-mannered accountant. By night, she’s a writer of sexy romances. Torn between genres, Shayla writes erotic stories about hot heroes and their sexy women, as well as hot men and their passionate heroes.

A native of Arkansas, Shayla spent four years in the Army as a missile specialist, stationed in Germany and Oklahoma. After her enlistment was up, she
More about Shayla Kersten...

Eternity (4 books)
  • The Rememdiu (Eternity, #2)
  • Longing for Eternity (Eternity,#3)
  • Fighting for Eternity (Eternity,#4)