The Cost of Eternity (Eternity, #1)

The Cost of Eternity (Eternity #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For over two hundred years, the cost of eternity for Lorcan MacKenna has been unending loneliness. Territorial creatures of darkness, vampires can't peacefully exist near each other. Human companions age and die, leaving him to face the long nights alone. After the death of his last lover, Lorcan vows to avoid the pain of loss. Until a down-and-out actor finds himself in d...more
Published June 29th 2007 by Ellora's Cave (first published February 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Cost of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cost of Eternity

Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
81st out of 358 books — 496 voters
Fatal Shadows by Josh LanyonCut & Run by Abigail RouxAmong the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Series With A Gay Romance Plot/Subplot
124th out of 198 books — 181 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Aug 29, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m/m erotica fans, vampire fans
Shelves: erotica, m-erotica, e-book
This is actually a little bit of an erotic vampire mystery. The sex between the two main characters happens relatively fast, however there is an interesting plot twist that has to do with long-kept secrets, a run for presidential office, crooked senators and vampire secrecy. The love story is sweet and protective, but hot hot hot! ;D

If you like m/m, vampires and a little mystery, read this!

xoxo
Brenda (b)
Apr 17, 2009 Brenda (b) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Heather Shea
Shelves: m-m, 2-2009-read, 1-ebooks
I thought this was an interesting story. It's the first in her Eternity Series. The stage is set for this world that's home to vampires, and while some background is given about Lorcan not a lot is given about the vampires as a whole. I found the romance between Lorcan and Kevin endearing and wanted everything to work out so they could be together. It falls under the gay for you theme - partially I guess. Kevin admits to himself that he's gay but never acknowledged it, is that it's own theme? I...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
3.5 stars. Enjoyable vamp story. Lorcan is the vampire who saves Kevin from a gang rape. They fall for each other. Kevin's secrets and past catch up to him. Lorcan's secret brings Kevin and Lorcan closer. While this was a little predictable at times, the sex was hot and there was a bit of mystery to enjoy.
Susan65-Coug
I liked both Lorcan and Kevin, but felt something was missing. I guess my expectations were too high because I am a huge Tennessee Cops fan and was hoping for more of the same. I don't think I will be finishing the series.
Elisa Rolle
Lorcan is a centuries old vampire who live in New York City. He is not an eager vampire, he almost has a simple and normal life. Only he lives by night and during the sex he drinks blood from his partners. But he only chooses whore as sexual partner, cause he doesn't want the strings derivating from a love relationship. From the death of his last mate and love, a male, he has chosen to deny himself a male lover.

Then he meets Kevin. Kevin is a young man whoring himself to gain quick money. But h...more
Furio
A couple of mistakes have escaped proofreading but in general this novella, the first in a series, is professionally written and edited, standing out for this reason in the stormy sea of self-published M/M vampire romances.

It is allright if you do not set your expectations too high: very light entertainment seasoned with a lot of sex is what you will get. Nothing more. Especially not the special thrill of reading a book meant for entertainment and discovering that the author is really talented e...more
MK (Food actvist)
Apr 02, 2009 MK (Food actvist) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of m/m romance>vampires
Kevin, the abused son of Sen. Chandler, meets Lorcan in an alley while being assaulted by a group of men threatening to rape him. Lorcam, a 200 year old vampire, longs for more from his partner during sex than the just feeding. But when Lorcan's lover was murdered, he lost his will to ever love again.

I liked reading Shayla Kersten. Her characters were likable and I enjoyed the pacing of the story. Though short is did not feel rushed. Kevin and Lorcan had issues, that, with each other, was slowl...more
Don Bradshaw
Lorcan MacKenna is plain old tired of hiring his meals from hookers. Walking home hungry one night he hears the sounds of a struggle. He finds two guys beating a handsome guy and getting ready to rape him. Lorcan drains the two assailants and brings the young man home. Each man has his secrets and wants to keep them. The young, would be actor,Kevin St. James, awakens in Lorcan's bed afraid but aroused at the samed time. Feelings grow between the two men which tend to add extra stress to keeping...more
Heather C
This was a pretty good story with and interesting premise, just had some issues with execution: adjective over-load, repetitive sex and rushed epilogue. Not sure if I will continue the series.
Tonileg
Contemporary Vampire finds a life partner while living in New York city.
Lorcan MacKenna tried making himself a life partner once and it ended terribly which now makes him only take blood from one off prostitutes. Which makes Lorcan a strange eclectic mix of bi-sexual and gay with so many memories from his long life. So he isn't looking for love in the back alley where he finds it, but love doesn't wait for any man. Kevin St. James had a terrible childhood and he seems more like a 20 year old, th...more
Kazza
I liked this book it was probably a 3.5 star read but no half stars so 3 it is.

The Cost of Eternity had some problems, like over use of MC's names in a paragraph. 'Lorcan/Kevin laughed, Lorcan/Kevin smiled, Lorcan/Kevin moved, Lorcan/Kevin thought'..... Plus there was a lot of repetiton about the characters that did nothing to aid development, so they were left somewhat 2 dimensional. It was what I would deem as 'tell me not show me' style of writing, which never quite sits comfortably on me. T...more
Cindy
Erotic vampire [m/m:] novel - lonely older man [much, much older :-) ] rescues young man from what appears to be a simple [can that be simple?:] gang rape. Turns out it was intended as a premeditated murder - with the rape just a bit of frosting on the top. The plot mixes the love story between them and American politics at the highest level. Good read. If gay love stories, stories of rape, or incidents of child abuse in the past bother you, stay away!

Eternity Series [only the first is in paper...more
Lee
The Cost of Eternity was a good read. It has some problem areas, like, too often quick and easy solutions to problems were used instead of flushing out the scene and giving the reader something unexpected. At times the story felt stagnant, not enough movement/excitement to keep the story progressing.

While I did have some problems with this book, I did still like it. However, I think it will be the last book in the series that I read because from what I can gather the remaining books are not M/M.

Lb
Jan 20, 2014 Lb rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Paperback
at first I was enjoying it but then it was just boring. there was no character development for any of the MC's. it really might have still worked with out the vampire aspect.
D.S. Williams
This was a beautifully written m/m erotica, involving a vampire and a young male actor. The writing was excellent and the story kept beating along at a steady pace. There is some fairly full-on m/m sex scenes, but overall, I found the story was interesting and the most important part of the storyline - always an important consideration for me when reading erotica. Highly recommended.
Nancy Carbajal
I loved it! I love Vampire love stories and this one wasn't harsh either. It did have some really sad elements of child abuse, but love conquered all. Sexy love scenes and erotic love play...vampire teeth (yeow). One thing, (isn't it always so with me?), the vampires name, Lorcan...it reminds me more of a werewolf than a vampire. Otherwise a really good and sexy read. Thumbs up!!
Cecilia Rodriguez
I enjoyed this book but I was a bit disappointed that it had a HFN ending instead of a HEA. I would have loved to know if they stayed together after the year.
Choko
Choko marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Clint
Clint marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Colleen Johr
Colleen Johr marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Pamela Kacmarynski
Pamela Kacmarynski marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Amanda Brown
Amanda Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Deryncarm1970
Deryncarm1970 marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • The Prince's Angel (Legends of the Romanorum, #1)
  • Blood Claim
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • Claimed by Darkness
  • An Inner Darkness (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #5)
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Secrets and Lies (Daywalkers, #1)
  • Every Frat Boy Wants It
  • A Different Breed
  • An Unnatural Worth
  • Nick of Time (Preters, #2)
  • Blood and Alchemy (Drone Vampire Chronicles, #11)
  • Vigil (The Hours Trilogy #2)
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • Master Of Obsidian (Master Chronicles, #1)
  • Covenant in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #2)
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
By day, multi-published Shayla Kersten is a mild-mannered accountant. By night, she’s a writer of sexy romances. Torn between genres, Shayla writes erotic stories about hot heroes and their sexy women, as well as hot men and their passionate heroes.

A native of Arkansas, Shayla spent four years in the Army as a missile specialist, stationed in Germany and Oklahoma. After her enlistment was up, she...more
More about Shayla Kersten...
Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1) A Helping Hand (Tennessee Cops, #2) Forever (From Thirty Days to Forever, #2) Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1) Hidden Hands (Tennessee Cops, #3)