Start by marking “Pieces of the Past: The Holocaust Diary of Rose Rabinowitz” as Want to Read:
Pieces of the Past: The Holocaust Diary of Rose Rabinowitz

Pieces of the Past: The Holocaust Diary of Rose Rabinowitz (Dear Canada)

A young Jewish girl recounts her experiences during a horrifying time in recent history.

As Rose begins her diary, she is in her third home since coming to Winnipeg. Traumatized by her experiences in the Holocaust, she struggles to connect with others, and above all, to trust again.

When her new guardian, Saul, tries to get Rose to deal with what happened to her during the w
Published February 1st 2013 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about Pieces of the Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces of the Past

With Nothing But Our Courage by Karleen BradfordOrphan at My Door by Jean LittleNo Safe Harbour by Julie LawsonFootsteps in the Snow by Carol MatasIf I Die Before I Wake by Jean Little
Dear Canada Series
31st out of 36 books — 49 voters
One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping by Barry DenenbergEarly Sunday Morning by Barry DenenbergMy Secret War by Mary Pope OsborneThe Fences Between Us by Kirby LarsonTurned Away by Carol Matas
Scholastic Diaries: WWII
6th out of 25 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol
Apr 04, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
The Dear Canada series is a wonderful addition to Canadian history accessible to young people. I have given many in the series to my grandaughter. Pieces of the Past is about a young Jewish girl who has lost all her family in the Holocaust and has been brought to Canada as an orphan. Her diary alternates her story of trying to belong in her new home and her remembrances of her family and what happened to them. It is entirely appropriate for a young teenage audience and is heart-breakingly real ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 14, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
I knew this would be good when I noted that Carol Matas was the author. One always has to look to the title page to find the author on these books, so it's like a hidden treasure when you see a favourite author there. This is an outstanding book in the series and really adds to the collection and children's Holocaust stories in general by its topic and the way it's presented. From a Canadian pov the book concerns a fictional Polish Jewish orphan who has emigrated to Manitoba, Canada and her ...more
Oct 20, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
"Pieces of the Past" written by Carol Matas is a war diary of a young girl named Rose struggling through all her horrific memories of the Holocaust. When Rose begins her diary she is in her third home since coming to Winnipeg. She is so traumatized by her recent experiences it is extremely difficult for her to trust anyone let alone connect. However she manages to face her fears and write everything down in her journal and also manages to make some friends. I thought this book had an incredible ...more
Twyla
Oct 24, 2015 Twyla rated it it was amazing
Paige Mcleod
Dec 01, 2016 Paige Mcleod rated it really liked it
I enjoy the style of historical books. This book is sad but well written. The book goes back and forth between her memories of the Holocaust and her new home in Canada. I love the detail of the book and would read more if there was more to the book. Over all its a need to read book.
KS
Nov 14, 2016 KS rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je pense que c'est une des meilleurs de cette série.
Nicole
Feb 10, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I was impressed that Dear Canada would cover the topic of the Holocaust from this point of view, for the sheer fact that it's a children's series. It was touched on before (on a side note, I liked that they crossed this over with Turned Away, no matter how it's barely a mention), but not like this. They didn't spare the details, and portrayed the horror that was the Holocaust. Matas didn't shy away from describing the death, racism, disease and even made an allusion to rape. I would never have ...more
Ariana
Oct 27, 2014 Ariana rated it really liked it
Shanelle
Mar 13, 2013 Shanelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes reading about Canada's history
Pieces of the Past is another book from the Dear Canada series, which is written about a young girl named Rozia (Rose) Rabinowitz, who has survived the Holocaust. She was sent to Canada after the Holocaust, where a Mr. Boxer has given her a diary in which to write her memories in. With this, she remembers her family and friends who were lost during this time and those who survived with her.
This book also features a mention and a connection to the book Turned Away (Dear Canada series). Both book
Joanna
Apr 22, 2014 Joanna rated it did not like it
Shelves: may-2014
So basically Rose got adopted. She is working with a doctor to help her get over the past. The story is told in the present for the first few pages, then the story is told in the past about how her family died and all that.

I picked this book up because my mom was at the library with me, and as usual she asked me to picked a non-fictional book or a french book. So I picked this book because it was non-fiction and it is history.

I finished this book because my mom made me.

I suggest this book to La
Shanelle
Aug 16, 2016 Shanelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Canada's history.
"Pieces of the Past" is a new favourite of mine from the Dear Canada series, as I have learned so much more about the Holocaust from it.
The author, Carol Matas, was able to maintain the Diary writing format, while adding its on unique twist compared to those in the rest of the series. This was cleverly done by including 'memories' from the young Rose Rabinowitz.
Colette Dufault
Apr 17, 2014 Colette Dufault rated it liked it
Recommended for readers who enjoy WWII fiction, the diary format is familiar and well done. Rose is taken in by a foster family after the war, yet can't get over her survivor's guilt while she grieves for her family. Parallel storylines of bullying illustrates how easily society can slide in the horrors of war.
Elizabeth Coates
I really like the Dear Canada series. As an individual book, this one doesn't stand out as exceptional, but it's consistent with the quality of the series. If I was a 12 year old I would have devoured this book. A great way to get kids interested in Canadian history. I also thought that it introduced a painful and violent topic - the Holocaust - in an age-appropriate manner for ages 10-12.
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I read this YA book in French, prepping myself for French courses and tests and I really enjoyed it. As I understand, it is part of a series of journals for young adults. It is a thorough work, combining journal entries from 1943/44 with the present day 1948 of a young Jewish girl who loses her entire family during WWII and is relocated to Canada.
Thano
Nov 03, 2014 Thano rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy this book. It is about a Jewish girl named Rose who writes about her time in the war. Her brother leaves to fight and her dad is killed. She is trying not to get shipped away. Rose and her mother try to run away from the country to Canada. Many challenges and obstacles get in the way. I thought it was confusing and hard to read. I would not recommend this book.
Jessica
Dec 21, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Great retelling of a Jewish Holocaust survivor tale. Good transition between the memory and present day. I did not realize so many Jewish children came to Winnipeg after the war so this made the survivors feel closer to home.
Susan
Sep 25, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: willows-2014
I didn't think I needed another WWII story but this story changed my mind. Each place in Europe and each person who suffered has a unique story and World War II history provides a compelling backdrop. A well-told piece of historical fiction.
Clara Garcia
I Love History! Especially if its about the holocaust.Its Sad but it somehow came to a good ending! Although (SPOILER) .............Her mother died horribly
(END OF SPOILER)

The story is inspirational and fun to read! READING MARATHON!!!
Lorraine Bellevue
Jan 28, 2014 Lorraine Bellevue rated it really liked it
I loved that this is a story about the Holocaust that isn't set in a concentration camp - it was really interesting to see a different aspect of the experience.
Claire
Aug 04, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
It was a really good book, although i wish her life was a little more positive in the present time.
Rebecca
Jun 04, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Short and sweet, this book pulls at the heart strings but is an excellent starter book for children about the horrors of the holocaust.
Meghan
Jan 31, 2016 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dear-canada
Not the kind of book you want to read before going to bed but it far exceeded my expectations. I am always wary of reading books on this topic.
Renaissance
Nov 16, 2014 Renaissance rated it liked it
Very sad what happened to her family and that people in Canada weren't very accepting. I didn't know much about the war orphans and what happened until I read this book.
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Kennedy
Kennedy rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Brett Goguen
Brett Goguen rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Cynthia Panneton
Cynthia Panneton rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Emma Neff
Emma Neff rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Sea of Sorrows: The Typhus Epidemic Diary of Johanna Leary
  • Torn Apart: The Internment Diary of Mary Kobayashi (Dear Canada)
  • To Stand On My Own: The Polio Epidemic Diary of Noreen Robertson, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1937 (Dear Canada)
  • Exiles from the War: The War Guest Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss, Guelph, Ontario, 1940 (Dear Canada)
  • Winter of Peril: The Newfoundland Diary of Sophie Loveridge (Dear Canada)
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn (Dear Canada))
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada)
  • Days of Toil and Tears: The Child Labour Diary of Flora Rutherford (Dear Canada)
  • Blood Upon Our Land :The North West Resistance Diary Of Josephine Bouvier (Dear Canada)
  • Not a Nickel to Spare: The Great Depression Diary of Sally Cohen (Dear Canada)
  • A Desperate Road to Freedom: The Underground Railroad Diary of Julia May Jackson, Virginia to Canada West, 1863-1864 (Dear Canada)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt (Dear Canada)

Dear Canada (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope (Dear Canada)
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall (Dear Canada)
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott (Dear Canada)
  • A Ribbon of Shining Steel: The Railway Diary of Kate Cameron (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt (Dear Canada)
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)