The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)

The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy 0.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,133 ratings  ·  110 reviews
“Take care of your spirit, Kami,” said Megumi. “And don’t burn the place down.”

Kami grabbed both the suitcases and headed for the cabin she was sharing with Liz and Angela. Liz walked with her, and on their way Kami stopped.

“My Sobo was exaggerating,” she said earnestly. “There have been very few fires.”
ebook, free pdf, 13 pages
Published September 5th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Before I Met You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer Before I Met You

Keertana
Yet another must-read for Unspoken fans. Sarah Rees Brennan manages to capture human emotions in a manner that is simply unparalleled and I love reading each and every one of her takes on her unique characters. Kami Glass is, without a doubt, one of the most lovable, strong, and unique protagonists to grace Young Adult Fiction and while we see Unspoken through her quirky eyes, seeing her from the point of view of an unbiased outsider brings something new and different to her personality, friends...more
Heidi
If we are always on the outside looking in at Jared, it seems that Kami will be the star of her own story whether she’s the one telling it or not. In The Summer Before I Met You, we see Kami and Angela through the eyes of Liz, a fresh out of college girl who agreed to run the summer cricket camp outside of Sorry-in-the-Vale with the two high school girls as her help.

Kami is so full of spunk, energetic, and fun, it’s easy to see how she ends up ever leading her friends around by the nose and push...more
Katy
2.5 stars - Please note that the low rating MAY be contributed to the fact that I read "Unspoken" six months ago as an ARC.

Having said that, I didn't really get this novella. Yeah, it's a nice little story about the summer before it all began, but keep in mind that Kami has known "Jared" all of her life. He's a constant in her life as they "talk" in each other's heads every day. Given, she doesn't realize that he's more than just a voice inside her head, but, he's always "there." Well, Jared isn...more
Wendy Darling
Sep 07, 2012 Wendy Darling marked it as to-read
Read the freebie short companion story to UNSPOKEN here:

Rose
"The Summer Before I Met You" is a supplemental prequel story that introduces the reader to several characters in Sarah Rees Brennan's book "Unspoken" and ultimately in the "Lynburn Legacy" series. Primarily, this story focuses on the main character, Kami Glass, showcasing some of her trademark humor and infectious confidence during a summer excursion from the eyes of Liz, an outside character not featured in the series, but nonetheless observant of Kami and her respective family.

It's easy to t...more
Usually when a book series starts popping out mini prequels and short stories I hardly pay attention to them because most of the time they're just sort of there as a novelty for the super fans, not really anything I find necessary to read. But with Unspoken there were so many things I was left dreadfully curious about (in a good way) so I was really excited to see this was a thing. And oh what a thing it was. I kept waiting for there to be something dumb so I'd have good reason to not give it 5...more
Kaitlyn Francis
This was a short story told through the perspective of Liz and what she saw while working at a camp that both Kami and Angela work at the summer before everything happened in Unspoken. Sarah gave us an intro to what happened and what changed Kami's life forever. Also allowed us to see Kami through another person, and how she basically seemed to put it together after a tragedy happened that summer. It also allowed us to see what others thought of seeing Kami speak to someone who wasn't there. I l...more
K.
"The second girl had climbed out with the
first but then proceeded to perform an elaborate
goodbye dance with every member of her family.

When the two girls stood together, they really
did look like something from a movie. The second
girl looked like the goofy sidekick, short and a
little plump, more colorful and less dignified than
her friend. She was wearing a hat that looked like
a daisy, yellow on top with a plastic white-petaled
brim, and a yellow skirt covered in daisies."

My love for Kami is absolu...more
Suzanne
Have I mentioned how much I love Kami? :)
Jessica
Hilarious :)
Crystal Starr Light
This is the story of the cricket camp where Angela and Kami helped out the summer before the Lynburns returned, hinted at in Unspoken. It's told from the point of view of Liz, a recent college grad who is the head of the cricket camp. It's not a bad little story; I loved seeing Angela and Kami from an outsider's view and getting the background to these characters that was hinted at in the full novel. Unfortunately, I thought Liz's character suffered; she was not nearly as developed as Mariel in...more
Aditi
Reviews & all that jazz : That READioactive Book Blog
description

I am a spectacularly huge fan of Sarah Rees Brennan. I loved Unspoken and it will always remain in my all-time favs. When I began thrusting it into people's hands whether they wanted it or not; they gave in (not willingly) if there was a sample they could taste of the author's writing. Imagine my horror at that. These people did not know there were 2 short stories totally at their disposal. And hence I decided to devote one post to both th...more
Susana
In the beginning of Unspoken, there's a conversation between Kami and Angela about a "exposé about the seamy underbelly of cricket camp(..)

Remember that?
This short story takes place during that Summer.

Like what happened with Jared's story, this one, also isn't told by the leading characters pov, (in this case it would be Kami pov), but by the coach of the cricket camp, who will have, Kami and Angela working as her assistants.

Through Liz eyes, we see how Kami is seen by strangers. The optimist si...more
Jaden
Meet Kami, one of the most outrageous teenage girls in all history. She barely thinks before acting, cracks hilarious jokes, is enthusiastic and not stuck up, and she has an imaginary friend with whom she can hold the longest conversations throughout the day. And if you think for a minute that I had issues with her character, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Again a short story from someone else's point of view who is not actively participating in the main series. It gives the feeling of being neut...more
Lottie Eve
Although this was an enjoyable and quick read this did not really tell us more about Kami. This prequel of Unspoken is about Kami and Angela’s summer at Cricket Camp. I loved the writing as it had everything I expected from Brennan: humour, wit, and great prose. The story is narrated by Liz a 23-year-old woman who decided to work at Cricket Camp for the summer to put off workign at the family business. I did not love Liz as much as Mariel but she was a good narrator for the most part. Sometimes...more
Dani
This one time at cricket camp...

So this is the skinny about what happened during Kami & Angela's stint at cricket camp. More fun character development, more insight into Kami's family dynamic and also her friendship with Angela... and an interesting perspective on Rusty. Suspicions confirmed? Perhaps...

Side note. loving the format of these short stories being from a new character's/third party's perspective. Originally, I wondered how effective that would be. And apparently the answer is, ve...more
Miss Clark
Short story set in the Lynburn Legacy series universe and a short of prequel to Unspoken. Also, I love how the cover/art matches the style of the book!

Again, fantastic introduction to Kami Glass, Angela Montgomery, and the lovely children, all from the perspective of an outsider. Hilarious, too. A must-read if you are going to read or have read UNSPOKEN.
AJ
This is a very quick (and free!) story detailing the events of the mysterious cricket camp talked about in the first book. It doesn’t really add much to the overall story but we see, through the eyes of Liz, who is running the camp - Kami and Angela together, Kami meeting Claud, and Kami reacting to the death of her grandmother (with a little help from Jared). There are also a couple of little moments that make me wonder about Rusty’s true feelings. Hmmmmm…
Liz
Someone always believes in her :(

Spoiler tag for precious quoting: (view spoiler)
Allison
Loved this! I already read Unspoken on Netgalley, but this reminds me that I need to go buy the hard copy now that it is coming out. Kami and Angela are hilarious... it was a perfect tiny prequel.
Charlotte
Loved this intro into Sarahs new series, Unspoken cannot be released soon enough! Kami looks like she'll be an absolutely brilliant heroine, and I'm looking forward to an entire book from her perspective.
Su
I finished reading Unspoken and Untold in April and I immediately loved the books. Which is why it was very devastating to find out later that Unmade wouldn't be published until September. Having finished reading the novella, The Summer Before I Met You, makes me want that book even more.
I wouldn't be able to stand Kami in real life because her restless nature and overflowing energy would exhaust me just by being around her, but I like her in the book. I think she's quirky and endearing like a...more
Dina
I loved how this short story helpped us understand the dynamics of her family, her friends and how she is a lot of ways the way she is the person she is, so radiant and strong. Hopefully the author writes a short story from her grandmothers point of view, because she seemed like a really cool women.
FreakChiq
“Yeah, relationships aren’t all they’re cracked up to be,” Kami said. “All ‘Hey, watch it, busy hands, naughty places.’” She paused for a pensive moment. “That Claud was such a prude.”

Hahaha. Oh God, I love Kami already!
Can't wait till my pre-ordered copy of Unspoken finally arrives.
Word Traffic
This story is incredibly fun. I loved it all, but I especially liked lines like this:

"Sometimes Kami said disquieting things, but she was undeniably effcient and enthusiastic. Liz began to relax. That turned out to be a mistake."
Maria
Having read Unspoken, I enjoyed reading this "prequel" short story for the simple reason that the reader gets to see Kami through the eyes of a different narrator. And it made me realize that I like Kami even more than I thought I did.
Chelesbells
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Kami's summer. Just like in Unspoken, she made me laugh, and I even shed a tear at one point in this short story. I truly love this girl and her motley friends and family!
Navdha
A glimpse of Kami's life before reading the actual book has me somewhat prepared for her erratic behavior. I can't wait to get my hands on Unspoken. Come out already!
Kelly
So this intrigued me and made me very interested in picking up the book when it releases. Kami and Angela seem like interesting characters who I will enjoy reading more about.
Giovanna
3.5

I'm in love with Rusty. Come on, no one can blame me for that he is adorable. Completely, totally, undeniably, absolutely adorable.
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas (The Demon Trappers, #0.4)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.
More about Sarah Rees Brennan...
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon, #1) Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2) The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2) The Demon's Surrender (The Demon's Lexicon, #3)