Start by marking “The Listeners” as Want to Read:
The Listeners

The Listeners

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Before the plague, and the quarantine, fourteen-year-old Daniel Raymond had only heard of the Listeners. They were a gang, or at least that's what his best friend Katie's police officer father had said. They were criminals, thieves, monsters--deadly men clearly identifiable by the removal of their right ears.

That's what Daniel had heard. But he didn't know.

He didn't know m
Published December 17th 2012 by Bancroft Press (first published November 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Listeners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Listeners

Read This Review & More Like It At Ageless Pages Reviews

I'm sitting here with my hand over my mouth trying to process one of the most incredibly poetic, haunting novels I have read. And it's about a zombie plague. Try and picture that for a moment. Harrison Demchick has written a beautiful and disgusting, wonderful and horrifying book with a strong voice and lyrical quality and it's about the Apocalypse.

14-year-old Daniel is living in an unnamed borough, (it's Manhattan,) that has recently
The Listeners by Harrison Demchick is a story of society breaking down. When the plague hits and his neighborhood is quarantined life quickly changes for a 14 year old boy named Daniel. Residents are encouraged to stay in their homes and that the plague should be contained shortly. His mother leaves the house to get some more toilet paper she never returns, leaving Daniel to fend for himself. After a run in with one of the infected and suffering from some police abusing their power Daniel meets ...more
This may be the best horror novel I have read.

The author is an artist with words. He creates a hauntingly beautiful life from a point of view of a 14 year old boy living in a world dramatically changing. Pay attention to the details as you will be rewarded throughout the book which adds a sense of urgency to what is taking place.

I will be reading this book again and hope the author writes more novels.
Benjamin Ethridge
Written with an Armageddon pen, envisioned with desolate wasteland eyes, and heard by a single, knowing ear, Harrison Demchick's THE LISTENERS provides a peep hole to a ravaged world of survivors living day to day with the burden of being human. With stylistic and emotional flourishes largely missing from the post-apocalyptic sub-genre, this is a novel that really shouldn't be missed!
Mrs. Kenyon
Daniel Raymond is alone. His mother left their apartment for toilet paper and never returned. If that is not bad enough, the borough has been quarantined because of a plague with zombie like symptoms. The only information he receives is from the television which reported the doctors and medical personnel being removed by helicopter after the government decided it was too dangerous to assist the local residents.

Danny doesn’t know who to trust. The police offer food and protection in exchange for
Lorina Stephens
Harrison Demchick's The Listeners is a novel which, in this reviewer's opinion, could have been great, breaking all borders of genre. Alas, it falls short, due I believe to lack of good developmental editing. Certainly Demchick demonstrates he is a literary adept, with several passages that are breath-taking in their impact, and his concept is a new perspective on the much-overdone zombie apocalypse trope, enough so it kept this somewhat jaded reviewer reading. That says a great deal.

The story r
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Took me awhile but I finally finished this book. I can't say I loved it but least I got through it. Review to come.....sometime.....well possibly....

Sometimes no matter how hard you try to like something it might just never click with you. Unfortunately this was my problem with The Listeners. I tried longer than I usually do to "get" this book. I wanted to see what people were raving about, I wanted to be part of this mind blowing experience and yet try as hard as I might I never was pri
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Sammy

*Beware of possible Spoilers*

I’m Not sure how to rate this book, the writing is wonderful, the story had so much potential and at times was very interesting, but I had a very difficult time following the story line. So, because of the wonderful way the writer had of expressing things I’m going to give the story 3 stars.

Here are a couple of quotes from the book, the author starts with these amazing poetic type expressions such as,

“His breath catches halfway thr
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was such a beautifully, almost poetically, written zombie apocalypse novel. Its definitely not a typical zombie story. The infected are not dead. They are sick people, who's mental state slowly degenerates. They are covered in boils and highly contagious. They are a frightening addition to the horror genre.

Daniel Raymond is 14 year old, left alone in his apartment in the middle of the quarantined borough. He thinks of his mother, his friend Katie and t
Before I write anything else, I just have to say that Harrison Demchick is perhaps the greatest name of all time. Kudos to the author on that front.

Anyways, on with the review. The Listeners is Demchick’s debut, and it follows a young teenage boy named Daniel as an epidemic ‘plague’ hits America. No one knows what started this plague, what spreads it or what cures it, all they know is that it is a highly contagious disease of which the symptoms are huge, exploding boils and a general crazy menta
Amy Lutchen
Damn. What would you do?

The Listeners is one of those books that when you finish, you stare at the wall or the stain in the carpet and talk to yourself. Yeah, it's that kind of book-one that makes you really dig deep to evaluate yourself as a human being and decide what kinds of choices you might make when facing grim events. The amount of emotional and graphically oozing detail in this book is one that deserves high praises and I think that Harrison Demchick, the author, is here to stay.
I was thrilled when I won this book in a giveaway, because I have become a fan of Dystopian fiction this past year. I went back and forth from being very interested in this book to being frustrated, because the story line “jumps around.” The premise is fascinating and the writing is very good, so I will give this book 3 stars.
Couldn't get through this one... The writing didn't grab my attention and found the jumping around a bit pointless. Definitely not one I will recommend.
Jane Doe
Loved, loved, loved the writing style of this author. The story had so much potential but didn't deliver, was hard to follow and had many many loose ends. I will read another book by him because even though this story for me missed the mark his writing is awesome.

An amazing effort from the amazing Harrison Demchick - here is the link to my video review:
I really wanted to like this book, yet it lacked. It seem to jump around and I found it difficult to focus . It wasn't horrible, but also not great. It certainly wasn't about zombies.
I didn't finish this, as it just freaked me out a bit too much - horrors are always worse in my head, but I suppose that is what Harrison Demchick was going for.
Sean Little
Wasn't a bad book but the writing style was a pretty stream of conscious which I'm not a big fan of so it was more personal than substance for me.
Eh, slow read, depressing, realistic.
Andromeda marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Sandy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Tyla Bosshardt
Tyla Bosshardt marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
A.H. Richards
A.H. Richards marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • The Understory
  • Grants Pass
  • Shadows
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • The Quiet
  • The Devil You Know (Nick Englebrecht, #1)
  • Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • After The Virus
  • Rücken an Rücken
  • Aldo's Fantastical Movie Palace
  • Brushfire Plague
  • Secrets of a Gentleman Escort
  • The Dying of the Light: End (The Dying of the Light, #1)
Raised in Baltimore, Maryland on a steady diet of magical realism, literary fiction, science-fiction, and Spider-Man comics, Harrison Demchick spent most of his formative years inside his own head, working out strange thoughts and ideas that would eventually make their way into stories, screenplays, and songs.

He went to Oberlin College to attain one of modern day’s most notoriously useless degrees
More about Harrison Demchick...