Don't Laugh at Me (Reading Rainbow books)

Don't Laugh at Me (Reading Rainbow books)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Don't Laugh at Me
Hardcover
Published by Tricycle Press

Vittoria
I like the book because it was about kids who got bullied and they tried to stand up to themselves and told us how they felt.
Denise
Lovely artwork and a good lesson on ethical behavior. Comes with music and recording.

This is the third book in the Project Cornerstone series. I like the concept and I think it provides a great opening for a discussion with children on being different or how to treat those who appear different.

My only criticism is the religious element. In the classroom that I am reading, there is a child from a Hindu background and at least two children from Agnostic/Atheist households. In the past the class ha...more
Hannah Melberg
Don't Laugh at Me was about a variety of different kids that have something different about them. Like having braces or being fat or having a mouthful of braces. They just don’t want to be laughed at or be called names. They know that in Gods eyed they are all the same. This book had awesome illustrations that children would love. They were colorful with very modern illustrations. This would be a great book to share to kids about bullying. That everyone is different and that it isn’t right to ca...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I didn't know this was a song until I started reading the book. It came with a CD, but I didn't listen to it, so I can't say anything about the music. The lyrics, accompanied by illustrations, were excellent, however. The song features various people--fat, thin, of different skin colors, races, a girl with braces, a kid with glasses, all kinds of people who might be made fun of for being "different," with a plea not to laugh at them for their differences. I really like that! An afterword by sing...more
Brittney Finck
This book about bullying also comes with a CD with the same title. I was unaware that this book was written and illustrated based on a country song that I really enjoy. The pictures are kid friendly and I believe this story could be a great tool to use when the issue of bullying arises. For those who didn't know this book was a song I agree that it is too brief, however, for a younger set of kids the bullying issue shouldn't have to go much deeper.
Bethany
Children can be mean. This book talks about the various topics children get picked-on for thoughout their school years. The geek with glasses, the girl with braces, etc. It is a didactic book in how to treat each other with respect and love, no matter who they are or what they look like. The simple, short text on each page and modern illustrations help this book to relate to many children today.
Olivia Rowley
This book was okay, but not my favorite. It gives examples of reasons children might be made fun of. It also explains how it hurts their feelings and that it is not nice to make fun of people. It has a lot of religion mixed in the book. It says that we are all the same in God’s eye and should not make fun of others. I could use this in my classroom when discussing bullying and how it is wrong.
Scott
I interviewed Allen Shamblin after he received recognition for co-writing the CMA 2010 Song of The Year, The House That Built Me. Allen is a humble, creative man with a true heart for humanity. Don't Laugh At Me will bless a child, parent or grandparent that is facing a bully. I think this book should be in every classroom, and read often. Thanks Allen & Steve!
Tracy Mercier
I liked Don't Laugh At Me because it reminded me to be kind to others. One thing it said was to play with other people when the boy said they are always picked last. It told me not to make fun of people who are deaf or blind. To not lau at someone who has glasses or braces.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Don't Laugh at Me is a picture book about our differences, the very differences that can be the source of teasing and bullying. However, the message is that of celebrating, compassion, and respect. Book comes with a CD with music from Peter Yarrow, sung by Steve Seskin. PK
Kathryn Sublett
This book does not shy away from the reasons students get bullied. It is straightforward and that's what students need. It could be used throughout elementary grade levels. Teachers can choose to leave out the inclusion of religion in the book on a class basis.
Debbie
I didn't listen to the CD that accompanies the book, but I found the text too brief. This might be a nice book to us with very young children when talking about bullying. I teach fourth graders and found Just Kidding by Trudy Ludwig much more effective.
Shelli
Amazing book to share with kids. Don't laugh at me has bright beautiful illustration, a message of compassion, and a music disc to play along with the music of Peter Yarrow to make the book sing along fun. Kids will want to play this over and over again.
Jennifer Borduin
This book cannot be used in the classroom. There are references as to how it is okay to be "different" because we're all awesome in Gods eyes, but not everyone believes in a God. Besides the religion reference, the book was horrifyingly depressing.
Inggita
quite touching if you know of a kid who's being bullied - Steve Seskin is a damn funny country singer - he's like Margaret Cho with a guitar - but he has his sober sides, i mean, he's a country singer - and therefore this book. Great paintings.
Kirsten
Nov 08, 2007 Kirsten rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
This is a children's book about how everyone is differnt, and how children feel hurt when you make fun of them. I used this book along with the CD of the same story to teach about why being a bully isn't nice in elementry school settings.
Bree
my friend just showed this book to me tonight. The pictures were beautiful, the subject was heartbreaking, and is age appropriate for young children. I love this book! It even comes with a CD in the back to sing the song.
I think this is a good book for younger students. It does say God so some people are not comfortable with it. I use it to enforce my no bullying policy in my classroom. It also come with the CD, my students favorite part!
Elizabeth
Another great book for teaching voice. This one uses the topic of how students are different to help develop character voice. Each character difference is a separate voice that students can relate to.
Raafia
Samantha
This is an awesome book based on a song called "don't laugh at me." It illustrates many of the differences that peple make fun of. I remember singing this song when I was little at sleep away camp.
Brooklyn Dugas
I really liked Don't Laugh At Me because it reminds me to not make fun of other people. One part of the story of the that I really liked was when it said I'm the one who is always chosen last.
Kendra
A great story to teach children that it is okay to be different. Also, this book would be great to use to teach children not to laugh at others even if they are not just like you.
Ubalstecha
Picture book adaptation of the popular country song. Great for teachers trying to cover anti-bullying curriculum and empathy. Try to get the edition with a CD of the song.
 Patti
Great addition to our collection of books on bullying, also includes a CD with the song. Hope to connect with our music teacher so students can perform at a school assembly
jenna nims
Caroline stands in the front yard and howls this song at the top of her lungs while playing her acoustic guitar in her underwear - like grandpa like granddaughter!!
Shelli
The amazing art plus the fantastic vocals with the cd playing along make this a very moving book. Great message for kids and adults alike. A must read!
K
Okay, it bugs me that they pick a song and then keep cutting parts or all of the chorus in the text of the book, but I love this song and the illustrations.
Barbara
Jun 14, 2009 Barbara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd grade & up
Created after the popular country music song, "Don't Laugh at Me," children are taught about bullying and teasing through this picture book.
Mariel Galgas
I plan to use this book with our school wide PBIS lesson plans to teach students about empathy and caring for one another.
A Chance to Shine Sing My Song: A Kid's Guide to Songwriting Don't Laugh At Me