Start by marking “Don't Laugh at Me (Reading Rainbow books)” as Want to Read:
Don't Laugh at Me (Reading Rainbow books)

Don't Laugh at Me (Reading Rainbow books)

Don't Laugh at Me
Hardcover
Published by Tricycle Press (first published August 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Laugh at Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Laugh at Me

Denise
Lovely artwork and a good lesson on ethical behavior. Comes with music and recording.

This is the third book in the Project Cornerstone series. I like the concept and I think it provides a great opening for a discussion with children on being different or how to treat those who appear different.

My only criticism is the religious element. In the classroom that I am reading, there is a child from a Hindu background and at least two children from Agnostic/Atheist households. In the past the class ha
Vittoria
May 01, 2013 Vittoria rated it it was amazing
I like the book because it was about kids who got bullied and they tried to stand up to themselves and told us how they felt.
Dawn
Sep 17, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent discussion starter about bullying. It shows how people in all walks of life have differences but that doesn't mean we should tease. I LOVE this book as I feel bully discussions are vital.
Ashley Valenzuela
May 11, 2015 Ashley Valenzuela rated it really liked it
This book teaches students about what it feels like to be picked on or made fun of. It would be great to use for promoting an anti-bullying community.
Karen Creech
Aug 14, 2014 Karen Creech rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-reads
This is a great book to use at the beginning of the year to discuss what respect looks like and what it does not look like. It will be a great addition to my class constitution lesson.
Colleen Overlander
The text, "Don't Laugh At Me", is an excellent choice, as it's been acknowledged by Reading Rainbow. It tells the story of children who stand out from the rest of the student body and who would be identified as "different" and/or unique, such as the child who has braces when no one else does, or the child who is in a wheelchair, or the child who has no one to play with at recess, or the child who has glasses, etc. It portrays the story of those being bullied as well as those who bully. Through i ...more
Kiya
Mar 25, 2016 Kiya added it
The plot summary is people being treated differently due to their differences within themselves and feeling bad about themselves, crying themselves to sleep, not wanting to work or talk to anyone. My opinion of this book is it's a very great book! I would rate it a 5! It is very touching but simple. It's simple but it has a lot of meaning behind it. It's appropriate for this age level because it's in simple words and it's not very long and it's not to short, it's just right. Also it's appropriat ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I didn't know this was a song until I started reading the book. It came with a CD, but I didn't listen to it, so I can't say anything about the music. The lyrics, accompanied by illustrations, were excellent, however. The song features various people--fat, thin, of different skin colors, races, a girl with braces, a kid with glasses, all kinds of people who might be made fun of for being "different," with a plea not to laugh at them for their differences. I really like that! An afterword by sing ...more
Hannah Melberg
Apr 15, 2013 Hannah Melberg rated it liked it
Don't Laugh at Me was about a variety of different kids that have something different about them. Like having braces or being fat or having a mouthful of braces. They just don’t want to be laughed at or be called names. They know that in Gods eyed they are all the same. This book had awesome illustrations that children would love. They were colorful with very modern illustrations. This would be a great book to share to kids about bullying. That everyone is different and that it isn’t right to ca ...more
Amanda Buss
Nov 27, 2014 Amanda Buss rated it it was amazing
I'm glad that I chose this book from the EMC. I was there getting other books and when I walked past the put back cart...something drew me in. So I didn't read it until today when I needed a break from homework. I am so glad I found this book, I have loved the song for many years. I'm glad to see that the song, has touched me in many different personal ways, has been made into a book. I'm not sure if I would be able to teach with it in a public school. But I believe it is a good message to help ...more
Christina Velasquez
Feb 16, 2015 Christina Velasquez rated it really liked it
This book would be a great starting point for a discussion on respect, differences and bullying. It has a large variety of characters who all have a characteristic that others might make fun of or not understand, and they are each asking for respect. I think it would be a great discussion-starter. My one hesitation would be the religious aspect, as there is one line that says "In God's eyes, we are all the same." I don't know if I would read this line, and I don't think it's necessary to have a ...more
Olivia Rowley
Nov 23, 2013 Olivia Rowley rated it it was ok
This book was okay, but not my favorite. It gives examples of reasons children might be made fun of. It also explains how it hurts their feelings and that it is not nice to make fun of people. It has a lot of religion mixed in the book. It says that we are all the same in God’s eye and should not make fun of others. I could use this in my classroom when discussing bullying and how it is wrong.
Brittney Finck
This book about bullying also comes with a CD with the same title. I was unaware that this book was written and illustrated based on a country song that I really enjoy. The pictures are kid friendly and I believe this story could be a great tool to use when the issue of bullying arises. For those who didn't know this book was a song I agree that it is too brief, however, for a younger set of kids the bullying issue shouldn't have to go much deeper.
Bethany
Sep 30, 2011 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Children can be mean. This book talks about the various topics children get picked-on for thoughout their school years. The geek with glasses, the girl with braces, etc. It is a didactic book in how to treat each other with respect and love, no matter who they are or what they look like. The simple, short text on each page and modern illustrations help this book to relate to many children today.
Nicole
Loved the pictures, loved the array of (dis)abilities covered, and loved the simple, kid-friendly message to look past difference and learn to accept one another for what is on the inside. Did not love the religious mentions of "angel wings," and "all being the same in God's eyes." Please do read this book to students who you are teaching about differences, but be forewarned of the religious piece.
Michaela Baillie
This story is about little children who have differences from the "normal" student. They talk about what they don't do because of this, and the recurring sentence is, "Don't laugh at me..." This book was also made into a song. I would probably use this book in the beginning of the year when we are setting up rules in grades k-3.
Scott
May 03, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I interviewed Allen Shamblin after he received recognition for co-writing the CMA 2010 Song of The Year, The House That Built Me. Allen is a humble, creative man with a true heart for humanity. Don't Laugh At Me will bless a child, parent or grandparent that is facing a bully. I think this book should be in every classroom, and read often. Thanks Allen & Steve!
Andrea
The book Don't laugh at me, is about realizing that everyone is different but we dont always have to point out those differences. We learn to celebrate and include everyone. I would use this in the classroom to help acknowledge and point out that everyone is different, but that doesnt mean they need to be pointed out or even bullied because of it.
Jessica
This is a very real expression of cruelty of verbal abuse and its effect on young children. Children in this book are laughed at and called names just for wearing braces or glasses or for being in a wheel chair. "Don't laugh at me" they say, such a simple statement that says so much. Listing to the musical version really enhances the story. English Title: Don't Laugh at Me.
Debbie
Jan 09, 2011 Debbie rated it it was ok
I didn't listen to the CD that accompanies the book, but I found the text too brief. This might be a nice book to us with very young children when talking about bullying. I teach fourth graders and found Just Kidding by Trudy Ludwig much more effective.
Raafia
Inggita
Aug 06, 2007 Inggita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite touching if you know of a kid who's being bullied - Steve Seskin is a damn funny country singer - he's like Margaret Cho with a guitar - but he has his sober sides, i mean, he's a country singer - and therefore this book. Great paintings.
Jennifer Borduin
This book cannot be used in the classroom. There are references as to how it is okay to be "different" because we're all awesome in Gods eyes, but not everyone believes in a God. Besides the religion reference, the book was horrifyingly depressing.
Kirsten
Nov 08, 2007 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
This is a children's book about how everyone is differnt, and how children feel hurt when you make fun of them. I used this book along with the CD of the same story to teach about why being a bully isn't nice in elementry school settings.
Bree
Oct 08, 2008 Bree rated it it was amazing
my friend just showed this book to me tonight. The pictures were beautiful, the subject was heartbreaking, and is age appropriate for young children. I love this book! It even comes with a CD in the back to sing the song.
Aug 31, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
I think this is a good book for younger students. It does say God so some people are not comfortable with it. I use it to enforce my no bullying policy in my classroom. It also come with the CD, my students favorite part!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Don't Laugh at Me is a picture book about our differences, the very differences that can be the source of teasing and bullying. However, the message is that of celebrating, compassion, and respect. Book comes with a CD with music from Peter Yarrow, sung by Steve Seskin. PK
Tracy Mercier
I liked Don't Laugh At Me because it reminded me to be kind to others. One thing it said was to play with other people when the boy said they are always picked last. It told me not to make fun of people who are deaf or blind. To not lau at someone who has glasses or braces.
Kathryn Sublett
This book does not shy away from the reasons students get bullied. It is straightforward and that's what students need. It could be used throughout elementary grade levels. Teachers can choose to leave out the inclusion of religion in the book on a class basis.
Elizabeth
Another great book for teaching voice. This one uses the topic of how students are different to help develop character voice. Each character difference is a separate voice that students can relate to.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Just Kidding
  • The Recess Queen
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids
  • Baghead
  • My Name Is Celia: The Life Of Celia Cruz / Me Llamo Celia: La Vida de Celia Cruz
  • Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin