Start by marking “Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons” as Want to Read:

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  3,925 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons" is the biography of a writer who vividly depicted alien creatures and new worlds. As the author of the "Dragonriders of Pern" series, McCaffrey (b. 1926) was one of the most significant writers of science fiction and fantasy. She was the first woman to win the Hugo and Nebula awards, and her 1978 novel "The White Dragon" was the first ...more
Published August 15th 2007 by University Press of Mississippi

To ask other readers questions about Anne McCaffrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne McCaffrey

Helen
Mar 28, 2011 Helen rated it did not like it
Shelves: biographies
A book about my absolute fovorite author--couldn't wait to read it. What a waste of a week!!! as interesting as watching paint dry. Robin Roberts is not a fan I suppose. Anne Mccaffrey has amazing talent and her life has been so interesting---how could anyone write such a BORING book about it??
Ramoths Own
Sep 11, 2011 Ramoths Own rated it liked it
I loved learning facts about one of my favorite authors, and this book does help us to know a bit about her. I did find it a bit of a dull read in places though. The subject matter is not dull but the writing I guess. I can't put a finger on it. I was glad to have read it and happy to own it. I just wish that it was a different type of read.
Lorraine
May 20, 2009 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Flewts
Mar 06, 2013 Flewts rated it it was amazing
This is less a biography than a thoughtful analysis of her work and how her life experiences are reflected in that work. Having read just about everything Anne McCaffrey ever wrote, I very much enjoyed this approach. One odd thing that I found very annoying was the physical book pages. I had to turn them from the top or the bottom. The side edges were uneven, intentionally so, and this made it nearly impossible to use them to turn the page. Seems petty, but it came up with every page turn!

This b
Melissa
Nov 22, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
This book tended to focus on more of Anne's personal life than her books, which in a way was interesting. The problem that I had with it is that within each chapter the author constantly jumped back and forth in time. She'd be talking about 1971 in one sentence, a few sentences later, it was 1973, and then it was 1970. It was this way throughout the book, making it very difficult and unenjoyable to read, in my opinion.
Susan Baez randleman
Sep 19, 2014 Susan Baez randleman rated it it was amazing
Ruth was one of my very favorite dragons! His story and rider story unique! Anne's writing g style so refreshing! A great dragon fantasy novel that just keeps the story and this universe alive. I looked forward to reading more about this planet, the people, their struggles to survive and overcome all obstacles whether man made or natural disasters!!
Virginia Ann Korleski
I like it need to re-read it.
Kathyb
Oct 23, 2011 Kathyb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was obviously written by a fan, but it was worth the read. I wish it had a bibliography of Anne's books in it.
Shirley Hill
Nov 05, 2014 Shirley Hill rated it it was amazing
Love all of Ann McCaffrey books. The Dragon books are so engrossing. You just want to be there.
Sherry
May 17, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I have read the Dragonriders of Pern series over and over at least 5 times since 1977. Anything by Anne McCaffrey is well worth the read.
Theresa
Jul 07, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Roberts, Robin'
collection of short stories from Anne Mccaffrey
Kate Roshon
Mar 19, 2013 Kate Roshon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons
This gives great insight if you are a true Anne McCaffrey fan. Robin Roberts does a great job going back and visiting Anne's life!
Emily
Oct 22, 2016 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne McCaffrey is a cool person. This biography is a bit repetitive but you can tell that every page was written with love.
Gail M
Gail M rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Christopher Layton
Christopher Layton rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2014
Ceaer
Ceaer rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Angela Novak
Angela Novak rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Jasae Bushae
Jasae Bushae rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Marcia Carter
Marcia Carter rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Sandra J. McKenzie
Sandra J. McKenzie rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Dorothy Kocher
Dorothy Kocher rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2017
Gari
Gari rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Brobin
Brobin rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Tia Darcy
Tia Darcy rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Carolyn McDermott
Carolyn McDermott rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2017
Samantha Ouellette
Samantha Ouellette rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014