Start by marking “Eloise” as Want to Read:
Eloise

Eloise

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,024 ratings  ·  232 reviews
She was a daughter, a wife, a mother. She was my friend. But what secrets did Eloise take to her grave?

After her best friend Eloise dies from breast cancer, Cathy is devastated. But then Cathy begins to have disturbing dreams that imply Eloise's death was not all it seems.

Published October 11th 2012 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2012)

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierJamaica Inn by Daphne du MaurierFrenchman's Creek by Daphne du MaurierThe Shell Seekers by Rosamunde PilcherRoss Poldark by Winston Graham
Books set in Cornwall
64th out of 153 books — 30 voters
Finale by Becca FitzpatrickAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneThe Mark of Athena by Rick RiordanThe Lost Prince by Julie KagawaIced by Karen Marie Moning
Best books of October, 2012
87th out of 107 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Adele Geraghty
Don't waste your time, unless you enjoy juvenile name-dropping and working in what appear to be, travel adverts for a certain locale as part of the plot. I think the author's TV status must have allowed some of this to escape the editing process but, unfortunately, it didn't escape me. Simply put, it's written poorly but, it could have worked with some professional editing. A torture to finish due to the repetitive descriptions and explanations that, even a child could grasp the first time. I wa ...more
Jo
I really wanted to like this book but the word that somes it up for me is irritating. I expected so much more. Cathy is a very fragile, weak character with a history of depression (that's not what makes her weak I hasten to add) married to a psychiatrist. Her best friend Eloise dies of cancer and she seems to be haunted by her spirit telling her that her (Eloise's) children are in danger. The voice of JF kept coming through as though she was interviewing someone on This Morning. Plot was eminent ...more
Susan

With a history of depression, Cathy is only just recovering from a nervous breakdown and her husband Chris, a psychiatrist, is acutely aware of his wife's mental frailty. When Cathy tells Chris of her suspicions about Eloise's
Annalise Hulse
Hmmm - I feel a bit mean for saying anything bad about this book when I see from the ackowledgements that Judy Finnigan dedicated it to Caron Keating who died tragically young from breast cancer, but the fact is it just wasn't that great and honesty must prevail over sentimentality I guess.

To be fair, it's not all bad. The basic premise of the story is that middle aged, (painfully) middle classed and slightly unbalanced Cathy has lost her best friend, the Eloise of the title, to breast cancer.

E
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I have to say that as soon as I heard Judy Finnigan was releasing Eloise, I was very very excited about it, and my Nan was too. In fact, as soon as it came through the letter box she was eyeing it up!

Cathy is devastated when her best friend Eloise dies, leaving behind her husband Ted, her mother Juliana and her two beautiful children. With a history of depression, Cathy struggles with Eloise’s death, and finds no comfort from Cathy’s husband Ted, or Juliana. Even Cathy’s husband Chris offers no
Blair
Mother-of-three Cathy is recovering from two terrible events: the death of her best friend Eloise from breast cancer, and a bout of serious depression which led to a nervous breakdown. When she starts having vivid dreams about Eloise and even seeming to see her in real life, her family believe she is heading for a relapse, but Cathy is convinced the 'visions' are real and that Eloise really is trying to tell her something. In order to convince her sceptical husband and protect Eloise's children, ...more
Juana
WARNING: contains a few spolers!

_
I wonder if this book would ever be published if the author wasn’t the Judy of the Richard & Judy Book Club. Thinking about that, you’d believe that reading so many books with the sole purpose of producing reviews would have teached Judy something about writing.
Alas, this is not the case.
This book has been a huge, massive disappointment and an enormous waste of my time. The weak idea out of which this book was created keeps stretching page after page, making
Lin Block
This was such a disappointing book.

The plot is see-through and obvious, I read to page 45, guessed the ending and the read the last few chapters to find no surprises, but a couple of extra characters had been put into the mix. A quick flick back and it was easy to see who they were.

Considering the publicity for this book has been rumbling for almost all the two years it took to write, I expected a story that held my interest.

As a ghost story, it doesn't really work; references to 'Rebecca' cro
Carol
I was very disappointed with this book after looking forward to it following all the publicity. I found it all a bit "twee" and Cornwall very much depicted through rose tinted specs. It wasn't ghostly or spooky, was it meant to be a mystery or a thriller I don't know but it didn't succeed on either. I found the characters shallow, and don't think it was particularly well written. Sorry Judy but not as good as it was cracked up to be.
Sandra "Jeanz"
MY REVIEW
I downloaded this book from Netgalley free, in exchange for my honest review.
I felt drawn to the cover, the lonely image of the woman on the beach. I like the colouring of the blues on the cover in the sky and the sea too. I like the byline "What secrets did she take to her grave" it creates intrigue before you even start reading the book.
So would the cover make me pick the book up from a book store shelf? The cover would attract me to pick up the book and then as the author is Judy Fin
Julie Lees
‘Eloise’ is a first novel by she of ‘Richard and Judy’ fame, Judy Finnigan.

It tells the story of a woman grieving for the loss of her friend, the eponymous Eloise, who has died, prematurely, at the age of forty-five from cancer.

The atmospheric backdrop of Cornwall lends its wild, rural landscape to echo the bleakness of the Yorkshire Moors and remind us of that Brontë classic, ‘Wuthering Heights’, the references to which are ubiquitous throughout this read. Now the scene is set and we have been
Jo Evans
I so wanted to really like this book and it does have much to enjoy, however the pace is not consistent and some of the characters are just not believable.(Chris for example, for a supposed eminent psychologist is incredibly backward and out of date in his thinking). The final chapters dragged on and I laughed out loud to see the work cuckold used in all seriousness almost as a mitigating excuse for an inexcusable crime. The plot, characters, terminology and setting are at odds with each other, ...more
Jan
I really wanted to like this book because I have always enjoyed listening to the author on television but I just found it very repetitive. I got the whole thing about how much all the children were loved and how tragic it was that her friend died but it didnt have to be repeated in every chapter. I also got the whole Rebecca and Wuthering heights theme but I felt it was overdone and the main characters began to bug me so I didnt really care by the end of it, I was relieved it was finished, I was ...more
Jane Myers
Absolute rubbish. The writing is amateur, the dialogue stilted. Boring most of the way through. If she wasn't a 'celebrity' this would never have got published. Time spent reading this tripe I can never get back again. Wouldn't even award it one star if there was the option.
Lynda
Awful! Boring, repetitive, self-indulgent style with unrealistic, unpleasant, stereotypical characters. Didn't work as a ghost story either - not scary! Perhps more detail on the main storyline rather than the minutiae of daily life would have helped. Nice cover art though!
Sharon
wanted to like this as set in area I know well and love and like nothing more than atmospheric ghostly tale. Just did not get on at all with this sadly, felt it read like a magazine story and gave up on it well before the end.
Lisa
What an utter crock of sh*te. Repetitive (we are presumed to be too stupid to remember the previous chapter/page!), disappointing, and distinctly lacking any likeable characters...mostly as a result of it being so poorly written.
Sarah Farmer-wright
Absolutely dreadful! Weak storyline badly written - sorry folks, sorry Judy Finnegan - stick to the day job!
Heidi
I’m a sucker for a good ghost story, especially ones set in rural UK settings, so I was very excited to receive Eloise from Netgalley.

Still recovering from a recent bout of clinical depression, Cathy finds it difficult to cope with the untimely death of her best friend Eloise, a mother of two young children, from breast cancer. When Eloise begins to appear to her in her dreams, trying to convince her that her children are in terrible danger, Cathy finds it difficult to turn to anyone for help wi
Eva Le Bon
'A sensitive book, gets you thinking..it's fragile yet strong.
In this era of books on prescription, biblio-therapy, I could imagine this book: Eloise being both an individual read and a really addictive story for a reading group, as some of the themes it touches: hard to speak up about may well be true in many different guises for lots of us in different ways and contribute to the turbulence of mental illness.

What an awful dilemma we can find ourselves in when we are not one hundred per cent sur
Bowerbird
I have given this book two stars because I did actually finish it. Maybe the compulsion to do that was to see how much more the author could draw from Wuthering Heights to advance her plot. I found the characters unconvincing and the reliance on the works of the Brontes and Daphne Du Maurier far too much to be acceptable.
Although it was easy to read, a point in the author's favour, the characters' personalities altered from black to white and back again over a couple of paragraphs. Absolutely n
Glynis
What a load of old rubbish.

Talk about Barbara Cartland - "We smiled at each other, and he kissed me. A long, long kiss. I felt like a dry, drooping flower, parched of love and affection, at long last receiving the precious gift of rain"!

Mawkish, unreal nonsense. Uhhh, havent you heard of the Police and Ambulance Service!

Sorry but could find nothing that would make me recommend this book.
zenbren
Despite reading some poor reviews I decided to give this book a go. I found it boring and irritatingly badly written. The plot wasn't well constructed and the dialogue felt very contrived. The writer's celeb status has probably accounted for it's success.it just wasn't a satisfying book at any level.
Julia Cronin
I had high expectations for this book but was really disappointed. It wasn't particularly well written, using repetitive descriptive language and I didn't get to know the characters that well. I really didn't find it spooky either. :(
Ellie
Without doubt one of the worst books I have ever read. I think it may JUST about scrape a C if it was a GCSE writer exam piece. The storyline was appalling, the lead character melo dramatic and plot ridiculous. There was no continuity. 19 year old son playing football happily with their Dad in the garden? Lead character Cathy is insane, her heart constantly flooding with love for her daughter, her husbands kiss dripping water into her mouth like a dried up plant.. even when she was having the mo ...more
Kath

This had the potential to be better than it was as there were some good ideas and the atmospheric setting could have been chilling. Unfortunately much of the descriptive writing was derivative and the characters jumped between extreme emotions in such short spaces of time that it seemed like a cheap melodrama. Similarly the dialogue was often contrived. I was hoping for a twist at the end but found it disappointingly predictable.
Christine Bowen
Wouldn't recommend this book. It was enough of a page turner to keep going to the end, but was disappointing. The discussions between Cathy and Chris were repetitious and became tiresome. Was expecting some sort of twist or surprise at the end to rescue it, but there was none!
Fiona
I enjoy my fair share of 'holiday reads'. BUT... Repetitious, terrible dialogue, poor characterisation. Need I go on?
Methinks without Judy Finnegan's name behind it, this may never have seen the light of day. Worst book I've read in a long time.
Charis Poynton
I've only read the first four chapters and I can't grasp where this book is going. It doesn't grab you and make you keep turning the pages...it's slow and not particularly well written! Must try harder next time Ms. Finnigan!!
Phil
May 13, 2013 Phil added it
i lost the will to live half way through this book. zero stars. poorly written, weak unbelievable characters. boring from start to finish.
The Magical Unive...: Eloise 2 11 Sep 27, 2013 02:00AM
Bookwormed Reviews: Eloise - Judy Finnigan 1 10 Jul 28, 2013 02:27AM
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • What Matters Most
  • A Dangerous Fiction: A Mystery
  • In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery, #1)
  • Yesterday's Echo
  • Grains of Truth
  • The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison, #1)
  • One Great Year
  • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
  • Paradise
  • The Fall of Saints
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping: A Mystery (Father Christmas Mystery #3)
  • Secretariat Reborn
  • Deadly Diamonds
  • Rogue (The Beloved, #2)
  • Letters From a Murderer: The First Jameson & Argenti Investigation