Mattress Actress

Mattress Actress

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Mattress Actress is the story of Annika Cleeve's eighteen years as a sex worker.

Her troubled childhood in Queensland led to working in a brothel on the Sunshine Coast at the age of fifteen, and from there Annika worked her way up to the high-end parlours, agencies and private work in various parts of Australia and internationally.

In this book Annika reveals the truth of a...more
Published September 15th 2012 by Momentum

Mattress Actress by Annika CleeveAll I Could Bare by Craig SeymourRunaway by Evelyn LauBitter Sweet by Mason N. ForbesCooking in Heels by Ceyenne Doroshow
Sex Worker Memoirs
1st out of 98 books — 25 voters
Irrepressible You by Georgina PenneyWinter of the Passion Flower by Annie SeatonVampire Origins - Project Ichorous by Riley BanksShadow Beneath the Sea by Joanna  LloydBeyond Innocence by Joanna  Lloyd
Australian Authors
63rd out of 289 books — 215 voters

More lists with this book...

Annika Cleeve
Sep 30, 2012 Annika Cleeve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I am slightly bias.
Jim Vrckovski
This is a very entertaining and inspirational read. I enjoyed this book very much because it gave an excellent account of a true survivor.

Essentially it's the story of a lady with a horrible childhood that becomes a sex worker and has a child along the way. She continues to explain the innards of the sex industry in a very entertaining manner. There is a happy ending - no pun intended - and she eventually finds true love.

Excellent book, especially if you are from Australia.
Anne Treasure
Wow. Intensely revelatory about life as a prostitute. Some very interesting stories.
Miss-neisha Lipschitz
A refreshing and honest account of life as a sex worker.
I say 'refreshing' because it isn't a trite story that takes readers on a journey of 'once upon a time I was a drug addict that funded my habit with sex work' like many other sex work memoirs seem to be. I enjoyed reading the tale of a woman doing what she felt was necessary to improve her circumstances in life.
This book pulls no punches, doesn't sugar coat and keeps you engaged til the very end.
The only negative is that there isn't a se...more
G.N.
This book, based purely on the skill of the writing inside, is pretty much exactly what a memoir needs to be. Smart, sharp, succinct yet explanatory--it ticks all the boxes. One online dictionary defines a memoir as 'a record of events written by a person having intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation.' Mattress Actress does this.
Then we look at the content.
Annika Cleeve lived a life that much of society refuses to discuss or acknowledge. She moved within circles that most w...more
Jaz Sinner
Loved the book couldn't put it down (and that doesn't happen very often). It really gives a positive perspective to a socially unacceptable profession. Not all sex workers are drug addicts (but a lot are). I have respect for Annika because she did it sober and for a very good cause (her daughter). She has led a very interesting life with many stories to tell. Highly reccommend this book
Amandakerr
Honest Account Of One Woman's Life As A Sex Worker

Mattress Actress by Annika Cleeve is an honest account of her life, spending 18 years as a sex worker. She is upfront about her story and details her good, the bad and the ugly truth.

Annika holds nothing back in this gripping account. She recounts her teenage years and even her international travels in this remarkable memoir.

Highly recommended read!!
Britta
I couldn't put this book down until I had devoured all of it. It is insightful, funny, emotive and inspiring. It also gives you a new found respect for those marginalised by society that live outside the 'scope of justice'. Simply a good read!
Alisinny
This was one of those books which I thought sounded interesting and compelling. Unfortunately I was quite mistaken in this assumption.
My first impression was that the author heard of the phenomenal success enjoyed by Belle De Jour with her diary series, which have gone on to become a huge success in the UK and elsewhere. Unfortunately, Ms Cleve doesn't possess the almost poetic literary skills which flow from Ms DeJour's writing.
My overall feeling after reading this book was one of disappointm...more
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Tameekah
Tameekah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Hollyeddy9246
Hollyeddy9246 marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Princ3ss
Princ3ss marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Suzanne Berry
Suzanne Berry marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Leah Field
Leah Field marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Chesspalomino
Chesspalomino marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Sandra Wilson
Sandra Wilson marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Farlina Khan
Farlina Khan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Prostitution is never the first choice for most young ladies when contemplating their future careers in high school. It generally comes about from a lack of viable alternatives. Often there is a sense of worthlessness that builds over years leading to this decision.

In my case I was homeless by aged 14. No ID, no birth certificate and not old enough to get a job to shelter and feed me I took to str...more
More about Annika Cleeve...