Start by marking “Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter, #3)

Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter #3)

Twelve years have passed since the events of A Handful of Stars. Star continues to silently mourn Caleb's death, World Builders, Inc. is completing its first asteroid-based Bernal sphere, and the Svensdotter twins are of a restless age. When the opportunity to undertake a survey mission of Mars? Cydonia region presents itself, Star leaps at the chance. Drifting above Mars' ...more
Published October 28th 2011 by Gere Donovan Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Red Planet Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Planet Run

J.L. Dobias
May 21, 2013 J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Science lovers and readers of Robert Heinlein
Shelves: book-shelf-11
Red Planet Run (A Star Svensdotter Adventure)

I loved this story much more than the two previous. I felt the two previous were doing quite well at paying homage to Robert Heinlein. There is nothing wrong with that but for some reason I felt I was seeing more of the true Dana Stabenow throughout this book. I can't really say that with utmost authority since I've not read any of her other books than this series.

The story picks up where we left Star in the previous. She is on the verge of finishing
Cindy
Oct 20, 2012 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The last of a trilogy of space operas, it was the least enjoyable. Following Star Svensdotter from a thriving, mercurial "society" to Mars could have proven another larger than life adventure for this experienced spacer, however, it never really captured attention, nor did it challenge the imagination like her first and second books of the trilogy. The trip to Mars was poorly imagined, with little to support it as a reason for an entire book. Though there was some excitement along the way to Mar ...more
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Enjoyable enough, but pretty un-exceptional. Stabenow knows how to spin an entertaining yarn, and though her first-person narrator sounds very contemporary (with the time period in which the book was published, 1995) her voice is engaging and snarky. Nice world-building and physics too--Stabenow has done her homework. The family history parts in the second chapter dragged things down some, so a star off for that, and no real surprises in the somewhat talky ending, either. Solidly constructed, bu ...more
Brian Palmer
Very different in feel from the previous two books in the series, this is an older, more reflective novel. Rather than spend time bursting into unexplored frontiers, this uses the setting of Mars, a planet that had so little potential that the US and the USSR (or their equivalents in this universe) both essentially ignore it, other than a token Russian settlement. Some of the mysteries from the previous book regarding life in the Solar System are explored, but it felt like everything was just to ...more
grundoon
May 29, 2016 grundoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I'm obviously late to the game here, and suppose it's better coming in with full knowledge there are only the three, than having year-in/out hoped her next might be a return. But I'll no less miss Star Svensdotter - a very different strong female lead from Kate Shugak, and (it turns out) a descendant of an alternate-history version of the Shugak clan. Don't come for great scifi; come for entertainment and some pretty terrific character development.
Rosilyne
Jun 21, 2013 Rosilyne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book, skeptical even. I have read Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak books for so long, that I didn't take this series seriously. But I loved this book. It was dense and smart and full of the complex, human characters that are part of why I love her writing. Humor, and people who are imperfect. and the previous book in the series was also excellent. It snuck up on me. Highly recommended.
Nicole Cadet
Mar 28, 2012 Nicole Cadet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Similar to the first two novels, it kind of ambles along. There were some unexpected emotional scenes, and the ending was a bit hurried. Some of the story arcs seemed a little unfinished, however I read the book from the point of view as travelling vicariously through Star & her kids, so enjoyed it.
Nancye
Apr 26, 2012 Nancye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. I still don't fully follow when things get technical. Science was never my strong point. But I still love Star and those around her. She is such a strong person who has some great adventures and doesn't back down from a fight. I was sorry to finish this one knowing there isn't another one.
Thom
Dec 18, 2013 Thom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
The challenges and villain were not up to the other books in the series; this book felt more like a travelogue than sci-fi or mystery. While I enjoyed some of the stops along the way, the science was outdated and the descriptions forced. Interesting speculation on the universe and archetypes at the end.
I will read at least one mystery by this author in the future.
Aug 24, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and pleasant reading; I see now that I didn't read the first book and jumped into #2 and #3. Sometimes my tendency to grab-n-read off the pile bites me in the butt; this was probably one of those times, and I wonder what I missed.
Matthew
Feb 07, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was more. Ended on a neat philosophical note that could've driven the narrative ark further. Sadly it was left to peter out in favor of the Shugak novels, which I also want more of. I suspect there's a finite amount of time to work with, so I'll take what I can get either way!
Heather
Mar 29, 2013 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinlein fans
3.5 really.
Both for better and for worse, reads like a Heinlein juvenile with occasional R-rated moments.

At least in the 2nd & 3rd books of the series, she's mostly gotten away from the ghastly cultural stereotypes.
Laz the Sailor
Sep 09, 2012 Laz the Sailor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Lots of Heinlein in here - a fun story. Lots of cool concepts introduced, but it's not buried in techno. It ends a little abruptly.
I've only finished one chapter. Not sure if I'll try again, but not for now. Maybe it would be better if I read previous 2 first.
Nicole
Jul 27, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
3.5 stars. I liked it, even through the techno jargon. But I was still reeling from the 2nd book's revelation.
Nancy
May 01, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
best of the series. Of course I am a fan.
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Liza Miller
Liza Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Loretta Torres
Loretta Torres rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Rafe
Rafe rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Sande Nissen
Sande Nissen rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2017
Roberta
Roberta rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Susan Bachelor
Susan Bachelor rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Shan Shwe
Shan Shwe rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Sophiene
Sophiene rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Dana Rhyne
Dana Rhyne rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2008
Liz Hemsley
Liz Hemsley rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
  • A Question of Time (Dracula Series, #7)
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • At Any Price (Hammer's Slammers)
  • Forests of the Night (Moreau, #1)
  • Battle Group Avalon (Castle Federation #3)
  • Operation Breakout (Merkiaari Wars, #4)
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Star Svensdotter (3 books)
  • Second Star (Star Svensdotter, #1)
  • A Handful Of Stars (Star Svensdotter, # 2)