Start by marking “Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter, #3)

Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Twelve years have passed since the events of A Handful of Stars. Star continues to silently mourn Caleb's death, World Builders, Inc. is completing its first asteroid-based Bernal sphere, and the Svensdotter twins are of a restless age. When the opportunity to undertake a survey mission of Mars? Cydonia region presents itself, Star leaps at the chance. Drifting above Mars' ...more
Published October 28th 2011 by Gere Donovan Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Red Planet Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Planet Run

J.L. Dobias
May 21, 2013 J.L. Dobias rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Science lovers and readers of Robert Heinlein
Shelves: book-shelf-11
Red Planet Run (A Star Svensdotter Adventure)

I loved this story much more than the two previous. I felt the two previous were doing quite well at paying homage to Robert Heinlein. There is nothing wrong with that but for some reason I felt I was seeing more of the true Dana Stabenow throughout this book. I can't really say that with utmost authority since I've not read any of her other books than this series.

The story picks up where we left Star in the previous. She is on the verge of finishing
Cindy
The last of a trilogy of space operas, it was the least enjoyable. Following Star Svensdotter from a thriving, mercurial "society" to Mars could have proven another larger than life adventure for this experienced spacer, however, it never really captured attention, nor did it challenge the imagination like her first and second books of the trilogy. The trip to Mars was poorly imagined, with little to support it as a reason for an entire book. Though there was some excitement along the way to Mar ...more
Brian Palmer
Very different in feel from the previous two books in the series, this is an older, more reflective novel. Rather than spend time bursting into unexplored frontiers, this uses the setting of Mars, a planet that had so little potential that the US and the USSR (or their equivalents in this universe) both essentially ignore it, other than a token Russian settlement. Some of the mysteries from the previous book regarding life in the Solar System are explored, but it felt like everything was just to ...more
Rosilyne
Excellent book. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book, skeptical even. I have read Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak books for so long, that I didn't take this series seriously. But I loved this book. It was dense and smart and full of the complex, human characters that are part of why I love her writing. Humor, and people who are imperfect. and the previous book in the series was also excellent. It snuck up on me. Highly recommended.
Thom
The challenges and villain were not up to the other books in the series; this book felt more like a travelogue than sci-fi or mystery. While I enjoyed some of the stops along the way, the science was outdated and the descriptions forced. Interesting speculation on the universe and archetypes at the end.
I will read at least one mystery by this author in the future.
Nancye
I loved it. I still don't fully follow when things get technical. Science was never my strong point. But I still love Star and those around her. She is such a strong person who has some great adventures and doesn't back down from a fight. I was sorry to finish this one knowing there isn't another one.
Nicole Cadet
Similar to the first two novels, it kind of ambles along. There were some unexpected emotional scenes, and the ending was a bit hurried. Some of the story arcs seemed a little unfinished, however I read the book from the point of view as travelling vicariously through Star & her kids, so enjoyed it.
Heather
Mar 31, 2013 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinlein fans
3.5 really.
Both for better and for worse, reads like a Heinlein juvenile with occasional R-rated moments.

At least in the 2nd & 3rd books of the series, she's mostly gotten away from the ghastly cultural stereotypes.
I've only finished one chapter. Not sure if I'll try again, but not for now. Maybe it would be better if I read previous 2 first.
Laz the Sailor
Lots of Heinlein in here - a fun story. Lots of cool concepts introduced, but it's not buried in techno. It ends a little abruptly.
Nicole
3.5 stars. I liked it, even through the techno jargon. But I was still reeling from the 2nd book's revelation.
Nancy
best of the series. Of course I am a fan.
Cheryl Mcallister
Cheryl Mcallister marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jen Bee
Jen Bee marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Roland D Peters
Roland D Peters marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Coldness in the Blood (Dracula Series, #10)
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Hard Duty (Merkiaari Wars, #1)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • Forests of the Night (Moreau, #1)
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • The Return of the Emperor (Sten, #6)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Star Svensdotter (4 books)
  • Second Star (Star Svensdotter, #1)
  • No Place Like Home
  • A Handful Of Stars (Star Svensdotter, # 2)
A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3) Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6) A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2) Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)