Start by marking “The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens” as Want to Read:
The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens

The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens (The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens #1+2)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Rediscover a man Americans turned to not only for news but for humor & wisdom. Growing up in Sacramento, Steffens (1866-1936) was an editor at the NY Evening Post, later at McClure’s Magazine. As popular as he was cantankerous, he brushed shoulders with presidents & corporate barons, tsars & dictators. His efforts to expose corruption took him all over the nati ...more
Paperback, California Legacy Book, 884 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Heyday (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John ZelaznyIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteAll the President's Men by Carl BernsteinWe Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip Gourevitch
Best Books by Journalists
53rd out of 96 books — 43 voters
Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob DylanKafka Was the Rage by Anatole BroyardHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergThe Mayor of MacDougal Street by Dave Van RonkMurdered by Capitalism by John Ross
Greenwich Village
58th out of 67 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Connie
Apr 30, 2013 Connie marked it as to-read
Mentioned in Marilyn Monroe's autobiography.
The first book she had read that told the truth about people and life.
Jon Boorstin
Feb 25, 2014 Jon Boorstin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-york
This book brings to life New York City when it was defining itself. Cities, like most things, are most interesting when they are on the way up, and Steffens lived New York's Salad days, and brings them vividly to life. Life was larger than life then.
Thomas
Jan 20, 2008 Thomas rated it really liked it
The news reporters would get bored, get drunk, sit on the fire escape and throw grapefruit at passersby. Love it.
loafingcactus
It astonishes me that we have all heard of De Tocqueville, Alexis yet Lincoln Steffens remains in comparative obscurity. I would never have read this book were it not some off hand recommendation I read somewhere that I don't even remember.

What you can say of both de Tocqueville and Steffens is this: there is nothing a person can say about American politics which each of them did not already say in his own way.

Steffens obscurity is probably related to the fact that his observations do not fit an
John
Mar 15, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of this man before reading this book. It seems that all books written by former Editors of any kind are very good. This was a wonderfully interesting view of the united states at the turn of the century and just like all great autobiographies , it had in it little about the author himself. He did spend some time on his youth which for me is usually a bore but his was very interesting
Lauren
Jun 01, 2011 Lauren added it
Studying Abroad//Journalism on Wall Street//"Muckraking" crime

I liked Steffens for his writing style -- simple, straight forward -- and his perceptiveness. This book is full of the kind of stories that make the author seem wise beyond his years, but they really happened, and they're well written.
Dondugdale
Oct 24, 2010 Dondugdale is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Historically interesting, especially if you're into the history of journalism or U.S. history around 1890-1920. The first third of the book is the best written.
Parker Malatesta
Parker Malatesta marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Stephen Frantz
Stephen Frantz marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Vic Bulzacchelli
Vic Bulzacchelli marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Kelly Nalls
Kelly Nalls marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Josephine Bien
Josephine Bien marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ivy
Ivy rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Zsj
Zsj marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
brett johnson
brett johnson is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Meleah
Meleah added it
Jan 24, 2016
Jaime
Jaime added it
Jan 10, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Steffens was born April 6, 1866, in San Francisco. He grew up in a wealthy family and attended a military academy. He studied in France and Germany following graduation from the University of California.
Steffens began his career as a journalist at the New York Evening Post . He later became an editor of McClure's magazine, where he became part of a celebrated muckraking trio with Ida Tarbell an
More about Lincoln Steffens...

The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens (3 books)
  • The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens, Vol 1
  • The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens, Vol 2

“An educated mind is nothing but the God-given mind of a child after his parents’ and his grandparents’ generation have got through molding it. We can’t help teaching you; you will ask that of us; but we are prone to teach you what we know, and I am going, now and again, to warn you:

Remember we really don’t know anything. Keep your baby eyes (which are the eyes of genius) on what we don’t know. That is your playground, bare and graveled, safe and unbreakable.”
6 likes