Start by marking “Batman: Death and the City” as Want to Read:
Batman: Death and the City

Batman: Death and the City (Batman)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  918 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In this collection of stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #827-834, Batman lives up to his reputation as the World's Greatest Detective as he takes on such evildoers as the Ventriloquist, Scarface, Vox, Harley Quinn, the Terrible Trio and more!
Published November 7th 2007 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Sesana
Dec 02, 2011 Sesana rated it really liked it
Don't go in looking for an overarching story arc. There isn't one, and there doesn't need to be. It's simply a collection of really good Batman stories, written mostly but not entirely by Paul Dini. There's the introduction of a new Ventriloquist, a continuation of the reformed Riddler arc, a newly reformed Harley Quinn, a team-up with Zatanna, and even a story with the Terrible Trio (those guys in the animal masks). Yes, they're all one or two issue stories, but they're solid and very enjoyable ...more
Chris
Sep 25, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't notice Death And The City on the shelf in my local library. Battered and worn, the book had fallen out of its "protective" plastic cover and disappeared behind Catwoman: Death Of The Family (like i'd take that out again). However, once I picked the book up it caught my attention for the contents inside, rather than its poorly-maintained exterior. As they say, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Written by Paul Dini, with worthwhile fill-in tales from Stuart Moore and Royal McGraw, D
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
A really good taste of Batman with lots of delicious cameos. I squeed because three of my favorite Batman-related female characters are in this. I won't tell you which ones, but if you follow my DC Comics reading, you could probably guess. The artwork was beautiful and these were legitimate detective/mystery stories. I enjoyed each one of them. Nothing too high brow or confusing. Just plain good storytelling and artwork. Glad my library had this!
Blindzider
Jul 03, 2015 Blindzider rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I bumped this up from 3 to 4 stars, because I was actually surprised by one of the stories here and that doesn't happen to often.

This time around 5 of the 8 stories are by Dini, and this time some of the stories are related which helps with the payoff. There's also a story featuring Zatanna that references Identity Crisis, letting you know just when in time this story takes place. It's such a small moment between the two but if you know what happened in IC, it has a big meaning.

Again, just som
Panos
Aug 10, 2011 Panos rated it really liked it
BATMAN:DEATH AND THE CITY (4/5)

A new collection of Detective Comics, compiling issues 827-834 and featuring writers Paul Dini, Stuart Moore and Royal McGraw is out and serves as sequel of sorts to BATMAN:DETECTIVE. The majority of its stories continue the several plot threads of its unofficial prequel.

In issues #827 and #831, Dini adds the infamous Ventriloquist to his cast of villains. (Un)fortunately this one hasn’t gone straight like the Riddler and the Penguin and seems willing to make up fo
Sam Quixote
Jan 28, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories about the Batman, featuring a return of Scarface, the death of an old friend, a politically motivated terrorist intent on bringing down the Wayne building through C4 explosives, a Harley Quinn escapade, and Zatanna joins Batman to hunt down a rogue magician with a dark secret.

Some of the stories are ok like "Siege" which is more involving as it's longer than one issue and features Bruce Wayne unable to change into Batman so has to rely on Tim Drake as Robin
Bader Al Shirawi
May 18, 2015 Bader Al Shirawi rated it really liked it
Death and the city consists of 5 Batman stories.

The first three stories were okay but forgettable.I really loved the last two, so this review will basically be talking about the two stories that I loved. I'll try not to spoil. TRY.

The fourth story is about Harley Quinn,Scarface and the Ventriloquist, well, Batman is there obviously but the story mostly focuses on Harley and Ventrilquist's relationship which I had no idea of, also what's really interesting is seeing how Batman treated Harley at
Mikhail
Feb 12, 2009 Mikhail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Many people have complained that these stories are of the one-and-done fashion, but that's partly why I love the two Dini collections as well as the rest of his run--including Heart of Hush, which was a five-issue arc and far superior to the overrated RIP debacle handled by Morrison. What I found most interesting about these two trades was, despite the one-and-done format, there were countless amounts of entertaining threads running through the whole Dini run such as The Riddler going straight, ...more
M
Dec 05, 2015 M rated it liked it
Paul Dini brings his acclaimed writing chops from the animated Batman to the comics version in this collection of tales. The opening tale returns Scarface to the fore, paring him with a new female Ventriloquist. The second story teams the reformed Riddler with Batman as they separately investigate the murder of an old acquaintance of Bruce Wayne. Tim Drake dons his Robin costume to prevent a terrorist attack on Wayne Tower, proving his worth a a hero and a Robin. After being denied parole, Harle ...more
Cristhian
Feb 03, 2015 Cristhian rated it really liked it
Death and the City recopila una serie de números (8) de Detective Comics (pre New 52, DETECTIVE COMICS #827-834) que incluyen 6 historias autoconclusivas. Mi favorita es la que incluye al Terrible Trio, siempre me han parecido unos de los personajes de la galería de villanos más entretenidos que tiene Batman.

Los otros que aparecen son:
Joker
Harley Queen
E. Nigma (en su etapa de detective reformado, no como The Riddler)
Vox
Ventriloquist (la segunda, tercera, cuarta versión de...? Perdí la cuenta en
Matt
Nov 20, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
Well-written detective stories.
Rahuel
Apr 01, 2016 Rahuel rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable collection of separate stories featuring the Dark Knight. While stories featuring the Caped Crusader tend to focus mainly on villains, 'Death and the City' features a great balance between Bruce and his more personal involvement with the events in each story.

Would definitely recommend!
Ming Siu
Jun 14, 2015 Ming Siu rated it liked it
When Dini's doing the writing, the standalone shorts pick up on threads he established prior to these, and work together to produce an enjoyable series of inter-connected tales. When he's not (in slightly under half of these)... they feel like pure filler. Sigh.
Miss December
Sep 27, 2015 Miss December rated it really liked it
Anything Paul Dini writes is an automatic win. This one isn't as good as the previous Batman Detective compilation, but it's definitely worth the read. The artwork is just as great as the first one, too.
Star
Nov 18, 2008 Star rated it really liked it
Like the previous book, Detective, this is another book full of brilliant stories by Paul Dini.

Again, it's the fill in stories that are the weakest, and again, it doesn't help that the art style is so different, especially in the two part 'Siege'.

Once more, there is another team up with The Riddler, which is one of the best stories, as is the Harley Quinn story. The last two stories, the two part 'Trust' focuses on Batman and Zatanna's relationship, and neatly ties together several hinted plots
Dee
May 03, 2014 Dee rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This was an okay comic. It was enjoyable, but the stories were short and probably could've been extended.
The best one was the last one...
Hannah Givens
Feb 07, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
A parade of separate stories and villains - it gives a fun kind of impression of "an average week" for Batman.
Sophie
May 05, 2010 Sophie rated it liked it
A 3.5 book. I enjoyed most of these stories - it was nice to see Batman working as a detective, with rather a lot of Bruce Wayne moments. Especially because Batman seems more sensible here and less, well, like a dick than in other stories I've been reading recently.

I also liked the semi-reformed versions of the Riddler and Harley Quinn here. What I didn't like at all was the Bruce/Zatanna thing - this pairing still baffles me. It seems very contrived, and while I like Zatanna, it makes me wishin
J.M. Hushour
Oct 14, 2013 J.M. Hushour rated it liked it
"Death and the City" is an uneven hodge-podge of mostly unrelated stories collected together under one title I guess to secure a solid run of Detective Comics stuff. Crammed here are good bits such as the return of Scarface with a mysterious blonde bombshell Ventriloquist, Harley Quinn trying to rehabilitate herself, and Batsy and Zatanna (sporting the greatest superhero costume ever) tangling with the Joker. The rest of the stories here are ho-hum. Not bad, just nothing terribly necessary unles ...more
Brad
Feb 14, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, dc
Paul Dini's run of Batman stories in Detective Comics focuses heavily on the Detective in the title, and with great results. Each issue (or two-issue arc) is a nice, self-contained story with Batman triumphing over evildoers. There are some great villains, including a new Scarface that makes the toy doll much more malicious. And the two-part team up with Zatanna has a great surprise villain as well as nice character interaction in the wake of Identity Crisis.
Angela
Dec 01, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
Some very good short stories included in this volume. It introduces a new villain with an old twist, and has some good detective yarns. My favourite was the teaming up with Zatanna, the first such working together since Batman found out what she did. Some very good character moments there. A good read.
Travis
Apr 14, 2011 Travis rated it it was amazing
I love these Paul Dini short stories! They are just freaking incredible. The Harley story, scarface and the new ventriloquist, it's all great. A nice appearance by the terrible trio as well! And a Zatanna sighting? Huzzah! Great work and artistry overall, what a great set of stories.
Steve
Nov 27, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Paul Dini is on fire. His newest collection of stories has a few whodunit mysteries, and a few interesting team-ups.

He wraps things up with a nice Zatanna/Batman story that clears the air between them after what happened in Identity Crisis.

Another good collection of Batman stories.
Noah Soudrette
Feb 12, 2008 Noah Soudrette rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another solid collection of Batman comics from Dini and friends. I love that Dini picks up little plot points from past issues and revisits them down the line. We get another Riddler/Batman team up, two stories of the new Scarface, a Harley Quinn story and a good Joker performance. Solid.
Kathleen
Feb 10, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
This is a great collection of single issues. Including a brand new dummy for Scarface, an awesome short with Harley Quinn, Tim defusing a bomb molded to his own body, and a beautiful Zatanna team up story featuring the Joker the way he's meant to be.
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 23, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A little better than the previous volume. There's again a standout ("Kind of Like family"). Also, a couple of two-parters give Dini the opportunity to tell more fulfilling stories.
Michael
Oct 10, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great collection by Paul Dini. I wish he was able to write Batman R.I.P., not to take away from Grant Morrison. It's just that Dini gets Batman even more so.
BMK
Jul 06, 2011 BMK rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Batman fans
Some good stories and art, but they are just too short. Just as you get into it, the story has to wrap up, even in the 2-parters. Damn my long attention span.
T.M. Carper
Oct 29, 2011 T.M. Carper rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories - Detective Comics #827 - 834. There's Scarface, the Riddler, Robin, Zatanna, and a good twist.
  • Batman: War Games, Act 3: Endgame
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 3
  • Batman: As the Crow Flies (Batman Beyond)
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 1
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 7: The Search for Kryptonite
  • Batman: Death Mask
  • Red Robin, Volume 2: Collision
61935
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed scr ...more
More about Paul Dini...

Batman (1 - 10 of 366 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1