Start by marking “Charlotte Street” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,951 Ratings  ·  367 Reviews
It all starts with a girl . . . because yes, there’s always a girl.

Jason Priestley (not that one) has just seen her. They shared an incredible, brief, fleeting moment of deep possibility, somewhere halfway down Charlotte Street.

And then, just like that, she was gone—accidentally leaving him holding her old-fashioned disposable camera, chock full of undeveloped photos.

And n
Published June 18th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte Street

Alec
Jan 19, 2013 Alec rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Street, by Danny Wallace, was the next book in a couple of my ongoing literary themes. For one, it was the most recent of the "books I picked out randomly from a bookstore" subset -- my most cherished pastime. Second, as it turns out, this was but another in a long line of "angsty twentysomething male charmingly tries to put his life together" novels which I hold so dear. That series, of course, contains such gems as Twentysomething (creatively titled), Mammals: A Novel, The Beautiful ...more
Reader, I Read It
Sometimes a book comes along where a reviewer has little else to say apart from those three magic words….just read it.

For Charlotte Street, Wallace’s debut novel, is one of those books which will hold universal appeal, cause enough embarrassment laughing out loud on your public transport of choice and will ultimately tug at the heart strings.

Jason Priestley accidentally is left holding a disposable camera belonging to a girl he helps, with bags as she clambers into a taxi, on Charlotte Street. W
Vikki VanSickle
This book was a novel version of a romantic comedy, but one of the good British ones, with a dry-witted, sheepish, bumbling narrator and an awesome ensemble cast (think Notting Hill). Danny Wallace is a funny writer, and though Jason (the narrator) makes oafish mistakes and can be a bit of a drunken lout, he is never mean-spirited and ultimately his desire to reinvent himself and do right is quite winning. Think of him as a male version of Bridget Jones as played by Mark Ruffalo with a British a ...more
Donna
Jul 07, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I read this book when the Melbourne winter decided to grace us with two windless and sunshiney days, all synched up with the weekend. Meanwhile I was lying in bed with a head cold.

I discovered this book on the 'Highly Recommended' shelf at my library and who doesn't like 'a heartwarming everyday tale of boy stalks girl'?

A few chapters in, I was reminded of Nick Horby's High Fidelity, but with fewer insights. I really couldn't get into this book. Blame my grumpiness or the fact that J
Thais
Oct 09, 2012 Thais rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No Danny, no, non ci siamo, mi dispiace. Yes Man mi era piaciuto, quando ho visto questo nuovo libro non mi attiravano né titolo né copertina ma si sa, non si possono giudicare così i romanzi, e del resto a volte si ha bisogno di leggere qualcosa di leggero e coinvolgente. Così, quando amazon l'ha messo in offerta kindle a 1,99, non ci ho pensato su troppo e l'ho preso.
Una delusione totale. Lento, noioso, non succede praticamente nulla. La fantomatica Ragazza è solo un pretesto per far sfogare l
Aimee
Oct 08, 2012 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an anglophile at heart so I jumped at the chance to read this book and I am so glad that I did. Danny Wallace has written a book that is filled with British humor, quirky characters, and an interesting story that kept me reading.

There were so many things I loved about this book. The idea of Jason helping this stranger, being attracted to her, and then finding he still has a connection to her through a disposable camera was brilliant. It was a great fun to read about Jason and his best frie
Hester Robinson-spoon
Disappointingly boring
Natalie E. Ramm
Jason Priestly (not the one from that sitcom that I’m too young to remember) is in a rough spot. He and his girlfriend have recently broken up for reasons unknown; he’s living with his socially challenged friend Dev in an apartment Dev’s dad owns; he has recently quit teaching to write mostly negative reviews for a free paper that no one reads; and has generally lost his luster. But when he sees this woman drop her bags on Charlotte Street he has an urge to help her. As he picks up her bags she ...more
Laura Armstrong
I think if I hadn't been reading this for a book club I may have struggled to finish. Wallace took far to long to get things going, 'things' got going 250 or so pages in, - by this point I worry the author may have lost quite a few readers...There were some amusing touches along the way and I quite liked the premise but I'm not sure this is as top notch as the author would hope it to be.
Michelle
Aug 22, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

The character is speaking to the reader, like he would a friend. He tells you the details of his story, but slowly and cautiously at first like you really would do with someone you were just getting to know. He wants you to like him but he also tells you the true story.

Jason's life is in a bit of a rut and he realizes that it's mostly his fault.
One day, just like any other, he is walking down the street and he shares a moment (really more like a few seconds) with a stranger. H
Thais Morimoto (tatakizi)
Charlotte Street is very funny and cute at the same time.
As soon as you enter the story, the reading flows very well.
I thought the story could have been reduced a little. I loved the details that the author put in the book, but sometimes I felt I would never finish reading.
Jason is a realistic character. Everything that happened in his life, could be happening with the person next to you. Dev is my favorite character. He is a great friend and he is so funny!
I'd say to pick up this book you need
Ryan Sweeney
Oct 23, 2012 Ryan Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danny Wallace, is better known for his non-fiction books. In fact, Danny Wallace wrote one of my favorite books of all time... actually... that's not quite right, Danny Wallace wrote half of one of my favorite books of all time with his then-flatmate Dave Gorman. In case you're interested that book was called 'Are You Dave Gorman' and it chronicled a drunken bet between Dave and Danny which stated that Dave would never be able to find 54 people called Dave Gorman. Possibly the funniest book I've ...more
Christine Blachford
I’ve been a fan of Danny Wallace books in the past, those true life adventures that he and others (Dave Gorman) go on. The humour works very well in those because it’s honest, open and you can imagine that they really are thinking that. This book is in the same vein, only it’s a fictional adventure instead. That being the case, some of the humour feels a little bit shoe-horned in, almost like it’s trying too hard.

It also took quite a long time to get going, it felt like we were never going to ge
Ellie
Apr 30, 2012 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
There was a girl struggling with the door of a cab and her packages. And I don't know why, but I asked if I could help. And she smiled at me. This incredible smile. And suddenly I felt all manly and confident, like a handyman who knows just which nail to buy, and now I'm holding some of her bags, and she's saying "thank you" and then...there's that moment. And it felt like a beginning. But the cabbie was impatient and I suppose we were just too British to say anything else...

Jason Priestly (no,
Ashleigh Buchanan
I liked this book, and it was a quick read, but I must say I was kind of disappointed. Saw it on one of the fabulous Carrie Fletcher's book videos and it sounded wonderful (I usually really enjoy any book set in London). I expected a cute, witty, funny story about a guy's journey to track down a girl he had a chance meeting with. Charlotte Street ended up being a lot more than that, with multiple subplots (not all of which I enjoyed.) I rarely read contemporary, and the gritty, sometimes sad, re ...more
Spencer Bowden
First off, this is my first review on Goodreads. Hopefully the first of many. So, to the book.

I generally enjoy this type of easy read fiction. This book is ok. I wouldn't read it again, but it didn't feel like a chore to read.

The good points: pretty easy plot. A quick read. I genuinely laughed out loud about four times; there is some good humour in this book, in places.

The bad points: several typos (maybe expect one in 80,000+ words, but I found at least five). I didn't like all of the ongoing
Sasche
Oct 12, 2014 Sasche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was flying on an airplane when I began reading this book. Seated next to me was an older business man perhaps in his fifties. "Jason Priestley is eating soup." I laughed out loud. Perhaps a little louder than necessary, but it's not like I was trying to be disruptive.

How many times have we written the most mundane things on social media? "Sarah is now replacing the toilet paper roll." I admit that I've written that on Facebook, though I can't explain why. Reading that line about Jason Priestle
Manja
Feb 09, 2014 Manja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kurzbeschreibung:
Und es hat klick gemacht
Gibt es Liebe auf den ersten Blick? Jason glaubt nicht daran. Ganz im Gegenteil: Seit ihn seine letzte Freundin verlassen hat, sieht er in Sachen Liebe schwarz. Bis er eines Tages einer jungen Frau beim Einsteigen in ein Taxi hilft. Sie schaut ihn an, und bei Jason macht es klick. Doch bevor er auch nur ein Wort herausbringt, ist das Taxi weg. Zurück bleibt eine Einwegkamera mit zwölf Fotos. Jason lässt die Bilder entwickeln und macht sich mithilfe seines
Angi
Oct 22, 2012 Angi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this via Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!

I have tried and tried to make a dent in this book. Maybe I'm just too American because the "dry wit" is apparently too dry for me.

I kept wanting the story to change direction and just start following a different character altogether. The main character is boring. He's an observer, only he doesn't make very exciting observations.

It just wasn't for me. Despite my best efforts, I only made it about a quarter of the way into the book.
Rachel
Sep 24, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2015
Charlotte Street is a British romantic comedy along the same lines as a Nick Hornby novel. Jason Priestly (not that Jason Priestly) has recently quit his job as a school teacher to become a journalist. He’s ended up writing reviews for a free paper that’s handed out at the train station – not exactly where he wants to be. If that’s not disappointing enough, he finds out through Facebook that his recently ex-girlfriend is engaged.

One day, he sees a girl on the street struggling with her packages
Heather H
Jun 11, 2014 Heather H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Easy holiday read. 2 days of summer sun an you're cheered and happy to be British
Paul
May 07, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable and entertaining novel but it lacked the usual humour behind Danny Wallace’s other exciting works. The blurb on the back cover promises an exciting adventure, which vanishes as soon as you jump into the first chapter. Gone is the positivity and the childish ponderings; instead we are left with an imprint of a hollow character faced with depression. Yes, there’s still the mission of finding the one girl in London to follow through with, but along the way we experience an ant ...more
Godzilla
I've enjoyed Danny Wallace and Dave Gorman's previous efforts, so when looking for my second choice in Waterstones, to get it half price, and get over the 10 threshold for my next reward stamp, this one offered a warm solace.
Plus the yellow cover appealed, I don't have enough yellow on my bookcases, so it helped redress that balance slightly.
It's a quirky tale (the yellow, gaudy cover warns of that) that uses a disposable camera as a major plot device. Not many books can claim that.
A modern love
Ben
Apr 10, 2015 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny Wallace (Author)

Danny Wallace's latest epic is a tale of love, of potential, of chance meetings, friendships, and a camera with an undeveloped film in it, the contents of which could change his life, substantially for the better. Jason Priestly (not that one) gave up a steady job as a teacher, to become a writer for a small London magazine, the type that a small, but loyal audience read.

Wallace's trademark wry humour, eye for a plot and believably flawed characters make thi
Nick Davies
I did enjoy this quite a lot, but I think I was left disappointed because my expectations (having enjoyed many of Danny Wallace's humourous non-fiction titles) were pretty high, and they were encouraged by a frequently insightful and frequently laugh-out-loud first half of the book. The final third, and the denouement especially, left me feeling 'that didn't quite work' - I'm not sure whether this was because Wallace put more sentiment and less humour in the ending chapters of his story, or whet ...more
Afifah Zulkefli
May 09, 2015 Afifah Zulkefli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Street, to me is a book that can be both interesting and disappointing depends on the readers. I get it now why this book has gotten mixed reviews from readers. Personally, I find this story interesting as I got more than what I expected out of it. I picked it up knowing it is about a guy named Jason who is in pursuit of a girl that he briefly, really briefly met. The girl who has accidentally left a disposable camera in Jason's hand. Jason (with his best mate, Dev) developed the photo ...more
Andrea Ellis
Jun 02, 2012 Andrea Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy-drama
A best friend of mine bought this for me and I read it in two days!! As with Danny's comedy-docu bks this was funny and gripping n I could completely picture the characters and their habitats. Very David Nicholls esque of one day fame but just better and I can never run out out of great things to say about Mr Wallaces writing style-loved it. Charlotte st is right up my street!!!
Mugren Al-Ohaly
Aug 14, 2012 Mugren Al-Ohaly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I had lost hope in British writers. Danny Wallace is different though. I loved this book. I'm a hopeless romantic and a sucker for a good plot. This book had both. And the way he writes makes you want to keep writing. I never thought a cliffhanger would be possible in the middle of a story, but Wallace does it time and time again. Brilliant.
Claire
Sep 02, 2014 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Yes Man. Then I started this and wanted to cry because it didn't have the same funny, easy, graceful style. If it hadn't been a book club book I would have given up; but I'm so glad I didn't. Half way through it slipped back into the funny, laugh out loud style I had expected and I really enjoyed it. Heartwarming and lovely.
Nicky Robinson
May 27, 2013 Nicky Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Danny Wallace, and I love this book! It differs from his other books that I've read as it is fiction and not a true account of something that's happened to him. But as always, he drew me in to the story line, intrigued me, made me laugh, and captured moments of late 20s/early 30s life in London perfectly.
  • Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: Whatever the Game — Dave Takes on All Comers!
  • Start the Car: The World According to Bumble
  • I Love The 80s
  • The Journals of Kara and Jason
  • The Life of Lee. by Lee Evans
  • Bob: No Ordinary Cat
  • Un giorno perfetto per innamorarsi
  • Caliente
  • Sad Desk Salad
  • Love and Chaos (Brooklyn Girls, #2)
  • Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend
  • Married By Christmas
  • Two Versions of the Same Song (Aintree Tales #2)
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper
More about Danny Wallace...

“I had it all planned. Or, not planned exactly, but I'd planned to make plans. Plans were very much part of my plan.” 14 likes
“What a terrible thing, I thought, to let a moment go.” 11 likes