Start by marking “More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley, #1)” as Want to Read:
More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley, #1)

More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley #1)

As an ambitious young doctor with a penchant for research, Luke Bradford never wanted to set up practice in a remote rural town. But to pay back his student loans and to fulfill a promise from his past, he heads for Watervalley, Tennessee–and immediately stumbles into one disaster after another. He expects the people of Watervalley to be simple, but finds his relationships ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about More Things In Heaven and Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Things In Heaven and Earth

Tim Connelly
Jul 14, 2013 Tim Connelly rated it it was amazing
What a lovely, loving book. Wonderfully drawn characters woven through a story told in the narrator's distinctive, self-effacing voice. It unfolds more than simply being told, so we feel as if we are witnessing it with the narrator. His discovery is our discovery. Those of us who had a Watervalley in our past will feel profoundly homesick for the cadence and care and closeness of small town life; those of you who did not, well, this is what you have missed.
Donna Meredith
Jul 31, 2013 Donna Meredith rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to snag an advanced readers copy of this novel and though I read a lot (A LOT!!!) this is one of the best books I've read in years. I loved it. It's the book to buy for your mom and best friend for Christmas. Laugh-out-loud funny in some scenes and make-you-ache scenes for balance and heartwarming in the end. Can't say enough about what a wonderful read this is. And no, I'm not related to the author and don't know him in any way.
Jennie
Jun 29, 2013 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Loved the book!! It was an easy read based on a small town full of unique characters with entertaining quirks. I can't wait to read what lies ahead for Watervalley.
OpenBookSociety.com
Oct 07, 2013 OpenBookSociety.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacki

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Jacki

All I can say about this book and the author is “WOW!”. It is so refreshing to read a story that is wholesome and beautiful. From the first few pages I felt a sense of innocence and great story telling. The book is wholesome and I cannot wait to read the next in his series.

The opening of the book introduces the lead character, Luke Bradford, as he handles his first emergency in his career as the “only doctor in Watervall
Amy Pratt
Jul 08, 2013 Amy Pratt rated it it was amazing
This is a great "feel good" book. It had me hooked after the first chapter. The writing style made me feel like I was watching a movie and the humor in it is great. The character development and story line have me very excited about the future of the main character, Luke Bradford. It's a great read and I highly recommend it!
Catherine Stickann
I won this book on Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
A good novel needs to have certain elements to warrant a 5 star rating.
1. I look for a story that engages me, preferably from that very first page.
2. The setting needs to be described in a way that I can envision.
3. Characters should have purpose and be developed enough for me to be invested in them.
4. The book must make me want to return to it.
I have read many books that meet my five stare criteria, but few let me know they are five star fr
Richard Stickann
Jan 21, 2014 Richard Stickann rated it really liked it
Jeff High is a nurse and has a degree in literature, a great combination for a person writing a book about someone in the medical profession. He uses his background admirably in writing More Things In Heaven and Earth. I began the book with trepidation, wary that the first person style would turn me away soon after I began. I have read other writers who have had difficulty writing in first person, which is the reason for my subsequent wariness. However, High is quite successful using first perso ...more
Joyce
Aug 01, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Based on a comparison between this book and the Mitford books (my all-time favorites), I eagerly ordered this book and then devoured it in a couple of days. I loved the character development, and I look forward to further relationships between Luke and the people of Watervalley. I did not know that this town exists, but my Columbia, Tennessee, friends assure me it does. I will be recommending Jeff High's stories to my book club and all my friends!
Roberta
Aug 27, 2013 Roberta rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the 'Uncorrected Proofs for Limited Distribution' paperback of this book - final version due out in Oct. 2013. I normally read only suspense, drama, & similar genres, but this book totally took me for a loop - and a pleasant one at that.

I can't remember ever enjoying a book so thoroughly. The mixed emotions of laughter & sadness combined to form an excellent tale of small-town America. If anyone currently living in a large city was considering moving to a small ru
Amy
Feb 10, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it
Author Jeff High has created a great town setting in Watervalley. Young doctor Luke Bradford accepts a job in this rural town in part to pay off his student loans. He has never wanted to be a permanent fixture in small town life, and he isn't sure how long he will stay in Watervalley, especially after he gets off to a rocky start. Jeff High populates his town with interesting characters. I particularly liked Dr. Bradford's housekeeper, Connie Thompson. This isn't a spoiler since it is on the bac ...more
Teresa
Jul 08, 2013 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-jeff
More Things In Heaven and Earth: A Novel of Watervalley is the first in a new series by up and coming writer Jeff High. Set in a small town in Tennessee, the story is an inspiring and uplifting read that will have you laughing one moment and moved to tears the next.

This contemporary novel follows a newly minted doctor, Luke Bradford, on his first assignment far from the big city university where he graduated at the top of his class. More interested in research than actual fieldwork, Luke relucta
Judi
Jul 14, 2015 Judi rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book which is the first in a series called Watervalley. It takes place in Tennessee in this small town that doesn't have a doctor. Luke Bradford has just graduated from Medical school and as a way of paying off his sizable debt has agreed to go to a remote small town called Watervalley. He will be their only doctor. He felt like he would be a permanent visitor. He slowly comes to know the people of the town as everyone comes to visit the doctor at his office. The character I enjoy ...more
Melissa C
Jul 20, 2013 Melissa C rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely southern novel that left me wanting for more. The presence of history, humor, love, the classics and small-town mystery and charm provides ample depth and dimension that made this book difficult to put down.

I enjoyed following the ups and downs of the protagonist as he battled with decisions of right vs. wrong, heart vs. mind. We all have internal struggles of making appropriate choices in life that will deem us successful in others eyes, when, in truth, we must only succeed fo
Melba
May 02, 2014 Melba rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book lovers
Recommended to Melba by: Jim & Rose Counts
This book was so refreshing, and it was a wonderful time in Watervalley. The characters come alive in this book, and each one is an integral part of the story. You can take something from each character and apply it to life in general, and I believe you will see yourself, family and/or friends in each character. The story is one of which I truly enjoyed, and I love to read of small town life in general - the nuances of relationships & life exude courage, faith, love & strength throughout ...more
Judie Dooley
Jul 31, 2013 Judie Dooley rated it it was amazing
A great read . A young Dr comes to a clinic in Tenn to care for the people and earn money to pay off his student loans. . He would rather be in a big city working in research. After the first few days of embarrasment and near disasters, he finally settles in but still feels like an outsider. I don't want to tell the whole story, but lets say there are many surprises. Some I guessed, but others that were not. .The author makes you wan to keep reading. The many characters are real and very believa ...more
Katelin
3.5 stars.

I won this book as a giveaway from Goodreads. I loved how this novel starts out with a prelude and ends with a postlude. It made it seem to flow more.

I really liked the storyline of this book. I’m looking forward to reading the other books in the series. A very heartwarming story about a doctor who’s just graduated med school, moves to take a position in a very small town in Tennessee. He runs into problems, from not fitting in, to people dying.

The only thing I didn’t like about this
Connie Stiger
Oct 23, 2013 Connie Stiger rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is full of depth and personal insight into life, people, and relationships in small town USA, and a tender reminder that we all really want and need the same things, acceptance, love, and something meaningful to do with our lives. It is a refreshing and thoughtful journey to a place hard to find in this crazy world. Can I move to Watervalley? Can't wait for the next in the series!
Joan
Sep 24, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It is a good story about a new doctor in a small southern town. While Luke Bradford, MD, is a good main character, it's all the other people in the town that make the novel great. Each one of then has their quirks and Luke ends up dealing with them. I am glad this is only the first in a series because I am not ready to be done with Watervalley, Tennessee.
You can read my entire review at http://bit.ly/1MCC9Oy.
Christine
Jul 27, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about a new doctor establishing himself in a small town in TN. It captured my attention right away, had good character development, and very descriptive writing. I could easily visualize the setting and the characters in my mind's eye. I wasn't expecting to like the book because it was very different from what I usually read and was going to return it to the library unread. What a huge mistake that would have been!
Mpolk
Nov 03, 2013 Mpolk rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story of rural life in a small, Tennessee town! This book has great characters and leaves you feeling as if you know them. I am looking forward to the next one. The author, Jeff High, is a friend of mine, and I grew up very near the real town of "Water Valley". All of that aside, I recommend this book. Great first novel, Jeff!
Debbie
Aug 12, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I won this book through Goodreads. This story of young doctor, Luke Bradford, who sets up his first practice in Watervalley, a small Tennessee town, had me smiling from beginning to end. I loved the relationship between him and his housekeeper, Connie. Connie made me laugh :)

I found this book to be delightful, and am very glad I had the pleasure to read it. I highly recommend it!
Rachel Robbins
Jan 10, 2015 Rachel Robbins rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book! It's a sweet, lovely story about a man who isn't sure about his choices. Fitting into a new town; not necessarily doing what he thought he'd be doing. I didn't want it to end. If you're a Mitford fan, you'll definitely love this book!
Chris Conley
Mar 20, 2014 Chris Conley rated it it was amazing
This first in a new series certainly opens doors into Watervalley, TN and makes me want to go through every one of them. I am really looking forward to more stories about the town, Dr. Bradford, Christine, Connie and on and on and on. I love this book.
Adam Southern
Aug 21, 2014 Adam Southern rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! The first in a series, actually. The book is set in the fictional town of Watervalley, Tennessee. The 2nd in the series will be coming out very soon.

Watch my interview with the author here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Vpx...
Barbara
May 06, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
I reallly enjoyed listening to this book--such a nice story; loved the characters in this book. I see there is a second book about Dr Luke Bradford and will definitely put it on my to read list.
Roben
Dec 02, 2013 Roben rated it it was amazing
Let's see….well developed characters, strong storyline that captures the ultimate best in community, food for thought long after the book is finished….I'd say that's the ticket.
Stephanie Sudano
Nov 15, 2014 Stephanie Sudano rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Thanks to mom for the loan.
Angie Parker
Oct 17, 2014 Angie Parker rated it it was amazing
I loved the book - simple yet enthralling; can't wait for the next book in the series to hit the shelves!
Gina Woods
Jul 13, 2015 Gina Woods rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best written books I've read in a while. It was so good I read it twice. Can't wait to start the next one.
Sep 17, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A sweet story and love letter to small town life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Running with Cosmos Flowers: The Children of Hiroshima
  • I, Claudia: A Tale of Pontius Pilate
  • Hobbledehoy Boy
  • A List of Offences
  • Ladies in Low Places
  • Easter Island Sketchbook: An Artist's Journey to the Mysterious Land of Giant Stone Statues
  • Never Say Goodbye
  • A Dance in the Ashes
  • Dear Lucy
  • Unspoken
  • Blue Ridge, Black Heart
  • Prison Baby: A Memoir
  • 23 Degrees South: A Tropical Tale of Changing Whether...
  • Oh, Beautiful: An American Family in the 20th Century
  • The Opposite of Art
  • Empty Chairs: Selected Poems
  • A Nest of Sparrows
  • The Tattered Quilt  (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #2)
6519008
After growing up in rural Tennessee, Jeff High attained degrees in literature and nursing. He is a three time published winner, in poetry and fiction, of an annual writing contest held by Vanderbilt Medical Center. He lived in Nashville for many years, and throughout the country as a travel nurse, before returning to his original hometown, near where he now works as an operating room RN in cardiac ...more
More about Jeff High...

Watervalley (3 books)
  • Each Shining Hour (Watervalley, #2)
  • The Splendor of Ordinary Days (Watervalley, #3)

“My arrival in Watervalley had been so botched. But arrivals had never been a grand affair for me. Years earlier, when I had ventured fresh-faced into the new world of private school in Atlanta, neither I nor my classmates had looked upon my arrival with anticipation. It was a place of academic competition, clever banter, and high regard for social standing. I was a stranger, uncertain and turned inward, who had learned to sit in the back of the class and observe and assess those around me. In time I learned to adapt, to become part of the pack, to create an acceptable version of myself.” 0 likes