The Apple Pie That Papa Baked

The Apple Pie That Papa Baked

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  58 reviews
These are the apples, juicy and red,
that went in the pie,
warm and sweet,
that Papa baked...
for guess who!
Published July 24th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. RockwellFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia RawlinsonPumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper
Picture books about Fall
21st out of 50 books — 30 voters
Keep Love in Your Heart, Little One by Giles AndreaeOne Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskeyOwl Moon by Jane YolenGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyYou're All My Favorites by Sam McBratney
Great Father's Day books
24th out of 54 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Peter
When I was in first grade, (forty years ago!), I would borrow a Virginia Lee Burton book, Life Story, from my school library so often that the librarian gave me the book at the end of the school year. I still have that book.

So when my son and I were at our local library recently, this book immediately caught my eye. I at first thought it was a Virginia Lee Burton book that I had not heard of. Reading the blurb about the illustrator Jonathan Bean, I was not surprised to find that he was influenc...more
Julia
Wow! I got so excited when I saw this - it's like nothing else I've seen this year. As noted by the illustrator, Jonathan Bean, the style is influenced by Wanda G'ag, and Virginia Lee Burton. Yet it's so refreshing and original. Lovely design. And it's so exciting to see a book with classic three color illustrations. (Which feels like a bold move in the current picture book landscape full of Pinkaliciouses and Walter the Farting Dogses.) Maybe it's just the G'ag and Burton presence in my own chi...more
Betsy
Told in a cumulative format, a small girl discusses the various steps taken by her father to produce a pie. The first line is "This is the pie, warm and sweet, that Papa baked." The second line, "These are the apples, juicy and red, that went in the pie, warm and sweet, that Papa baked." And so on. As the story encompasses the tree that grew the apples, the roots the fed the tree, the rain that watered the roots, etc. we watch father and daughter pick the apples, make the pie, and attract the at...more
Treasa
Written in the style of the Mother Goose rhyme "The House that Jack Built," this book shows the reader everything that goes into the wonderful apple pie that papa bakes. Sun, rain, apples... it's all important. But who will eat this wonderful apple pie that papa bakes?

Texts that build up like this one always appeal to me (and seem to appeal to children, too), and this one is done very well. I especially like the end when an important lesson is learned by all.

I love the old-fashioned illustration...more
Kathryn
Follows along the lines of "The House that Jack Built" but instead we have a pioneer/farm girl explaining about the apple pie that her papa baked. While I'm not a big one for this sort of cumulative storytelling these days, I did love it as a kid! And Thompson chooses her words very well, creating a lovely and lyrical text. There's good insight here into how the processes of nature contribute to growing the food we eat. The illustrations have a charming, vintage feel although at times I wasn't a...more
Mary Beth
Vintage-looking pictures and a sweet story line that is fun to read out-loud. Rabbit asks for this book by name(well, he says "Pie!")
Amy Musser
This tale uses a cumulative narrative to tell the reader about the apple pie that Papa baked for his young daughter. First, we are presented with the pie, warm and sweet, and then the apples that went in the pie, and then the tree that grew the apples that went in the pie that Papa baked. The girl and her father harvest the apples, peel and core them, and finally share the pie with their animal friends on the farm. By the end of the book, the girl has explained how the sky, sun, clouds, and rain...more
Sherry Dale Rogers
Juicy red apples baked in a sweet and warm pie, sounds delicious...But who did papa bake that pie for?

I love the illustrations in this book. Bean captures the country time life in the perfect way. And this is his first book. Check him out at www.jonathanbean.com

Thompson knows how to tempt us with those deliciouse red apples. Join papa as he takes us on an adventure to see how apples are grown. But wait who did papa bake that sweet and warm pie for?...Me, you?

When you read this book look for the...more
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
The text is deftly done -- although the cumulative rhyme format has been done by many so there is little surprise here. The pages that tie the World with the Sun (This is the world, blooming with life, that spins with the sun, fiery and bright,) are most effective, as well as the images on these pages.) The artwork is folksy and old-fashioned. The sun with a face does not work for me, though. Especially when it's supposed to be FIERY and BRIGHT and the image shows a droopy-eyed, gentle and smili...more
Ashley Stone
This book goes through the process of growing apples. The narrator, a little girl, tells us exactly what her papa did when growing the apples and how nature helped aid the growth of the apples as well. I think this book would go great in a science lesson maybe. I know a lot of schools like to make applesauce as part of their lesson. I think this would be a good one to read during that time. I think this would be good being read to kindergarteners or for first graders to read on their own.
Shawn Thrasher
Thompson's poetry has the feel of an old nursery rhyme that's been handed down for generations. Paired with Jonathan Bean's illustrations, which have a 1940s flavor, cozily and comfortably reminiscent of Marcia Brown or Virginia Lee Burto, this is a delightful book. Sort of keeper, you may borrow it from the library or a friend, but is'a piece of art and deserves to be owned and cherished. And framed!
Paula
A wonderful picture book with a lot of repetition which can be done with a felt set for story time. The pictures are three colors and very well outlined

When a doting father decides to make an apple pie for his beloved daughter, an enjoyable day is had by all, including the hungry farm animals who hover nearby in the hopes of getting a slice of the pie.
Keeko
Charming from first to last. This book was on display at the library, and I wasn't sure if I wouldn't care for the style of the illustrations because I thought they might seem a little harsh, but they're so sweet and a great fit with the story. Everybody from the pie-baking Papa to the pig is happy, and the end of the story is a perfect topper.
Lisa
While I was reading this book, I kept thinking that this would make a GREAT flannelboard for story time. Anyways, it is a take on The House That Jack Built. What makes the book neat are the illustrations. Using 4 colors (black, tan, cream, and red) throughout the book added something special. Definitely near the top of my list so far.
Tricia
In the spirit of "The House that Jack Built", this book builds a story from the originating line of "This is the pie, warm and sweet, that Papa baked." This is a nice option for a fall readaloud...with unique illustrations of red, yellow-beige and black. Kids will enjoy chanting the repeating lines with the reader.
Melanie
This cumulative story is about a pie that a father bakes for his daughter. The story begins with a couple of pictures with no text. Then readers are introduced to the tree that bears the apples that were used to bake the pie. Everything from roots, water and rain are described as helping papa bake the pie.
Ellen
Apr 01, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All kids, 3 and up
There's a distinct possibility that you will appreciate this book more than your children do. It's reminiscent, in its folkiness and rounded horizons, of Virginia Lee Burton. The story, of course, and its familiar patterning is borrowed from "The House That Jack Built". Charming, gentle, and old-fashioned.
The Library Lady
I love the pictures, which are inspired by the Wanda Gag and Virginia Lee Burton books I loved as a kid. The text too, a "house that Jack built" style story, has an old fashioned feel to it. I'm not sure that this is going to work as well with contemporary kids, but it's delightful, and well worth reading.
Keegan
I thought this was fun. The language is a little bit confusing for a three-three-year-old. Still, I liked how it teaches about how things grow. We don't have any sort of garden, but I think it's important for kids to learn this, so I appreciate good stories to help my kids learn this.
Cassie
This is a children's book and even reading it as an adult I found it very entertaining. I love the rhythm of the words. I also really loved the illustrations. This is a book I definitely would want to own and share with my children.
Pam
How papa baked an apple pie for his daughter is told through the pattern of The House That Jack Built. Interesting illustrations give an old-time feel to the book (be sure to read how illustrations were created on the copyright page!).
Christy Stewart
Beautiful art; detailed and great use of just a few bland shades that make the book appear charmingly old fashioned.

I didn't appreciate the lude dedication in the begining, though.

"For Robert, who loves pie."

I bet he does.
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Librarian
P2Y enjoyed reading this story as it relates to patterns that they have been studying. The story uses repetition and build up in a way that makes it fun for the readers. Our students also loved the detailed pictures!
Allison
I love the old-fashioned three color illustrations that enhance this lively story. I also love that it's about a dad baking a pie for his daughter- yes, guys can bake! Very charming, and perfect for a Fall storytime.
Sandy Brehl
This current book harkens back to "This is the house that jack built" and retro illustrations ala Virginia Burton. Repetitive patterns and rhythmic language allows young listeners to chime in.
Edna
A nice rendition of "The House that Jack Built" describing how red juicy apples ended up in a pie baked by father. Only 3 colors are used for the wood-block style illustrations. Good read aloud book.
Danielle Desmarais
-Story about love and how her papa baked a pie.
-Clever, almost poetic language.
-Very catchy flow of the book.
-Fun illustrations, shares how the illustrator created them.

-1st Grade reading level.
Peggy
This is the blank that caught the blank that ran from the blank - what a rip off of something I've read before. Terribly boring - and the pictures don't make up for the missing words on pages. :(
Becky
May 02, 2008 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids age 3 and up
Shelves: children-and-ya
This cumulative story (think "The House that Jack Built") features charming, poetic language and bold black-and-red illustrations. A simple, yet artistic book perfect for ages 3-7.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wild Child
  • Leaves
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Ten Red Apples
  • An Awesome Book!
  • Mary Had a Little Lamp
  • Apple Farmer Annie
Little Quack Polar Bear Night The Christmas Magic Mouse's First Fall Leap Back Home to Me