Triplet

Triplet

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For one researcher, Triplet is a marvel promising both advanced technology and magic. But a world of sinister secrets lurks just below the surface . . .

Grad student Danae Panya’s dream assignment has been approved. She’ll study Triplet, the strange planetary system scarred by nuclear war and connected through portals. The most experienced Courier of Triplet, Ravagin, will...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Triplet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triplet

Jim
It was a fairly imaginative world (3 of them with gates between) & the story idea was fairly interesting, but somewhat contrived - the plot was pushed along in places. Something about it never really clicked with me, though. I read it, but doubt I'll do so again. I could put it down at any time with no regrets.

I think part of the problem was his characterization. He just didn't pull them off well. They were forced & used to push situations too much. The suspense just didn't ring true.
Caleb
Another older Timothy Zahn book I hadn't heard about. I quite enjoyed it. It felt simultaneously familiar and novel, in that it's set sometime-in-the-future-with-space-travel only the characters are thrust into situations where they don't get to use their technology. The main events happen on three worlds (hence the name, Triplet) which are an interesting study of contrasts -- one is a 'normal' human world, one has super-advanced technology but society is in a feudal state, and one has magic and...more
Jean-Luc
Timothy Zahn is one of my favorite authors, so I had high hopes for this book quality-wise. Didn't know what it was about ahead of time, was just looking for something to do w/ my Nook.

This is a sci fi book, but without the pew pew. There's a planet, Triplet, so named because it's actually 3 planets in one! Who built this system, how does it work, and why did these aliens (it must be aliens, right?) populate the 2 "inner" planets w/ humans? None of this is explained because no one knows. The "tu...more
Tina Hsu
I'm not sure why women protagonists are often written so irritatingly - Danae is whiny, childish, thinks she knows it all and is highly offended by anyone trying to educate her on the reality of the worlds of Shamsheer or Karyx. Her characterization reminds me of many a YA novel where the protagonist is emotionally immature and does incredibly stupid things because she can't seem to learn that maybe she doesn't know everything. On the other hand, Ravagin, Danae's potential love interest, is extr...more
Patrick
I usually like Zahn's books, but this felt really amateurish. Maybe it was one of the first he ever published. It's more fantasy than sci-fi. While taking place in a sci-fi universe the planets they visit are like fantasy planets with kings and magic and spirits and whatnot.

Danae was so annoying that I wanted to throttle her. She kept whining about everyone treating her like a child; well maybe stop whining like a child! For a grad student she wasn't very bright most of the time either. Then th...more
Chris Hawks
One of my earlier forays into fantasy. I picked it up having only read (and enjoyed) Zahn's Star Wars work. This is a relatively-interesting book about (if I recall correctly) a planet that holds a gateway to a world of unbelievably-advanced technology, which in turn holds a gate to a world of magic and sorcery. (And, further down the rabbit hole, the world of "demons".) Not a great book, but entertaining enough, with a lot of tension built as someone or something tries to off the protagonists....more
Breeanna
This is precisely the sort of sci-fi/fantasy-with-romance-bent that I ADORE, so this book hit all the right buttons. And the world-building is just STUNNING.
Patrick
The genre of this book tips much closer to fantasy than scifi. Interesting concept and world-building, utterly forgettable and annoying characters. Due to the premise of the book there is a substantial amount of "spiritualism."
Lisa
This book was a pleasant surprise. Yes the main female character was unusually stupid and unthinking but at the same time I think many young people can be that stupid and unthinking. The romance did feel a bit contrived. I really liked the idea of the book and that is what sold me. Three worlds in space each with different rules relating to them. I thought it was rather clever. The plot was action packed which made it fun. I was able to ignore the poor character development and just enjoy the ri...more
The world this takes place in is very interesting with three linked planets, but it took me a while to understand how they fit together. It's an interesting mix of science fiction and fantasy. At first I found Danae annoying, but by the end of the book I liked both main characters (Danae and Ravagin) well enough. I do think there was potential to make the characters and the story itself more interesting as I was often left wanting a bit more.
Rae
I'm going to give this author another try, but I found that he frequently lapsed into tired tropes and lazy plotting. For someone much vaunted as a great sci-fi writer and beloved for his work on the Star Wars novelizations, I had hoped for better. A throw away, quickly read bit of fluff with just enough good action to keep you reading, but not enough substance to make you happy at the end with putting your reading time into it.
Charles Miller
still an enjoyable read.
Claire P
I was impressed by the creative premise of the story, and enjoyed the fact that it was, for the most part, unpredictable. Although there are elements that remain unexplained at the end, those are details that enhance the plot. The characters are well developed and likeable. I truly enjoyed this book!
Jessica
This is pretty much my favorite Timothy Zahn book. Triplet is very different from Zahn's usual because it is a mix of Science Fiction and Fantasy due to the multiple dimensions of Triplet. The book is an interesting read and is fast-paced. I would recommend it to any Zahn fans.
Arwen
Decent enough summer read. Danae was annoying like many a young female character out to prove herself. And the mixture of magic and technology wasn't very convincing. It didn't mesh well although it was a good experiment for the author I suppose.
Mercurybard
Very rarely do I give up on a book, but this one was so boring, I felt like I was just wasting my time with it. The protagonist is whiny and spoiled, and for all her university training, she keeps doing things she knows are incredibly stupid.
Moonburst
Not bad. I liked the idea that the plot was based on. The romance between the two main characters was forced and really obnoxious. Not Zahn's best work.
Doranna Durgin
One of the things I like most about Zahn's work is his unrelentingly unique/complete world- & society-building. This book's got that in spades!
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Afel
Afel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 15, 2014
Jayb80503
Jayb80503 marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • The Ninety Trillion Fausts (Quintara Marathon, #3)
  • The Course of Empire (Jao, #1)
  • The Mind Pool
  • Howling Mad
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • Iterations
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion, #1/Alliance-Union Universe)
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 2
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • The Mask of Loki
  • The Witling
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec...more
More about Timothy Zahn...
Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1) Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2) The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3) Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #1) Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #2)