Start by marking “Warhorse” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Tampy aliens’ living spaceships are far more powerful than humanity’s non-biological technology. Can they—and should they—be tamed?

Throughout the universe, space horses are among the most coveted of species. They are starfaring creatures with telekinetic abilities, tamed and controlled by the Tampy aliens—who aren’t willing to share their understanding of the creatures
Published October 16th 2012 by Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Warhorse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warhorse

Doc Opp
One of the problems I often have with sci-fi and fantasy is that the authors rarely bother to make their worlds ecologically plausible. Large carnivores will live underground in places that there wouldn't be a food source large enough to support them. Aliens will appear to have evolved to hunt man on a planet where there were no men, and so such adaptations would have been selected against. Etc.

This book actually takes the notion of ecology seriously and uses it as a set of assumptions to build
I read this a long time ago. It was a little different from most space operas in that there really wasn't much warfare; rather, there were two species trying to avoid war, while holding irreconcilable viewpoints. Humans have gone into space doing what they do on Earth: reshaping (and sometimes destroying) the environment to suit their needs. The aliens, the Tampies, are one-with-nature types who view human terraforming as abhorent. Neither race is evil, neither race is wrong, but their two world ...more
More like a 3.5 ? What was missing for me was was humor, interior scene setting and depth of personal relationships. What is there: beauty of space & astronomical phenomena, travel, navigation, psychology, and most interestingly the interplay between two perspectives in conflict over time.
D.M. Dutcher
One of Zahn's better books. Unusual in that it chronicles Earth's struggles with getting used to a benign race called the Tampies. In order to prove that the two races can work together, a mixed crew aboard one of the Tampie living ships tries to adjust to each other as they research new worlds. There's tension between pro and anti alien factions, and some startling discoveries that await them.

It's interesting because the alien race aren't conquerors, but don't like us because they view us as ou
I got super excited when I saw this book thinking it was new Zahn. Alas, it was just new-to-ebook Zahn. That's OK though as it was still new to me!

As usual with Zahn's books I found this an enjoyable read. The story is about the conflict between humans and aliens over space "horses," creatures that enable faster space travel. Zahn does an excellent job of imagining a truly alien species with vastly different values and thinking compared to the humans. Some of the humans, in contrast, were strang
Scott Schiffmacher
Very different from his Star Wars work, but in a very good way. He opens up a complete new universe and manages to make it cohesive and readily accessible in the space of a single novel. Zahn was already on my shortlist of favourite authors after the Thrawn series, and this book just further reinforced that assessment.
Zahn's work is so imaginative! Oh, yes, of course there are politics and war (or threat of same), not unexpected in much sci fi, but it's his aliens and their societies and cultures that grab me.
Zahn is a great author

I thought this was a fun sci fi book. It's not his best though also not his worst and if you are looking for a quick read it's perfect
I had a little trouble getting into it at the beginning, but then things started getting underway.
I expected this to be edited better than it was. I felt I was reading a self-published novel written by an author without a proofreader. I finally gave up trying to wade through the typos.
Keith L
Zahn never disappoints me, and this book was no exception. I love how much detail he puts into new races, that are just so much more alien than other aliens in most books. He stresses in most of his books how difficult relations would be with any race we happen to come across, and I can't help but agree. But he also doesn't just demonize the human race, but shares the blame of the failed relationships on everyone involved.
The book revolves around two characters: Roman, who wants peace with the Tampies, and Ferrol, who is very much against. Both are assigned to the same mission, which may be the last chance of averting war with the Tampies.

What I like is that neither side is demonized and how Ferrol and Roman come to respect each other. A fairly good read that I got through in one sitting.
Deanna Lack
Typical Zahn: truly unique aliens and sci-fi concepts, well woven plots, likeable characters, even the 'bad' guys. There's nothing to dislike here.

I read Triplett and didn't like it that much, so I thought I'd stick with his StarWars books... Im glad I gave this one a chance, and I will be reading others not set in the Star Wars universe.
I have read many of Timothy Zahn's books and have never been disappointed. I wasn't disappointed this time either. The premiss of "WarHorse" is a little far out even for Science Fiction but Zahn takes it and makes it into a very good Space Opera type story. I recommend it to all fans of Timothy Zahn.
It's OK but I can't say it really held my interest since I went over a week without reading it at one point.
Kind of felt like a novella, but still had all the thing I like about a great Timothy Zahn sci-fi read!
Emma Caley
A short and very emotional read.
not this edition...sorry
John Schmidt
John Schmidt marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Lici marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Gctorres marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
WingNut is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015
Porsha added it
Oct 21, 2015
  • The Mind Pool
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 2
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • The Ends of the Circle (The Pelbar Cycle, #2)
  • Torn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3)
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • The Reagan I Knew
  • Vanishing Point
  • Persuasions: A Dream of Reason Meeting Unbelief.
  • The Crusades: A History (Yale Nota Bene)
  • A Primer on Postmodernism
  • The Dog Said Bow-Wow
  • Why So Many Gods?
  • Understanding Criminal Law
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • The Lamb and the Fuhrer: Jesus Talks with Hitler (Great Conversations)
  • Lightwing
  • Nova, Vol. 3: Nova Corpse
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...