Start by marking “Warhorse” as Want to Read:
Warhorse

Warhorse

The Tampy aliens’ living spaceships are far more powerful than humanity’s non-biological technology. Can they—and should they—be tamed?

Throughout the universe, space horses are among the most coveted of species. They are starfaring creatures with telekinetic abilities, tamed and controlled by the Tampy aliens—who aren’t willing to share their understanding of the creatures
Published October 16th 2012 by Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Warhorse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warhorse

Doc Opp
Jul 24, 2014 Doc Opp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the problems I often have with sci-fi and fantasy is that the authors rarely bother to make their worlds ecologically plausible. Large carnivores will live underground in places that there wouldn't be a food source large enough to support them. Aliens will appear to have evolved to hunt man on a planet where there were no men, and so such adaptations would have been selected against. Etc.

This book actually takes the notion of ecology seriously and uses it as a set of assumptions to build
David
I read this a long time ago. It was a little different from most space operas in that there really wasn't much warfare; rather, there were two species trying to avoid war, while holding irreconcilable viewpoints. Humans have gone into space doing what they do on Earth: reshaping (and sometimes destroying) the environment to suit their needs. The aliens, the Tampies, are one-with-nature types who view human terraforming as abhorent. Neither race is evil, neither race is wrong, but their two world ...more
Natalie
Dec 24, 2013 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
More like a 3.5 ? What was missing for me was was humor, interior scene setting and depth of personal relationships. What is there: beauty of space & astronomical phenomena, travel, navigation, psychology, and most interestingly the interplay between two perspectives in conflict over time.
Richard Harrison
Enjoyed the detailed space ecology and attention to scientific detail in this book but the characters didn't do a ton for me
Wendy
Apr 15, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Cameron
I got super excited when I saw this book thinking it was new Zahn. Alas, it was just new-to-ebook Zahn. That's OK though as it was still new to me!

As usual with Zahn's books I found this an enjoyable read. The story is about the conflict between humans and aliens over space "horses," creatures that enable faster space travel. Zahn does an excellent job of imagining a truly alien species with vastly different values and thinking compared to the humans. Some of the humans, in contrast, were strang
D.M. Dutcher
Dec 28, 2013 D.M. Dutcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of Zahn's better books. Unusual in that it chronicles Earth's struggles with getting used to a benign race called the Tampies. In order to prove that the two races can work together, a mixed crew aboard one of the Tampie living ships tries to adjust to each other as they research new worlds. There's tension between pro and anti alien factions, and some startling discoveries that await them.

It's interesting because the alien race aren't conquerors, but don't like us because they view us as ou
Keith L
Zahn never disappoints me, and this book was no exception. I love how much detail he puts into new races, that are just so much more alien than other aliens in most books. He stresses in most of his books how difficult relations would be with any race we happen to come across, and I can't help but agree. But he also doesn't just demonize the human race, but shares the blame of the failed relationships on everyone involved.
waltzy
Jul 07, 2013 waltzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, war, military, aliens
The book revolves around two characters: Roman, who wants peace with the Tampies, and Ferrol, who is very much against. Both are assigned to the same mission, which may be the last chance of averting war with the Tampies.

What I like is that neither side is demonized and how Ferrol and Roman come to respect each other. A fairly good read that I got through in one sitting.
Deanna Lack
Mar 09, 2012 Deanna Lack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Zahn: truly unique aliens and sci-fi concepts, well woven plots, likeable characters, even the 'bad' guys. There's nothing to dislike here.

I read Triplett and didn't like it that much, so I thought I'd stick with his StarWars books... Im glad I gave this one a chance, and I will be reading others not set in the Star Wars universe.
Michael
Aug 17, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many of Timothy Zahn's books and have never been disappointed. I wasn't disappointed this time either. The premiss of "WarHorse" is a little far out even for Science Fiction but Zahn takes it and makes it into a very good Space Opera type story. I recommend it to all fans of Timothy Zahn.
Scott
Feb 02, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from his Star Wars work, but in a very good way. He opens up a complete new universe and manages to make it cohesive and readily accessible in the space of a single novel. Zahn was already on my shortlist of favourite authors after the Thrawn series, and this book just further reinforced that assessment.
Patrick
It's OK but I can't say it really held my interest since I went over a week without reading it at one point.
Trisha
Jan 29, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zahn is a great author

I thought this was a fun sci fi book. It's not his best though also not his worst and if you are looking for a quick read it's perfect
Bailey Olfert
While I would have liked to see a bit more depth of relationship between the characters, I did enjoy this book, especially that it was less predictable than a lot of science fiction.
Eat5hams
Sep 06, 2010 Eat5hams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Kind of felt like a novella, but still had all the thing I like about a great Timothy Zahn sci-fi read!
Joanna
Jan 17, 2015 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a little trouble getting into it at the beginning, but then things started getting underway.
Atb
Apr 07, 2015 Atb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I expected this to be edited better than it was. I felt I was reading a self-published novel written by an author without a proofreader. I finally gave up trying to wade through the typos.
L
May 23, 2014 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Zahn's work is so imaginative! Oh, yes, of course there are politics and war (or threat of same), not unexpected in much sci fi, but it's his aliens and their societies and cultures that grab me.
Donesh Gillin
Donesh Gillin rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Moonburst
Moonburst rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
JT Neville
JT Neville rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016
coteof
coteof rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Michael Kennedy
Michael Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Antony Norman Gusscott
Antony Norman Gusscott rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Kai Kaganishu
Kai Kaganishu rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Dale
Dale rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
John Van Stry
John Van Stry rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Normandy
Normandy rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
  • The Ends of the Circle (The Pelbar Cycle, #2)
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 2
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • The Mind Pool
  • Prime Suspects: A Clone Detective Mystery
  • Vanishing Point
  • The Reagan I Knew
  • The Children Star
  • Prince of Sparta (Falkenberg's Legion #4)
  • Undertow
  • Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations
  • Arts and Ideas
  • The Dog Said Bow-Wow
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • The Lamb and the Fuhrer: Jesus Talks with Hitler (Great Conversations)
  • A Primer on Postmodernism
  • The Prince of Darkness: 50 Years Reporting in Washington
  • Prelude to Space
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...