Start by marking “The Purification Ceremony” as Want to Read:
The Purification Ceremony

The Purification Ceremony

When a hunting party visits a lodge in Maine, the forest demands revenge

Thirty miles of woods surround the Metcalfe estate—an untouched patch of wilderness where rich hunters come to kill. As an eight-person hunting party gets comfortable at the estate’s lodge, a different kind of hunter lurks in the woods: a tracker so skilled that he seems to be a force of nature. Tired
Published September 18th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published June 5th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Purification Ceremony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purification Ceremony

Katherine
A classic thriller that explores both the human reaction to being hunted and the eddies of memory. The plot moves quickly and information is well-paced as is the norm in well-written murder-mystery thrillers. The stereotypes of the genre are undercut by the inclusion of magical-realism in the arguably underdeveloped and underexplored elements of Native American spirituality. All in all, an enjoyable book.
Catherine J Kearns
Good Read

Enjoyed the suspense. Have always enjoyed Indian Lore and some of the talks. We're interesting. You should enjoy this book but not as a horror story. To thin to cut horror.
Anne
Feb 20, 2017 Anne marked it as sorted-out  ·  review of another edition
Es ist mal wieder an der Zeit, einige Bücher auszusortieren, die ich doch nicht lesen möchte - dieses gehört dazu.
Paul
Mark T. Sullivan's "The Purification Ceremony" focuses on Diana Jackman, a woman of Native American ancestry who has separated from her husband and family in the wake of her estranged father's suicide. His death re-awakens long-suppressed emotional issues for Diana, and, in a bid to reconnect with her family's love, respect and near-worship of nature and the outdoors, she books a deer hunting trip in British Columbia.

Things almost immediately go wrong, however, as Diana stumbles across the dead
Keksisbaby
Ich war ehrlich gesagt enttäuscht. Toxic war einfach um Längen besser. Der Anfang war dröge. Kann aber einfach sein, das man dafür Wald und Jagdfan sein muß. Ich war echt kurz davor es abzubrechen, wäre es nicht auf Seite 90 spannend geworden. Eine Gruppe von Jägern im Kanadischen Wald jagen auf nem exklusiven Grundstück Hirsche von einem Ausmaß das man nur durch genetische Manipulationen erreicht. Doch bald schlägt das Weidmannglück um in Angst, denn ein Psychopath schwingt sich auf zur Säuberu ...more
Marvin
Aug 14, 2010 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
You can download The Purification Ceremony for free from the author's website.

A riveting novel that is one part adventure, one part fantasy horror, and one part suspense thriller. Sullivan combines these expertly and gives us a fresh protagonist in Diana "Little Crow" Jackman, a Native -American who struggles in two cultures. The author is a skilled action writer who can also write believable characters. Recommended.
Bill Syken
Oct 24, 2015 Bill Syken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My agent sent me this book, and having finished it, I can see why. Purification Ceremony is a clinic in building a narrative that is strong in both suspense and story, and it also takes the read deep into a world that was for me unfamiliar—the worlds of deer hunting, and Native American psychedelia. It's an impressive achievement.
Mirja
A really good idea, very gripping. I read this book in such a short time and just couldn't put it down. Then why only 3 out 5 in the rating? I'd say it's the bad translations fault as I read it in german, though I can't say if it would be the same writing I had problems with if I had read the book in english. Either way, a good idea with a few bumps along the way but still full of suspense.
Maurean
My second read of Sullivan's work...this was enjoyable, but forgettable. (I read "Ghost Dance" several years ago, apparently - based on my review at the time - I enjoyed that one as well, but I don't remember the story at all...) If I come across another by this author I'd read it, but I won't actively look for others.
Julie Johnson
Feb 22, 2013 Julie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this about 10 years ago and the story stuck with me -- always a good sign of a good read. If I could I would give it 3 and a half stars. I enjoyed the read and could see how it might make a good movie.
NATUI
Nov 01, 2011 NATUI rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. It held my interest well enough, and I remember thinking several times that this would make a good movie if properly done. A good book to pass the time but nothing earth-shattering.
Ann
Apr 09, 2013 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Obviously the writer knows a lot about hunting, which was interesting. However the protagonist seemed weaker than necessary and stronger than what is believable at times (her vs.a pack of wolves?). The Native rituals and history was interesting as was the respect of nature and human balance.
Nancy
Apr 23, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men and Women
Recommended to Nancy by: just picked it up....
Very Suspenseful and a real page turner...
Cameron
What's not to love? A strong woman character. A crisis of character. A winter snow setting. Isolated camp. Mystery and gore....
Medhya
Oct 18, 2015 Medhya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I wouldn't describe it as a page turner. But I did enjoy reading it and continue to read it every day
Maura
I don't remember too much about this at all. But I remember liking it and feeling like it was a good suspense novel. I should probably go back and read it again.
Nessreen
Nicely written, but not as good (or as thrilling) as I expected it.
Trevor Thompson
Dec 06, 2011 Trevor Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I just can't get this novel out of me. Haunting. Hunting.
Doug
Jan 18, 2008 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Absolutley terrific. Scary, thought provoking and great characters!
Vikki
Mar 17, 2010 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A woman who is part Indian and a deer hunter go to a Lodge for a hunt. Many things happen. Very suspenseful. I really liked this book.
Anette
Jan 07, 2013 Anette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sehr gutes Buch, aber nur in der Originalversion zu empfehlen, da die deutsche Übersetzung sehr stümperhaft ist.
Daelith
May 08, 2008 Daelith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
This started out good, but had some lulls in it for me.
Sandra G.
Sandra G. rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Peter Planz
Peter Planz rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Michael Barrs
Michael Barrs rated it liked it
May 30, 2007
Beebee
Beebee rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Les.
Les. rated it liked it
May 09, 2009
Silke
Silke rated it liked it
May 31, 2017
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • Medusa
  • Cool Like That (So For Real, #4)
  • Hottest Blood: The Ultimate in Erotic Horror  (Hot Blood, #3)
  • Scion's Lady (Gil Trilogy, #2)
  • Crack-Up
  • The Bone Polisher (Simeon Grist Mystery, #6)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Der Greif
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Het Koningsboek
  • Lautlos
  • Robin and Ruby
  • A Taste for Passion (Kendrian Vampires, #1)
  • Dust Devils
  • Future Indefinite (The Great Game, #3)
  • Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood, #1)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
Mark T. Sullivan (b. 1958) is an author of thrillers. Born in a Boston suburb, he joined the Peace Corp after college, traveling to West Africa to live with a tribe of Saharan nomads. Upon returning to the United States, he took a job at Reuters, beginning a decade-long career in journalism that would eventually lead to a job as an investigative reporter for the San Diego Tribune.

Sullivan spent th
More about Mark T. Sullivan...