My Father Like a River

My Father Like a River

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ron Rash, PEN/Faulkner finalist and New York Times bestselling author of Serena and The Cove, has been called "a gorgeous writer" (Richard Price) with a "reputation for writerly miracles" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times), and is been heralded as "one of our very finest novelists" (Richard Russo).

Now comes an exclusive eSingle featuring a never-before-published short stor...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about My Father Like a River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father Like a River

Cheryl
This ebook from the library is just two short stories. It turns out to be sort of a mini-advance copy in advance of his new collection coming out in a couple of weeks. Both were excellent stories. Like previous works, he channels the poor, the marginated and the disenfranchised with unsentimental sympathy. I'm looking forward to the real book.
Sean Owen
This esingle from Ron Rash is the stand alone story of the title and also included is the first story from his collection "Nothing Gold Can Stay" One of Ron Rash's best qualities is his versatility. Whether writing about the 19th century or the present day he truly captures the sense of place. "My Father Like a River" is told from the perspective of a man remembering a period in his youth when his father had lost his job and the family fell a few rungs down the social ladder. The narrative form...more
Patricia
Two short stories. "My Father Like a River" is a story of a man who loses his job and his son is nearly lost while fishing together. "Trusty" is the story of a convict, sent to secure water for the chain gang, who convinces a young farm woman to escape with him. Both are very well written.
Prowisorio
Slechts twee verhalen in dit boekje, en dat is te weinig natuurlijk. Maar, niet getreurd, de dikkere versie met meer van deze poëtisch donkere verhalen ligt nog op me te wachten.
Peg
This is a short story disguised as a Kindle Book. Actually it was 2 short stories. He's one of my favorite authors. I wish it had been longer.
Justin
My Father Like a River includes two short stories: the title story and the longer The Trusty. The Trusty was also published in Rash’s recent short story collection Nothing Gold Can Stay. It’s as good now as it was when I read Nothing Gold Can Stay, but I’m disappointed to see a story I already own and have read. As is usually the case with Rash, both stories take place in the mountains of NC.

The two make for good examples of the taxonomy of short stories I just invented. Short stories are driven...more
John Owen
This book consists of two very well written short stories. It is the first of this author I have read but it makes me want to read more.
Rebecca Engebretson
First collection I have read by Ron Rash. Two short stories in this ebook. Reminded me of Flannery O'Connor.
Bea
This consisted of just two short stories, very good, that will be coming out in a different collection. If you like Ron Rash you will like this. This is his typical stuff.
Laurie
A mini-book of two fine short stories.
Ed
Another great short story by Ron Rash.
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Harriet
Harriet marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Martha
Martha added it
Sep 07, 2014
Jenna
Jenna added it
Sep 02, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Monette Runalls
Monette Runalls marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Sammi Anderson
Sammi Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Claire Neubauer
Claire Neubauer marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other St...more
More about Ron Rash...