Queen of This Realm: The Tudor Queens (Queens of England, #2)

Queen of This Realm: The Tudor Queens (Queens of England #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,040 ratings  ·  60 reviews
In this "memoir" by Elizabeth I, legendary historical novelist Jean Plaidy reveals the Virgin Queen as she truly was: the bewildered, motherless child of an all-powerful father; a captive in the Tower of London; a shrewd politician; a lover of the arts; and eventually, an icon of an era. It is the story of her improbable rise to power and the great triumphs of her reign--t...more
Published May 18th 2004 by Broadway Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of This Realm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of This Realm

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirThe Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa GregoryThe Constant Princess by Philippa GregoryThe Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
Best Books About Tudor England
94th out of 386 books — 1,114 voters
Murder Most Royal by Jean PlaidyThe Lady in the Tower by Jean PlaidyThe Rose Without a Thorn by Jean PlaidyThe Courts of Love by Jean PlaidyIn the Shadow of the Crown by Jean Plaidy
The best Jean Plaidy books
6th out of 47 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Oriana
When I was invited to write a review about a book by Jane Plaidy, I readily accepted. I had heard so much about the author but never really had the chance to read any of her works. Queen of this Realm seemed like a good choice for this first experience, since the charismatic Elizabeth I, queen of England is one of my favorite historic figures.

The book opens with Elizabeth’s troubled childhood. Daughter of the all powerful Henri VIII and the attractive Anne Boleyn, who was executed when Elizabeth...more
Cynthia  Scott
I would rank this book as five star as a historical book, but as three star for general reading pleasure. There were quite a few instances when incidents were reported repeatedly as background to new events - too often and too many. It seemed almost as if many chapters were meant to be free-standing stories.

The material was very accurate and the whole of Elizabeth's life as an adult reported very well.
Shelley
I have read other books by Plaidy but they were not this tedious. She managed to reduce this powerful, fascinating woman down to just her idolatry of men. I am sure that factored into her reign, but I didn't need almost 600 pages on it to the exclusion of her policies and masterful leadership.
Edward Creter
"You can't control an independent heart."--Sting.
In the case of Queen Elizabeth I, it's absolutely true.Queen Liz has beeen the subject of non-fiction books, fictional works, a mystery series and some very popular movies, two of which showcase the ravishing Cate Blanchett as her Majesty. But I think Queen of this Realm by Lady Jean Plaidy takes us more into her heart and shows us the woman behind the crown 'cos it tells the story from her perspective as if she's writing her own auto-bio. It's an...more
Cassy
This is another one of those times I REALLY wish that Goodreads had a 1/2 star rating. I would give this a solid 3 1/2. Mainly because of the ending.

This book could really only be considered fiction because Plaidy gets inside of Elizabeth's head. She doesn't from the first person POV and, of course, we could never really know what was going on in Elizabeth's head so it has to be fiction. I'm sure a lot of the conversation are interpretative, but I bet they're pretty close to what was said.

Plait...more
Rae
Perhaps these Elizabethan/Victorian/period novels that follow the lives of royal and other figures are not my cup of tea, but I have to say this is the second time I've been left feeling a little less than impressed. This story is good, for what it is. I just wasn't thrilled with it.

Jean Plaidy's writing is nice, and compared to Carolly Erickson's random jumps into kitschy Harlequin moments, she's a breath of fresh air. But my biggest qualm is with her portrayal of Elizabeth.

The book is obviou...more
Andrea
Inhalt:

Elisabeth I., geliebt, gehasst, verraten... Als 2 Tochter Heinrichs VIII. war sie nichts viel wert. Ein Sohn musste her, dafür heiratete Heinrich VIII. 6 Ehefrauen, und eine gebar ihm den gewünschten Sohn. Mit 3 Jahren als illegetim erklärt, mit 25 geliebte Königin Englands. 45 Jahre hat sie als Alleinregendin auf dem Thron Englands gesessen. Ihr leben Lang hat Elisabeth nur eine Liebe gehabt, Robert Dudley, den sie niemals heiraten darf. Elisabeth schafft es während ihrer Regendschaft,...more
Mamma23
One of my all-time fave books on Liz 1st. I also devour anything Philippa Gregory churns out. I dare say, I loved this one better than the Gregory The Virgin Queen..gasp!

Yes, it is FICTION...historical fiction. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it after reading Gregory, but it was oh so worth it.

I LOVE Elizabeth, so almost anything I get my hands on about her, I usually love, so take it with a grain of salt.

I found this book on a dollar pile (!) at the flea market. Jean Plaidy also had...more
Heather
Really enjoyed this book. Jean Plaidy managed to capture the character of Elizabeth I exactly how I would imagine it. The voice Jean Plaidy gave her really made me believe in the decisions that Elizabeth I made, such as her decision to remain the Virgin Queen and refuse all marriage. Yet her narration shows her strengths and weaknesses and her incredible self-awareness of them, and her true character. Her adoration of certain young men and her admitting she knows it is truly her power and positi...more
Marissa
This is my least favorite of Plaidy’s novels. It might just be due to the fact that I’ve read so many novels and histories about Elizabeth I that any others I read need to be truly magnificent so that they stand out from the crowd. This novel is par for the course for Plaidy- an extensive re-telling of the life of one of history’s most popular figures.

It just didn’t do anything for me. I thought maybe I was getting sick of Plaidy because I’ve been reading so much of her lately, but the novel I’m...more
Korynn
Sep 30, 2007 Korynn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: brief historians
I did not like the beginning of this fictional retelling of the life of Elizabeth I in her own voice. Mostly because of the realistic idiotic girl tone to it in which she primps and giggles with her servants when she's not slapping them for angering her. Luckily she grows out of it and really on the whole you'd be better off finding a good biography because that's basically how this mammoth undertaking reads, as a brief readthrough of events in the life of Queen Elizabeth I year by year. I appla...more
Christy
I thought this was an excellent historical romance. I love reading about Queen Elizabeth I and thought this book was a wonderful story, partially including real history, but also always touching on the missed romances that Elizabeth had through out her reign. I like the way that Jean Plaidy writes. Her written voice is easy to follow, exciting, and educating. She includes not only the romance realm, but also insight into the politics of her reign and never-ending fight for her crown by usurpers,...more
Michele
Historical fiction at its best. Jean Plaidy (who is also about ten other people, including Victoria Holt, Queen of the Governess Gothic) not only writes great dialog and interesting plot but actually does her research. This is a top-notch example of how engrossing real history can be -- a bit stilted, perhaps, for those accustomed to the lusty nekkidness of The Tudors or the teen-angst soap-opera that is Reign, but if you prefer your history accurate rather than spicy, you'll be most pleased.
Kent
I started out to read Elizabeth I by Margaret George, but when I learned that it began with the Spanish Armada, I decided to read Jean Plaidy's Queen of the Realm instead. I had read one other of Plaidy's Tudor Queen series, so I was familiar with her style.

I enjoyed the book, but toward the end was growing tired of Elizbeth's endless admissions of her own vanity (the book is written in the first person). I wonder if the real Elizabeth would have ever admitted to such.

I found the book enjoyable...more
Laurie
So far, I am finding the book pretty readable...and it is not always easy for me to get through a book about Elizabeth. Phillipa Gregory is probably the only author who has written a book about her that I've been able to finish.

While Plaidy is not as juicy a writer as Gregory, I find her books easy to read and educational (with a grain of historical fiction salt). From the recent publications of her Queens series, I've worked my way down from Eleanor of Acquitaine in chronological order. All of...more
Katie
I do love Plaidy's historical fiction - she puts so much life into her stories. This is not to mention that her research is much more accurate than some popular authors I will not name.

Queen of This Realm goes as far back as "Elizabeth" can remember in her life, the first memory being of her mother desperately trying to get the king to acknowledge her, just days before Anne's execution. As it follows along on the road of her life, you get a sense of the human behind the legendary title. She real...more
Katie

Like the final line from "There will be blood" I'M FINISHED!!!!
It makes me said to admit that it took me forever to read one of my favorite author's books. There was just so many other books that I had to read because they came in as holds. Now, I do own this one; so perhaps that is why I said alot...let me just come back to thi later.

The detail the tone...always spot on with Jean Plaidy. She doesn't dive into the hype of Elizabeth falling into bed with Robert...it was a love affair of the soul...more
Jen
It was a very interesting mix of history and fiction, I found it difficult at times to know what was real and what wasn't which was neat. I got the feeling by the end of the book that I had really read a memoir of the Queen, and had to remind myself that it was indeed fiction. The bibliography list for the book is definitely a good resource in itself, if nothing else it provides a very nice chronological portrait of the political happenings of the time.
Diana
I liked this. I agree with other readers that summing up Elizabeth I whole reign is tricky. This is written from in Elizabeth's voice, but I found much of it very repetitive with Elizabeth constantly stating how smart she is and how good her "men" are. Quite a few pages could have been cut out if Plaidy did not feel the need to repeat. Not the best Queen Elizabeth I fiction, but an overall enjoyable read.
Megan
I love!!! all of Jean Plaidy's books. She is very good with getting history right, I've never read anything that was't true I llok up there stories online after I read them and that she writes happened in history. She is great because she isn't smutty and she doesn't get off on the sex stories. I also love that mostof her books are about women in history we hear so little about them.
Ami
This is a decent book. I found the first half more interesting than the second. Possibly because I didn't know as much about this period in Queen Elizabeth's life. The downside to the story is that it portrays the Queen sillier and more vain than I had imagined her. I might have enjoyed it more if there were more "politics" involved, not just a recounting of daily court life.
Billye
I am reading this book for the 2nd time- about Queen Elizabeth I- wonderful as all Jean Plaidy's books are about the kings and Queens of England. I love to read and reread these historical fiction books. I have all the books she has written under the name of Jean Plaidy and I read them over and over. They are a wonderful way to study English history.
Pauline Lloyd
Surprisingly I really enjoyed this. Written as a diary in the first person.
Kendra
Quite honestly I didn't read the whole thing... I thought this was going to be more historical and it was written to be as historically correct as possible but the author focused on the love life of Queen Elizabeth. I didn't care to much about that I wanted to read more about the political, social things that happened during here reign. Oh well.
Daylin
It was a good book just it was very very long. Also I didn't like how she kept addressing the same people by different names, yes I understand they were given new titles and everything but it just made everything much more confusing if she is talking to Deverouex one minute and then Essex the next when it was the same person.
Eva
Aug 10, 2014 Eva rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I enjoyed this take on Elizabeth I by Jean Plaidy. A different perspective than other authors I have read and I found it plausible and highly researched. The second part of the book had a much slower and challenging pace, but overall the book kept my attention.

Look forward to more Plaidy Tudor reads.
sonja
The first half is better than the last. After reading this book I am more inspired by Elizabeth I's life- she truly was a ''God chosen'' queen for England. I also admire her dedication to her people and her crown, being willing to sacrifice love for a greater cause- that of her country. God bless the queen!
Monique
Argh, this book is going SO slow for me! I've had it for 3 months and I'm still not finished - I wonder how many times the library will let me renew it? I much prefer Philippa Gregory's style of writing to this author's; I wish Gregory would write more books about the Tudor princesses and queens.
Pru
Wonderful story. Of course we all know the story. There are enough movies to keep you busy for an entire weekend and books about Elizabeth to fill your reading list from here to forever. Plaidy's writing is excellent. Haven't read her in years. This was well worth the time.
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • At the King's Pleasure  (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #4 )
  • Legacy
  • The Concubine
  • The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII
  • Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Mary Tudor: The Spanish Tudor
  • The Queen of Subtleties: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Lady Jane Grey: Nine Days Queen
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
  • Mistress Anne
  • Secrets of the Tudor Court
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)