Start by marking “Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 (Wolf's Rain, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 (Wolf's Rain, #1)

Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 (Wolf's Rain #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,509 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 A two-volume manga adaptation of the fantasy anime series follows a pack of wolves as they attempt to find a mysterious paradise called "Rakuen" meant only for creatures of their kind. Full description
Published November 5th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
223rd out of 984 books — 2,983 voters
Watership Down by Richard AdamsInto the Wild by Erin HunterRedwall by Brian JacquesFire and Ice by Erin HunterA Dangerous Path by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Books in Fantasy
27th out of 150 books — 359 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 04, 2008 Tyas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I really want to write this to Tsume:

Dear Tsume,
I like your character. But I heavily dislike your look. Your clothes are awful. Thank you.
The short manga version of BONES' Wolf's Rain is an impressive graphic novel. It takes some of the most complex characterization and condenses it into two volumes. The first volume, however, gets stuck on set-up, and the story isn't very compelling yet. You get whiffs of the amazing story to follow once the wolves get on their journey, but until then all you see are angsty loners meeting up for the first time.

Paradoxically, this first manga is, of course, essential to reading the second book ...
Hey guys:DI am here to write the review on Wolf's Rain,one of the anime and manga legends in my opinion.I read the first volume -finally- and I have lots of things to tell you.

First of all,I have to admit that at first I was surprised how much the manga looks like the anime but as the story unfolded,for a strange reason,I realized that I didn't like it THAT much as the anime.Then,I changed my mind COMPLETELY and I realized that I liked the fact that it wasn't as complicated as the anime was.

Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I thought Wolf's Rain was a little weird. The story seemed interesting enough, but I also felt like I was missing something. It, apparently, is an anime, and the manga is based on it. I wonder if that's why I have these feelings of missing something. You definitely have to take the world as it is, because you don't really get the how's or why's- it just is. I really like the the story, and the art is okay. It was a little blurry, particularly at the beginning, and I'm not sure if the copy I have ...more
Being the first manga I've read, I'll have to split this review into 2 parts so as to give a complete picture of my thoughts.

Manga in general
I picked Wolf's Rain as my first manga for 2 reasons: firstly, I am extremely fond of the anime upon which it is based, and secondly because it was short. I wasn't sure how I'd find this whole "reading backwards" business, but it was, actually, rather easy to get used to. Still a bit odd, but quite comfortable and manageable. I figured, just in case I strug
Gina Lamm
A white wolf named Kiba who can turn himself into a human is trying to find a place called paradise. He met a few friends in a city named Toboe, Hige, and Tsume who are also wolves and can transform into humans. Kiba saw a flower maiden named Cheza who could lead him to paradise, but she is captured by a noble named Darcia. Kiba and his friends traveled out of the city to find Cheza and paradise.

The theme of this manga is don't give up on what you are looking for and keep going, then you will fi
This is the first manga that I ever read, given to me by a friend in early high school. I remember finding it fantastic. I guess after years of reading experience, I've realized - in retrospect - that this manga isn't really that good. Unless it's just me discarding the incredible fantasy of the whole story - nothing really has a "how" or "why" aspect to it. The reader is meant to take all the strange aspects of this world as they are - so some magical wolves can turn into people and there's a b ...more
After seeing the anime, I picked up the manga. The story is fairly different though the premise is the same: In this post-apocolyptic world, wolves are thought to have gone extinct with most other wildlife after humanity wrecked the environment, but they've just learned how to appear as humans if people don't pay too much attention to them by some kind of illusion. I enjoyed that they left shape-changing out of it. Somehow it retains the wolves' dignity.

Legend says the Lunar Flower will guide th
Gambarnya bagus, ceritanya juga oke...
Tapi aku bingung sama endingnya >< itu yang ngurangin bintangnya
Rebecca McNutt
This book seemed like it would be good but instead it was just boring and unoriginal.
Reetta Saine
Pitkähkön animesarjan typistäminen kahteen mangaan on vähän kuin rottiksen hännän leikkaaminen. Valinta, mutta ei välttämättä fiksu.

Juoni ei pääse vetämään, kun henkilöhahmojen ja miljöön esittely vie sivukaupalla tilaa. Lukija pyörittelee päätään tulevaisuuden, aristokraattien, paratiisin, laumojen, kukkien ja kuuntyttären kanssa pelastuen onneksi hienoihin susipiirroksiin lepäämään. Kun kirja loppuu, se olisi just alkanut. Kakkososaa kehiin!
Jeffrey De La Cruz
This book I liked because in this book there is tons of action. In this book there are humans but they can turn into wolves. These wolves/humans are looking for a city that has paradise for wolves that where people can accept wolves instead of hate them. The humans are trying to kill the wolves because there wolves got instinct 200 years ago are then there wasnt any of them. But now there are five of them leftand they are trying to find paradise where people can accept them.
I've read in other reviews that the anime for Wolf's Rain is better than the 2-volume manga, and I suspect that's correct. It seemed like too much of a story to fit into just 2 volumes, and thus everything felt under-developed, a little confusing, and disconnected. I feel like I could have really liked the main characters and gotten into their struggles/quest, but I wasn't really given anything to "sink my teeth into" (all puns aside) with this short manga adaptation. :(
wolf's rain felt like a more natural flowing anime with fine spiritual/religious undertones. They end on a rather high note making the reader feel like it wasnt a total waste of time but theyd totes wanna read the next one.
would recommend for: dudes that like wolves, religion, 90s style anime designs and road trip/journey
its pretty good, i can see alot of kids loving the hell outta this aswell as adults
I read this book three or so years ago, in 6th grade. It was my first manga. I remember liking it, so I checked it out from the library and read it again.
It is interesting. (I'm sad it's only two books.) The plot is interesting, and the drawing is good... but I don't really know how to review it otherwise.
I definitely will check out the anime. Everyone seems to love it.
I liked the story, but the beginning was confusing for me, theres a lot of questions that I want to be answered, that the book hasn't said anything about. Like why are they chasing the Lunar Maiden, or why the wolves are being hunted or what time and place does this take place is?
A great deal faster than the anime, but still very enjoyable. I like the quicker pace because I'm familiar with the story, and the slower ingestion of the anime makes for more relatability, so this kinda suffers on that front. Good for a short, nostalgic romp with nostalgia.
Nyie Rombeng
misi mencari rakuen oleh sekelompok werewolf ini keren banget ceritanya.sayangnya hanya dibuat 2 volume saja.mungkin bones dkk adalah komikus yang simpel.aku harap ada next project darinya yang lebih seru tentunya,because werewolf/vampire theme always in,readers:)
Ashira (Savannah)
I adored this anime. It actually made me cry (which is quite the difficult feat, lemme tell you that much). It's too bad the manga series is just the 2 books...but still. I loved this book and suggest it to any wolf lover, manga lover, book lover...yeah...
Mayank Agarwal
Picked up the manga after seeing the anime which was great. The manga was a waste as the story was too rushed and cut short, Normally a anime of 30 episodes should have had 60 chapters in manga adoption then the actual 10.
I feel in love with this pack of wolves immediately. I love the story line. I can't really even express how I feel about these characters. This type of story is something definitely up my alley.
Pretty good read. The anime was better, but the manga is still a good read, if a little fast-paced. the manga would probably be more enjoyable if you didn't have the anime to compare it to. :P
This made me cry like a little girl.

It's a bit slow, the anime is a lot better but its still a heart-breaking tale...or maybe i just found it incredibly sad.
The theme of searching for some kind of "Paradise" was interesting, if a bit repetitive. It grew on me as I read it, but it's not incredible.
Tiger Horse
I never read the books but I watched the anime episodes. THEY WERE AMAZING!!! But I guess I won't rate the books since I never read them.
Jan 08, 2011 Naomi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I mainly picked up this book as a reference to drawing wolves and I loved the anime!
well i can honestly say it looks alot like lacanthrope or therians and i still loved it
I LOVE WOLVES AND MANGA!!!!! WOOOOOT! A great combo of the two! Yay!
  • Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+, #1)
  • Samurai Champloo, Volume 1
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 1 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #1)
  • The Record of a Fallen Vampire, Volume 1
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 1
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 2 (Rurouni Kenshin, #2)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 3
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 1
  • Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed
  • FLCL, Volume 1 (FLCL, #1)
  • Elemental Gelade, Volume 1
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 3: In the Flesh (Yu Yu Hakusho, #3)
  • Karneval, Vol. 4 (Karneval, #4)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 4 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #4)
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 1 (Chrono Crusade, #1)
  • Diabolo: Volume 1
BONES is primarily an animation studio which has also written (under the studio name) manga tie-ins for their movies and games.
More about BONES...

Wolf's Rain (2 books)
  • Wolf's Rain, Vol. 2 (Wolf's Rain, #2)
Darker than Black (Darker than Black, #1-2) Darker than Black 1 (Darker than Black, #1) Darker than Black 2 (Darker than Black, #2) Wolf's Rain, Vol. 2 (Wolf's Rain, #2) Eureka Seven; Gravity Boys & Lifting Girls Volume 2