The Abacus: The World's First Computing System: Where it Comes From, How it Works, and How to Use it to Perform Mathermatical Feats Great and Small

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  2 reviews
The abacus is as useful and effecient a machine today as it was when it was first created centures ago. Whether you're an expert in the latest computer technology or you're mastering arithmetic and word problems for the first time, it won't take long to learn the basics (and even the not-so-basics) of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing on this ingenious and fun...more
Published March 15th 1995 by St. Martin's Griffin

Joshua Scarabin
A fascinating explanation of how to use an abacus and it's history. Everyone in the modern world should read this. It will give you an appreciation of a lot our technology that we take for granted. It will also instill in you the fact that we are not "smarter" than our predecessors. We are standing on the shoulders of their inventions and technology.
Robert
I picked up an abacus at Borders, I think. The abacus came with this book. It's an interesting read for those of us who did not know how to use one. A decent introductory book.
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Akmal Rasool
Akmal Rasool marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
James
James is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2013
Gabriel
Gabriel is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2014
Andrea Williams
Andrea Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
:æ:
:æ: added it
Mar 29, 2013
Dan
Dan added it
Dec 03, 2013
Christopher Richmond
Christopher Richmond marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2012
Christopher Sears
Christopher Sears marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Shan Maq
Shan Maq marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2011
Thom Foolery
Thom Foolery marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2011
The Abacus: A Pocket Computer The Abacus Curves And Automation: The Scientists' Plot The Historical Encyclopedia of World War II