Blackmantle

Blackmantle (The Keltiad)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Attacking savagely, stealing land, and corrupting the ancient customs that the people of Keltia have cherished since the time of Atlantis, the hated Firvolgi are well on their way to conquering the Kelts. But the gods bring gifts with calamities, and in this dark time a bright light has appeared. Born orphaned on the battlefield, her name is Athyn Cahanagh, but she is know...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Eos (first published August 1st 1997)

Delaney
I greatly enjoyed most of Kennealy's Keltiad novels as their basic premise is one of the most inventive and pleasing melds of Celtic myth, fantasy, and space travel I've ever encountered. It's a shame she never finished the other books planned in this fictional world.

Blackmantle is the sole disappointment in the Keltiad, although for me this was entirely due to knowing some of the author's own background. Patricia Kennealy (which is the name most of her novels were published under) was involved...more
Latham
Grace
I read this book several years ago, and found it to be a "spoil me" book...the kind that you can't honestly say is objectively a masterpiece, but it's just so darn fun to read you can't help yourself!

Morrison's concept is that there's a planet that was founded by the Ancient Celts, who escaped the planet. A very weird concept, to be sure, but it allows her to create a brand new fantasy world based on Celtic lore and myth.

I found her world to be very immersive, although the writing was by no mea...more
Rachel
A severely odd, yet satisfying read, this book is a good read. I was moved by it at the time, as I identified closely with the heroine of the book. Looking back years later, I do not know if I would enjoy it as much, but until then, my rating shall stand.
Rebecca Huston
Part of Kennealy-Morrison's Keltiad novels, this one is a standalone. A pity that she stopped writing these, this one was pretty good.

For the complete review, please go here:
Matt
There are some grammatical issues I remember seeing. All in all though, is a story of love and magic. A good read once you get into it. Also, thought it was cool that there are some Gaelic words throughout used.
Amanda Ryan-Romo
A really breath-taking Celtic version of the Orpheus myth. One of the few books that has really brought me to tears and does every time I re-read it.
Jan
Reread. Another tale of be careful what you ask for.
Isreal
Not a huge fan of this kind of stuff...It was ok
Galadriel Johnson
An absolute wonderful mix of Sci-fy and fantasy.
Keri
I suppose the book she wrote about her life with Jim Morrison wasn't enough, so she had to ficitionalize it to get her revenge. I kept reading this expecting it to get better, but it never really did.
Darren
Darren added it
Jul 20, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Nora
Nora added it
Jun 29, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
  • The Western King (Rune Blade, #2)
  • The Shadow of Albion (Carolus Rex, #1)
  • The White Raven
  • Korval's Game (Liaden Universe #11,13)
  • The Dagger and the Cross (Alamut, #2)
  • The Bloody Sun (Darkover #17.2)
  • Merlin
  • Once Upon a Summer Day (Faery Series, #2)
  • Rhinegold
  • Bedlam's Bard (Bedlam's Bard, #1-2)
  • Deepwood (Karavans, #2)
Kennealy-Morrison was born in Brooklyn, New York and raised on Long Island.[2]

She attended St. Bonaventure University for two years, majoring in Journalism. She later transferred to Harpur College (now known as Binghamton University) where she graduated with a B.A. in English Literature in 1967. She then moved to New York City, where she worked first as a lexicographer for Macmillan Publishing, th...more
More about Patricia Kennealy-Morrison...
The Hawk's Gray Feather (The Tales of Arthur, #1) The Oak above the Kings (The Tales of Arthur, #2) The Hedge of Mist (The Tales of Arthur, #3) The Deer's Cry The Silver Branch (The Tales of Aeron, #3)