Start by marking “The Eighth Court” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Court

The Eighth Court (Courts of the Feyre #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Eighth Court has been established, but petty rivalries and old disputes threaten its stability. The mongrels that make up the court are not helping, and Blackbird enlists the help of the warders to keep the peace.

Has Blackbird bitten off more than she can chew, and can the uneasy peace between the courts continue under such tension and rivalry?
Published May 28th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighth Court

Vincent Foley
I am frankly surprised at the number of glowing reviews for this book. While I think Mr. Shevdon's writing has improved, this story was more than a bit jumpy. However, and I'm trying not to give any spoilers here, I found the ending to be truly bad. While it does end the series, it doesn't do so in anything I would call a pleasant or satisfactory fashion.
Gareth Otton
Timothy Ward
REVIEW SUMMARY: A suitable ending to a well-loved series about the secret deal between human and feyre and an average Joe who risks everything to save his home and loved ones.

MY RATING: 4 Stars

BRIEF SYNOPSIS: Powerful feyre are upset about the conclusion of Strangeness and Charm, and seek to kill everyone involved in support of a court made up of human-feyre crossbreeds. If they succeed, Earth will become a land consumed by darkness and the monsters who wield the void for evil.

MY REVIEW:
PROS: Fa
Becky
It's time for another Courts of the Feyre review!

Beware, if you've not read the earlier books there are spoilers ahead!

When we left off with Strangeness and Charm, the courts reluctantly decided to consider the eighth court as a new addition. The decision isn't unanimous and while the seventh court hasn't had an official presence in ages, everyone knows they'll be the biggest objectors. The eighth court would offer a place to all the human feyre hybrids - those like Niall and his own daughter, A
Raymond Just
I really wanted to like this installment of Shevdon's series, as the first two books were quite good. But, unfortunately, The Courts of the Feyre have taken a sharp turn into the rather dull and predictable. With most urban fantasy, the author injects modern everyday life with an infusion of the magical and the mystical, as Shevdon did with the early installments of this (now) four book series. The Eighth Court, however, reverses this formula, taking the mystical and magical and making it mundan ...more
Rachel
The Eighth Court is the fourth and final installment in Mike Shevdon’s Courts of the Feyre series and it does not disappoint.

Evenly paced with well timed action juxtaposed with interpersonal drama and political intrigue, Shevdon ties-up the loose ends and completes the Hero’s Journey not just for Niall but also for Blackbird and Alex who have always been on parallel paths with Niall but with their own distinct challenges and goals.

Elegantly constructed and artfully executed, I would love to see
Tammy
I ended this book thinking "what? no. wait, what?" not because I was confused but because I was stunned by the ending. Pleased, but stunned. I'm going to miss these characters, yes, even Dogstar, pain in the ass man though he could be. Most of all, I'm dying to know what happens now. (view spoiler) ...more
Matt
Not the best in the series. Kind of messy, and meandering, but the storylines that needed to be closed were and there was a sense of completion at the end that the series needed. Glad to have read Shevdon and will definitely check out his future efforts.
Alan
Loved the story, and the characters. But it ended with a cliff hanger, and that just pisses me off! The books before this didn't end that way, so that's why its getting a 3 star. Easy 4 star if they hadn't let it end the way it did.
John Doe
First three books were enjoyable with an interesting take on English history mixed with faerie mythology.

Book four pacing felt wrong. Acts 1 and 2 were quite drawn out and meandering. Act 3 came and went brutally fast without any real tension building-up (and most events were clearly signaled earlier so no real shock or surprise).

While i don't expect Disney "and they lived ever after" the denouement was fairly unsatisfying particularly with the final jeopardy faced by the protagonist. Very muc
Tim Gauthier
Limitless Interest

The Eighth Court marks a brilliant end to a wondrous series. I never grew tired of the plot, despite reading all 4 books in sequence; nor did I grow tired of the characters who were extremely well developed. Blackbird may be the most interesting hero I have ever met, which is a strange thing to say about a character in a story, met. Shelvdon's skill with developing characters allows us this strangeness though, to feel as though we are meeting these characters he so brilliantly
Melanie
you can read my review here

The Eighth Court is the fourth and final book in an all round excellent series. This book follows closely after Strangeness and Charm with Blackbird fighting to establish her court, the eighth court of half blood fey. The acceptance of their right to exist and to form a court has caused dissension amongst the other courts with some in favour and others against. Blackbird struggles to establish her court against her critics while
N.E. White
Paul
If you’re still reading any series by the time it has reached book four, there has to be multiple reasons why. The thing that really makes this book for me are the characters. They are so well observed and it felt like I was catching up with the old friends. Niall Petersen has come along from the directionless slacker that we first met. He has found his place amongst the Warders and has adjusted to life with Blackbird. He has found some measure of stability, as well as a purpose and a family.

In
Bookwyrm
::Sigh:: I was looking forward to this book so much with the release date on all my calendars. Writing a review for this without spoilers is difficult.

I devoured this book. The story is well written with good pacing and plenty of hints about what is to come entice the reader. We see characters we haven't seen in a while. Threads from all three previous books are brought together to form a conclusion. The bulk of the story is everything I could want or ask for from Mr. Shevdon. This series is on
Eric Boo
In the first book, Blackbird mentioned to Niall that the Warders are so dangerous, it makes Raffmir and his sister seem easy (paraphrased).

After Niall becomes a Warder, you'll see that the Warders seem like normal guards with some powers. Nothing special other than that they are Fey. It looks that the treatment of the Warders in the subsequent books do not hold up to scrutiny at all. Too much hype and then it becomes too difficult to maintain or support the hype surrounding a group of so-called
Alisha Torres
Is this the last book in the series? If it is, I'm severely dissatisfied with the ending and want more. LOL.

The abovementioned is my only "complaint" about the book, if you can call wanting more a complaint.

Again Mr. Shevdon delivered a story to rival the last. The character development amazed me in this book. The descriptions of various environments were well defined and rich. The cover art was sport on, yet again. I might also add at this point I wish the cover art in the fantasy genre could
Ade Couper
This is the final instalment in Mike Shevdon's "Courts of the Feyre" series- and it does not disappoint...

At the end of the last book, Blackbird became leader of the eighth court, created for those fey of mixed blood. However, negotiations with the other courts are not running smoothly; meanwhile what is Raffmir up to? Who is trying to steal the nails and horseshoes? And is there a traitor among the warders?

Mike Shevdon ties up all the loose ends from previous books in this final volume, as well
N
An excellent end to the series. Although hinted at in the earlier books, the founding of the Eighth Court was a nicely made solution to round off the series, whilst leaving space for (hopefully!) further books in future if the author chooses.

It would be nice to see further books that show the development of the Eighth Court in its own right, but we'll have to wait and see if those come our way!
Lex
While I greatly enjoyed the other three books in the Courts of the Feyre series, this installment seemed rushed to tie-up certain loose ends while simultaneously leaving a plethora of other unresolved points. Overall, the ending is unsatisfying, although I could MAYbe understand it if there was another book coming along at some point.
Bijay
The conclusion to "Courts of Feyre" felt something flat, somewhat bland. Even "Blackbird", the most interesting of the characters(to me) delivered very little to the plot and could not save the book, IMO. Writing is very good but overall storyline didn't do for me this time.
Lisa Henderson
I really enjoyed this book overall, however the ending was left wide open, I really hope he continues to write stories in this world. The ending left A LOT of questions that we need answer to so definitely a few more books would be wonderful
Eric
I won't say much but to agree with other reviewers: I still love the idea of this series, but this was the most predictable and bland of the four. The ending was disappointing and didn't live up to its promise.
Hugh Shannon
A little disappointing, seemed too much time spent on repetition from earlier books, the main characters have too much time spent on them with no development, minor characters aren't fleshed out enough.
The whole series seemed to miss the opportunities to explore the potential of the world created, it was limited to too few locations.
Elizabeth
Thrilling, imaginative, with an end to the series that was completely unexpected, and satisfying.
Ryan Szesny
Good pacing, good story. I am kind of sad some of my favorite characters died, but such is fiction.
My only complaint is that he ended the series with this book. Four was not enough, I want more!
Nancy
I liked the first 3 books in the series, but thus one just seemed like a repeat of the other three. Which, quite frankly, made it boring and uninteresting. The series was realty nicely wrapped up as a trilogy and should have stayed that way.
3sm3
Much less frustrating than the last one.
Rob
Excellent conclusion to a wonderful series - with just the right open end where the series could continue if need be.
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Dead Set
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • Returner's Wealth (Wyrmeweald, #1)
  • Heartwood (Elemental Wars, #1)
  • The Havoc Machine (Clockwork Empire, #4)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • A Discourse in Steel (Egil and Nix #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Aurora: Darwin (Aurora, #1)
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
Mike Shevdon lives in Bedfordshire, England, with his wife and son, where he pursues the various masteries of archery, technology, and cookery. His love of Fantasy & SF started in the 70s with C S Lewis, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov and continued through Alan Garner, Ursula Le Guin and Barbara Hambly. More recent influences include Mike Carey, Phil Rickman, Neil Gaiman, and Robert Crais, a ...more
More about Mike Shevdon...

Courts of the Feyre (4 books)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Strangeness and Charm (Courts of the Feyre, #3)
Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1) The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2) Strangeness and Charm (Courts of the Feyre, #3) Story Behind the Book : Volume 1 (Essays on Writing Speculative Fiction) VISIONARIUM 3: Zauber und Fluch