Start by marking “Das Geheimnis von Grange House” as Want to Read:
Das Geheimnis von Grange House

Das Geheimnis von Grange House

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Maisie Thomas spends every summer at Grange House, a hotel on the coast of Maine ruled by the elegant Miss Grange. In 1896, when Maisie turns 17, her visit marks a turning point. On the morning after her arrival, local fishermen make a gruesome discovery - drowned lovers, found clasped in each other's arms.

It's only the first in a series of events that casts a shadow over
Published 2001 by List (first published July 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Das Geheimnis von Grange House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Geheimnis von Grange House

Michelle
This novel is set in the late 1800's. The main character, Maisie, is a 17 year old girl from a society family. The family visits Maine each summer and stays at a manor that formely belonged to the local quarry owner. The sole remainder of the family, Nell, lives in the attic of the home and the home is managed by a housekeeper and a cook. Maisie has a special connection with Miss Grange, who was an "authoress". Nell likes to tell Maisie stories, some of which seem to be incredible tales of her o ...more
Chana
Three cases of mistaken or deliberately hidden identity, three people who die falling, three people who die drowning, three love affairs that collapse into disaster, two cases of madness, and one case of mysterious childish hand prints appearing on the walls of Grange House. Women wandering the halls at night, women speaking in riddles, a woman who lives in the attic, and a female ghost with a baby in her arms.
What is going on here you might ask? Nothing really, just a bit of wandering Victorian
Sangeeta
Lormac
To be able to get through this book, I would advise the reader to imagine that they are living in 1880s New England with Maisie Thomas. Blake seems to be trying to write a book that is not historical fiction; she is trying to actually become an author in that period. The language can be so stilted and formal, and as a reader, you can fight against it, or just give in and pretend that you are sitting in a Victorian parlor reading by the fading light through the lace curtains while the maid lights ...more
Astrid
2.5 Very well written, really, really liked it up until the end. What I thought was kind of a gothic feminist novel, turned out to have a bunch of fragile minded, hysterical women and the reasonable ones were all men. Ultimately very disappointing!
Kate
I loved this book. The prose was gorgeous, really surrounding you with this misty, back in time feeling that the cover illustrates perfectly. It's a mystery, it's a Victorian love story, it's a ghost story, and it's haunting and beautiful.
Susan
I found the beginning and end of this book the only parts worth reading. I didn't enjoy the Victorian writing style.
Nancy Oakes
very very good book. Recommended for those with lots and lots of patience who don't want just to cut to the chase.

The author of Grange House, Sarah Blake, has a degree in Victorian literature. This book is her attempt at a Victorian-period piece of writing, set in America -- both ghost story and gothic. It takes a while to get into the book, but once you're there, it is highly reminiscent of something that one of the Brontes might have written.

Grange House, a hotel, formerly the homes of the G
Amanda Caldwell
Finally, finally, FINALLY DONE!!! So glad to be finished with this book. No disrespect to the author, but this book was horrible. It was so long and drawn out. It was super dull, it couldn't hold my attention at all. The peculiar thing is, is that it has potential. Like, it could be good, it actually HAS potential. The way it was executed is what I blame for it not being good at all. First of all, the author tried to write the book as if it were actually written during The Victorian Era. It wasn ...more
Steph
Grange House is the story of Maise Thomas, a young woman at the turn of the century whose coming-of-age story begins on a seemingly normal trip to a summer vacationing house in Maine. There she is faced with anguishing hearbreak, haunting revelations, and her own female awakening. Maise's journey leads her to unearth the sins of the dead, and reclaim startling truths that will change her future.

I was glued to Grange house, both by its beautiful prose and ryhtmic storytelling which lulls the rea
Brooke
My list of major issues with this book:
Issue #1: It reminded me (too much) of my least favorite book ever, A Northern Light. Which brings me to
Issue #2: The only major difference between the two was that A Northern Light actually had an ending, while Grange House...You call that an ending? Get back to work! We don't even know who she chose! (Although my money's on Bart.) Or what Henry and Halcy were doing out on that damn lake in the first place! I'm only good with non-endings in books if the au
Mirandia Berthold
I actually picked up this book at one of the dollar stores on a random stop in while I was in high school. I was looking for a cheap read to take with me on a senior trip to check out a college.
I read the book, and started discussing it with my grandmother so she went to get a copy too and started on it. By the time I got back from my trip she had read it twice and so had I. We had great discussions about the book. There were lots of "Did you think that was coming" and "I had to read it again t
Kylie
The first time I read this book, I was enthralled. This book has an over-the-top Gothic plot. It's romantic, it's a ghost story. It's Victorian and creepy and suspenseful and interesting. It's no Jane Eyre, but it definitely aspires to be and frankly, I was happy just to read a contemporary novel that makes the attempt. I re-read this recently, and this time I did a lot of skimming since I knew what was going to happen, and the melodrama stretched my patience. Still, it is an interesting read.
Lauren Albert
I made it 100 pages and had to put it down. It is well written but as soon as the ghost stuff started, I found myself rolling my eyes. I don't give up on books very often but I couldn't bear it. I don't know if is just a matter of taste or if it was poorly done. I lean towards the latter since I found the Miss Grange character laughable in her faux mysteriousness.
Jane C.
I read this one because her latest book is getting good reviews. I guess I just don't like gothic literature, and can't really make through an entire novel written in Victorian-era language. Halfway through I tired of the constant question of whether or not what people said was true or a story, and the whole thing was just too gloomy, creepy, and depressing.
Amy
I have had this book on my shelf for years and finally dusted it off. After reading the back cover, my anticipation was renewed and I was super excited to start. After 30 pages, I was bored to death. It has such a fabulous premise, but the writing was so drawn out and flat I had no ambition to keep reading.
Marty
The truth is I did not finish it. It just seemed so over wrought and the story seemed to be going back and fourth. I always know when I am not into a book when I find other reasons not to pick it up. I read over half and do not need to see it to the end.
Michael
If it were possible I would've given this book 10 stars. Riveting and poetic, charming and chilling, this one kept me up late into the night.
Bekah
If your in the mood for a really good ghost stroy read this one!
Kay
Aug 15, 2011 Kay added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
very well written
Stacy
I could not wait to pick up this book, a story of love and ghosts. Grange House sat forever on my shelf until the right moment... Wow. Not sure why I waited so long.
My expectations were high. I was mildly disappointed.

Grange House was a little slow to get into. The beginning seemed to drag, in both content and writing. I will admit that I am not a huge fan of victorian writing; Grange House was written in the victorian writing style.

The parts of the book that I absolutely loved was the relati
Collie
I've been binging on "old-fashioned" ghost stories lately, and this was pleasent (if not very gripping), especially when read directly after the melodramatic bog of Picnic at Hanging Rock. The supernatural elements are few and far between, though, and the ~dark secrets~ hinted at endlessly are pretty standard.
The novel is bumped up to four stars, however, for two characters who are written as progressive women for their time without falling into the cliche of being third-wave feminists in perio
Linda
Blake has a masters’ degree in Victorian literature, and she wrote Grange House, her first novel, as a Victorian novel. Maisie Thomas has been spending summers at Grange House, on the coast of Maine, for years and as she returns at the beginning of this novel, she is eighteen years old and searching for who she really is. An elderly woman, Miss Grange, lives in semi-seclusion in an attic room of the boarding house, and she has taken a liking to Maisie over the years. This summer she begins to t ...more
Beth Cato
When Maisie Thomas and her family return to Grange House in 1896 for their annual summer visit, she has no clue how this particular year will change her life. The almost-spectral figure of Miss Grange invites Maisie to be part of the house's story - one fulls of ghosts, lost children, and disasters visited upon generation after generation - and Maisie runs in fear. However, fate will not let her stray far. Calamity falls upon her family, and Maisie is drawn into Miss Grange's mystery, even as tw ...more
Kirstin
Marianne
I am no English major...at first I found the style of language and the symbolism in this book hard to understand, but as I kept reading it became beautiful to me. I slowly began to see the beauty in the author's expression and the meaning behind the events. I also enjoyed this novel because of the diversity of elements it contains (romance, scary stuff, discovering oneself, etc.).
Kristin
This is a book that requires thought and rapt attention as you read. There are layers of stories being told which include mystery, ghost stories and relationships. Although written in the twentieth century, you are drawn into the Victorian era. I would recommend this book to those who love a good romance and mystery.
Sue
Fascinating book! Written in a Victorian style prose so you would know the time period of the story without being told (late 1800's)as opposed to someone writing about this period using a more modern style. It worked... I'll just say I couldn't put this one down even though it was a little slow in the middle. The plot kept thickening over and over. Just when I have the answer to one thing, she throws something else into the mix, and you think you have that figured out, and then...BAM! I could ne ...more
Bettielee
I would like to give this a 3-1/2 stars. I always think anything under a 4 star review means the book was unsatisfactory, and that's not the case. It's main fault is that the beginning starts out so very slow, and the endless parade of half-hints that had me thinking I had missed something. A very twisty-twiney plot with good characterization (almost too good, I often wanted to reach through the pages and strangle the crap out of them). I don't feel the paranormal events were satisfactorily conc ...more
  • Captivity
  • The Haunting of Maddy Clare
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • Daphne
  • The Ghost Orchid
  • The Glass of Time (The Meaning of Night, #2)
Sarah taught high school and college English for many years in Colorado and New York. She has taught fiction workshops at the Fine Arts Works Center in Provincetown, MA, The Writer’s Center, in Bethesda MD, The University of Maryland, and The George Washington University. She lives in Washington DC with her husband, the poet Joshua Weiner, and their two sons.

More about Sarah Blake...
The Postmistress

“A woman will be loved...in proportion as she makes those around her happy...” 4 likes
“All love stories beget ghost stories.” 2 likes