3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  13 reviews
TO ORDER GO TO: http://rustbeltchic.bigcartel.com Rust Belt Chic: The Cleveland Anthology, edited by Richey Piiparinen and Anne Trubek, provides an inside-out snapshot of the city, containing contributions by established authors such as Connie Schultz, Michael Ruhlman and David Giffels as well as 47 others. Rust Belt Chic tells stories about failure (mills closing), confli...more
Published September 10th 2012 by Rust Belt Chic Press (first published August 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Rust Belt Chic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rust Belt Chic

K.
The quality of essays is varied and I found myself vacillating between agreement and annoyance, but for me the overall effect of Rust Belt Chic was one of quiet endearment. I didn't find myself getting as much pleasure out of reading the collected essays as I did in placing them in conversation with my own experiences and memories, but that seemed in line with the collection's efforts to draw an emotional geography of Cleveland and its suburbs.
Amy
Perhaps I should rate this without comment as I am a newcomer to the Rust Belt. While I don't live in Cleveland, I visit often and have started to make friends there. I read this to get a perspective on the area through a literary lens. It did not fail in that regard. I particularly enjoyed the sections "History", "Conflict", and "Back Home".
Kathy Stone
This anthology of all that is Cleveland, Ohio is a wonderfully curated read through contemporary journalism. The writers of these essays have all lived in Cleveland at one time or another and many still reside within her metropolitan borders. I know it is hard to conceive that Cleveland was ever a booming metropolis. After all it could never be New York or Los Angelos, but once upon a time industry thrived in this snowy city. The various writers tell about the history and culture that awaits any...more
Judie
RUST BELT CHIC: The Cleveland Anthology, is a collection of thirty four essays, seven photographs, two poems, and a comic book segment conceptualized, compiled and published within three months in the summer of 2012. The e-book has about a dozen additional chapters. At the end are brief biographies of the contributors.
After hearing a lot of talk about the revitalization of Cleveland, the editors, Richey Piiparinen and Anne Trubek, decided to let people who live or lived in Cleveland (or, in a...more
Carole
This book is a compilation of stories from people who actually live here or did at one time. I grew up here and moved back with trepidation and stayed reluctantly. While I lived other places, I waxed wistful for the smoke streaming out of the steel mill chimneys and the roll up your sleeves work ethic of Cleveland. I still admire our industriousness but I admit I stay reluctantly.

Which is why it's easy for me to relate to the smack downs in some of the stories, the truths of what it's really li...more
Philip Turner
First, I am among the 35 contributors to this book, with an essay, "Remembering Mr. Stress, Live at the Euclid Tavern." Stress, a talented singer, bandleader, and harmonica player, was a venerable bluesman whom I followed avidly for many years when I lived in Cleveland. While my praise of this book could be seen as log-rolling for it, I honestly found it to be a terrific book, lending all sorts of new and useful perspectives on urban life. Before receiving my contributor copy, I had not read any...more
Davey
I'm not from here (Cleveland) but I have already developed an affinity for it. So have lots of people. In the words of one (african american) author in the book, these people are mostly white, are at least partially monied, and are crazy. This book tells their stories. It's where the plaid fad, the love of PBR, and the obnoxious facial hair came from. (Maybe not the hair). Lots of stories, mostly well-told. Dug it.
Michael
An amazing collection of stories sharing the true beauty of Cleveland that many outsiders, and to be honest many born and raised Clevelanders, cannot look past the dirt, grime and rust to appreciate. This book will find a home on my coffee table to be shared with anyone and everyone.
Jim
incredibly uneven set of essays — mostly trending towards the mediocre (at best). weirdly, though, the effect of the whole on my rust-belt brain was compelling and collectively established an interesting narrative about authenticiy, wealth, urbanity and rust.
Brad Hayes

Although I happen to know several of the authors whose work appears in this anthology, I feel like I know them all -- these are my people.
Katie
I don't read a lot of short stories, but I enjoyed this.
Debbie Morris
A Must-Read for all Clevelanders!
Kathleen Harris
Kathleen Harris marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jim Hribar
Jim Hribar marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sheehan Hannan
Sheehan Hannan is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Fred Bear
Fred Bear marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Ryan Collins
Ryan Collins is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Skullcrusher Manor
Skullcrusher Manor marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Pete
Pete added it
Apr 10, 2014
Feebee
Feebee marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014