Start by marking “Kicking It (Alex Craft, #2.5; Chicagoland Vampires, #8.25)” as Want to Read:
Kicking It (Alex Craft, #2.5; Chicagoland Vampires, #8.25)

Kicking It (Alex Craft #2.5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,261 ratings  ·  183 reviews
Featuring stories by FAITH HUNTER * KALAYNA PRICE * RACHEL CAINE * CHLOE NEILL * ROB THURMAN * SHANNON K. BUTCHER * LUCIENNE DIVER * CHRIS MARIE GREEN * CHRISTINA HENRY

New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine has modern-day potions witches Holly and Andrew facing off against a firebrand politician who wears literally killer boots in a Texas-sized rodeo of trouble.

Boo
Published December 3rd 2013 by Roc Trade

To ask other readers questions about Kicking It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kicking It

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
only read:

High Stakes by Chloe Neill - 4 ★'s

I really enjoyed getting more Luc and Lindsey...it's been a long time coming.

We get to learn more about Lindsey's past which was really interesting especially the flower girls.

My favorite part was Luc and the boots! ♥

Favorite quotes:

♦ “Grape sanctity,” Merit whispered. “Sounds like the name of the world’s worst sacramental wine.”

♥ “I can’t shake you, Linds. As much as you push me away, I can’t shake you. I don’t want to shake you. I want you—all
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)

This was a good novella, especially if you like your books action packed and full of kick ass heroines with a leather fetish, luckily I lap that stuff up. I was also pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed nearly all of the stories in this anthology, some I did like more than others, but generally I now have a few more series to add to my reading lists.

Forked Tongues Rachel Caine

This anthology kicks off with a bang with Rachel Caine's Forked Tongues, although I haven't really read any Rachel Caine
Komal
High Stakes: Chloe Neill has hinted at a Luc & Lindsey story for quite some time now, and with this little novella, she delievers a short and sweet little foray into their lives. These two have so much history and passion and watching them interact with one another with such gentleness and love was amazing. I've loved Lindsey from the start but in this story, I fell in love with Luc. The mystery was also quite intriguing as it dwelled into Lindsey's past. Overall, if you're a fan of the CLV ...more
Catarina Szelsky †
Jan 13, 2013 Catarina Szelsky † marked it as to-read
I'll only read this because of Chloe Neill's short story about Lindsey and Luc from The Chicagoland Vampires.
Elizabeth
Luc/Lindsey short story!!!!!!!!!!!
Rose Montague
Most anthologies have both good and not so good stories. This one is the exception in that the range is from pretty darn good to fabulous. The other thing I like about this anthology was the length of the stories. They all had some meat on the bones, enough to let the stories develop. I was fortunate to have read a few of these authors before and I am a big fan of Faith Hunter, Rachel Caine, and Kaylayna Price and have read a little from Rob Thurman and Chloe Neil. The four I have not read befor ...more
Pauline
The theme in this collection of stories is magical shoes, boots or other footwear with a special story to them. There were magical stilettos, boots that would not come off without a price, and in some cases, just something to snare a worthy mark. The short stories were beautifully told and a pleasure to read.

Faith Hunter and Kalayna Price did an excellent job of selecting and weaving together the wonderful tales from authors who each write from well established worlds, making the individual shor
Jenni
Mar 18, 2013 Jenni marked it as to-read
18/3-13: I'm adding this to my tbr-pile because of Chloe Neill and the Luc/Lindsey's story *squeal* and *yeeha* LOL
Here is a short teaser that Chloe posted on her website:
And then he pulled his best cowboy move, putting a hand around my waist and whipping me against him. He smiled cockily down at me. “I’m not afraid of your issues, Linds.”

And I'm also curious about Rachel Caine's story *TMV-fan here xD*
Jaymie
I've come to enjoy these types of anthologies for a couple of reasons. I love seeing how writers with sometimes wildly different writing styles and worldviews deal with a common theme. The new paths their thoughts take you down is a journey you don't want to miss. The other great thing is being able to explore new authors and some of their favorite characters through the short story window provided in this context.

The common theme, as you may have guessed from the title, is footwear...with a pr
Mary
This is how a short story collection should be done! It took me three or four stories, but I finally figured out the theme of the book -- Shoes... and who doesn't like shoes?

Almost every one of these stories was entertaining and kept your interest. Each story forwarded/supported the series they were taken from. I even found a new author I want to try. I really enjoyed the majority of this collection.

The only downside is that every story is a part of a larger series. If you have not read the seri
Marta Cox
Well this is a fabulous opportunity to sample the collected talents of some of the best authors of urban fantasy around today. This little gem contains short stories by best selling authors that are a delight to read. These tales whilst by nature short pack a punch. Each one is filled with madness and mayhem done in a kick ass style by heroines who take girl power to the extreme! A collection of supernatural stories with the women large and in charge!
From witches to demons, from Gods to shoe obs
Jonetta
Stolen Goods by Shannon K. Butcher
Blacksmith Matthew Brighton wants to hire mercenary Simone Solange to help him retrieve a special hammer the Fractogasts are using to construct a portal. Once complete, the portal will allow more of these destructive creatures entry and it will be the beginning of the end for humanity. Simone is all business with her leathers and magical red boots. Matthew has his own skills as she learns when she accompanies him on the assignment.

This story revved up really q
Marianne
I bought this book because I wanted to read Christina Henry's novella about Maddie Black and her troubled relationship to her grandad.
Maddie kicked ass as usual, wouldn't expect anything less:-)
Will probably read the other novellas as well, at some point.
Paige
The basis for this anthology is kick-ass heroines. I actually was planning to buy this but won it from Goodreads (go me!). I am a fan of several of the authors so how could this go wrong?
Most of the stories were fantastic and hit the mark; one or two, not so much.

Forked Tongues by Rachel Caine—
I’m a Rachel Caine fan. She was one of the reasons this anthology was on my list.
Ms. Caine’s contribution is another Holly & Andy story. To be honest, Holly and Andy are just ok for me. The first sto
Melindeeloo
I am an anthology nut so I liked Kicking It. This has nine kickin' stories involving footwear of some significance from a fair number of my favorite UF authors, most set in the worlds of their series. I admit that I was a bit biased toward those connected shorts - probably because I brought a fair bit of knowledge of those worlds/characters with me into those stories and could focus on the action. A quick rundown...

Forked Tongues - Rachel Caine - I believe this is Caine's third story starring re
Tori [Bottles of Summer]
Lots of awesome stories to read! Individual reviews and ratings below. Overall, I loved this anthology and I wish that most of the stories were longer. Still, I have no complaints about brevity affecting quality, which is a first with an anthology for me.

Rachel Caine, "Forked Tongues" -- 4/5
Caine was one of the first authors I read pre-blogging. While I found the Weather Warden series to be awesome, later books did have a tendency to get a bit repetitive (so I couldn't really binge on the latter
Shawnie Nicole
Honest Review no spoilers - Netgalley

Every story in KICKING IT features a heroine from several different authors. They kick ass, take names, save lives, and don't wait for thank you(s). I haven't read any books from five of the nine authors, so I was very interested in testing the waters and seeing if I liked the work of said authors. I will not review all of the stories, but I hags picked four of them to give you a look into the books.

1. Shannon K. Butcher - STOLEN GOODS
I was pleasantly surpri
Sharon
The flock knows I am a big urban fantasy fan. I love a heroine that kicks butt, takes names and scores the hot hero, eventually. This is urban fantasy and ain't nothing easy for the heroine. I was excited to check out this anthology because I have only read a few of the authors and this was a chance to test drive some others. All the stories center around the author's ass kicking heroine and boots. The stories ranged from 3.5 Sheep to 4.5 Sheep, and the ratings have more to do with my personal p ...more
Dr susan
Kicking It is an anthology which means to review it fairly, I should write a review for each short story....nine shorts, nine reviews? Not gonna happen. I do not wear heels, stiletto or otherwise, but even I love the look of a good boot.
I did not read Henry's Red Isn't Really My Color because I have lost all patience with her Black Wings series.
All of the other stories are entertaining. Caine's Forked Tongues brings back Holly and Andrew, a poignant witch couple with a twist. Holly and Andrew al
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
*My rating is based on Linds and Luc's story.

HIGH STAKES (Chicagoland Vampires #8.5) by Chloe Neill
I have been waiting for this since I read Some Girls Bite about 3 or 4 years ago? A part of me is angry because it was only one short-story and it's not like they get much time in the actual books, but I'm also glad it was short because dragging Lindsay's issues with commitment for longer would have been overkill. At the same time, in a full-lenght novel Neill could have explored Lindsay's backgrou
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Traci (Mad Hatter Reads)
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Source: I received an e-Copy via the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What I love about anthologies is they give me a little taste of the series world to tide me over until the next major series installment is released. Kicking It provides just that with perfect little tastes of some of my favorite Urban Fantasy series…and did I mention that each story centers around something near and dear to my heart? That’s right, each one features BOOTS in all of their glorio
Melissa
Kicking It! is really a wonderful collection of stories. The best part about collections is that it takes you back to some of your favorites and introduces you to new friends.
The stories included in this collection are:

"Forked Tongues" by Rachel Caine
"Stolen Goods" by Shannon K. Butcher
"The Girl with No Name" by Chris Marie Green
"The Devil's Left Boot" by Faith Hunter
"High Stakes" by Chloe Neill
"The Parlor" by Lucienne Driver
"Red Isn't Really My Color" by Christina Henry
"Snakeskin" by Rob Thurm
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
I only read High Stakes by Chloe Neill.

High Stakes is a story featuring Merit’s vampire best friend and fellow protector of the Cadogan House, Lindsey.

Lindsey gets a visit from her past life she lived during roaring 20s in the alcohol prohibition. Lindsey was a free loving flipper gal in the middle of mobster gang warfare in New York. It’s great to see some of Lindsey’s past since she is very closed mouth about her vampire youth and she is very afraid to commit to Luc, the hunky cowboy vampire o
Beckey
A collection of interesting and great short stories by some wonderful authors. Some I knew before and some are new to me, one reason I like getting books like this. The only downside that I can truly say are that they are short and some will have you wanting to read more as well as it make it hard for me as reviewer to write out a synopsis of each of the story cause I know that I will end up being a spoiler.
I liked the theme of each story was about some sort of magical or special boots…may be n
Ronda
CHLOE NEILL - CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES - 4 STARS
*********************************************

Fabulous - A story from our very own Cadagon Vampire Lindsay and how her past swiftly catches up with her. We finally see something in this short story that I've waited to see for a long time and I'm glad she's finally done this!!!

Just makes me 'thirsty' for some more Chicagoland Vamps!!
So, I Read This Book Today
Rachel Caine (author) Shannon K. Butcher (author) Rob Thurman (author) Faith Hunter (author) Chris Marie Green (author) Chloe Neill (author) Lucienne Diver (author) Kalayna Price (author) Christina Henry (author)

I love anthologies. Really love them. What a great way to learn about new authors, and pick up shorts by authors we love?

In Kicking It I got to enjoy some old favorites, but I also got to read some authors I wasn’t aware of, or whose stories I haven’t had a chance to enjoy. All the stori
Cathy
A very good anthology overall. I enjoyed most of the stories quite a bit, even those that weren't from authors I knew well or about characters that I was familiar with.

Rachel Caine - Forked Tongues - Holly and Andrew stories are always pretty good, but this one was the best so far. The way they were being persecuted for being witches was haunting, the burning crosses were upsetting to read about. Their neighbor's reaction was quite moving. As for the action part of the story, I didn't really un
All Things Urban Fantasy
KICKING IT offers intriguing glimpses into nine unique urban fantasy worlds, with sassy heroines and magical missions and enough of an adventure that I want to come back for more. Some of these series were familiar, some completely new to me, but all were entertaining and well put together.

Picking favorites in this anthology is like picking the cutest puppy out of a litter. I loved Chris Marie Green’s “The Girl With No Name”, Rachel Cain’s “Forked Tongues” made me wonder why I hadn’t read about
Darcy
This review is only bases on the stories by the following stories

Shannon K. Butcher - I normally really like this author, but this story didn't do it for me. I felt like I was missing something like the back story. I ended up not finishing it.

Faith Hunter - I love the world of Jane Yellowrock, so was happy to see this story was set in it, but was surprised it held more of the Everhart sisters. I knew there were bad feelings between the sister/witches and Jane due to what happened. I liked that t
Extraordinary Anthology 8 16 Dec 29, 2013 12:31AM
  • Howling For You (Chicagoland Vampires, #8.5)
  • Untitled (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Easy Pickings
  • Courts of the Fey
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Kiss of Venom  (Elemental Assassin, #8.5)
  • A Cursed Moon (Weird Girls, #2.5)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series is dark urban fantasy, featuring Jane Yellowrock, a full blooded Cherokee and hunter of rogue-vampires. Jane Yellowrock is a shape changer (shapeshifter) in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

A ne
More about Faith Hunter...

Alex Craft (5 books)
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Untitled (Alex Craft, #5)
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)