Venice (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #2)

Venice (Tom Swan and the Head of St George #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Product Description
1450s France. A young Englishman, Tom Swan, is kneeling in the dirt, waiting to be killed by the French who've taken him captive.

He's not a professional soldier. He's really a merchant and a scholar looking for remnants of Ancient Greece and Rome - temples, graves, pottery, fabulous animals, unicorn horns. But he also has a real talent for ending up in t...more
Published September 20th 2012 by Orion (first published September 1st 2012)

Liviu
Published today, bought it and read it on the spot; slightly longer then the first installment, but with less set-up, all action so even a faster read; Rome, Venice, the sea and Constantinople 6 months after the fall, nasty noblemen, Jewish teachers, daring (or foolish) acts, pirates, Turkish warlords and of course the inaccessible (and highly inadvisable to fall for) girl...

All in a superb adventure that ends on a cliffhanger for once so volume 3 is another asap

FBC Rv:

The land of France becomin...more
Robin Carter
For the sake of up front honesty i have to post that I'm a HUGE fan of Christian Cameron's books.

The reason for this is that he is the best writer in the historical fiction genre, probably the finest writer i have ever read.

There was a comment recently where it was said he writes for re-enactors, I disagree, i think he writes with the knowledge of a historian and the experience of a re-enactor.
This brings the story to life in a much more real fashion... don't take my word for it, ask all the his...more
Matt Heppe
An outstanding continuation of Tom Swan's adventures. Longer, with more action, it was an exciting ride. It is a serialized novel and leaves you wanting more. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Simon Turney
I was hit by the freshness and difference of the first Tom Swan installment after the general available array of somewhat serious, dark historical fiction. I had wondered whether a second installment might not live up to the first as it would lose something of that 'new' feeling. I was wrong.

After a brief mental dragging through my memory to do a quick 'Last week on Tom Swan..." I launched straight into it and started thoroughly enjoying it straight away. What the second part loses in novelty, i...more
Michael Puttre
Italy finds Tom Swan recovering his swagger after the humiliations suffered in the wake of being on the losing side in the Battle of Castillon. In Rome, the former captive is finding his footing in the retinue of the French Cardinal who saw more then meets the eye in the Englishman.
Other reviewers have commented on author Christian Cameron’s ease with period details, so I’ll only add that they are astonishing. You read historical novels like O’Brien’s “Master and Commander” series and you accep...more
Chris
Tom Swan part 2.
In part 1 we saw the beginning of the adventures of Tom Swan and his journey through France, starting from a man alone with only his life and his wits left in the aftermath of the curshing defeat of the English forces in the 100 years war at Castillion, towards his entrance in the retinue of cardial Bessarion, a powerful prelate fo the curie whose riches have gone to ground in the fall of Constantinople.
In part 2 we see Tom and his pals from the retinue, Alessandro the noble s...more
Robert Gallasch
Another wonderful and entertaining tale of historical adventure by Christian Cameron. With each chapter in this engrossing saga, it just gets better and better. The characters come alive in this richly detailed and colorful first person view of late medieval Venice and Constantinople. Tom Swan, a young Englishman struggling to make his way in a dangerous world of swordsmen, archers, nobles, mercenaries, churchmen, spies and merchant princes, leads us on an adventure through unexpected places and...more
Mrs Johnnie Tate
And Mr. Cameron's mostly believable short stories feathering Tom Swan keep the action rolling. These are fun to read as well. Enjoyed this book and directly headed on to the next.
NOTE! Read in ONE day!
Barry

This eSerial just keeps getting better and better. Tom travels from Rome to Venice to Constantinople.
Philip Berghan-whyman
The second part of a great little serial. Medieval adventures as they ought to be. Just starting the third part now.
Seamus O'Griffin
Great read! Very entertaining. Have read all of the series so far and look forward to each new publication.
Christine
Well Tom is still in trouble, but somehow gets out of it ... is adventure contineus
Splodygirl
Splodygirl marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Johnny Linehan
Johnny Linehan marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Johnny Linehan
Johnny Linehan marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Carmelero
Carmelero marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
james Dean
james Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aka Miles Cameron. Also publishes as Gordon Kent with his father Kenneth M. Cameron.

Christian Cameron was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1962. He grew up in Rockport, Massachusetts, Iowa City, Iowa,Christian Cameron and Rochester, New York, where he attended McQuaid Jesuit High School and later graduated from the University of Rochester with a degree in history.

After the longest undergraduate...more
More about Christian Cameron...
Tyrant (Tyrant, #1) Killer of Men (Long War, #1) Marathon: Freedom or Death (Long War, #2) Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2) God of War