Start by marking “Venice (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #2)” as Want to Read:
Venice (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #2)

Venice (Tom Swan and the Head of St George #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Venice: part two of a fast-paced serialised novel set in the turbulent Europe of the fifteenth century.

A young Englishman, Tom Swan, travels to Italy in the bodyguard of a Cardinal. He finds it a different world. Food is delicious, women are beautiful, men are quick to make friends and quick to draw knives. Swan likes it, and dives into the politics and the plotting, the a
Published September 20th 2012 by Orion (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Venice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Venice

Published today, bought it and read it on the spot; slightly longer then the first installment, but with less set-up, all action so even a faster read; Rome, Venice, the sea and Constantinople 6 months after the fall, nasty noblemen, Jewish teachers, daring (or foolish) acts, pirates, Turkish warlords and of course the inaccessible (and highly inadvisable to fall for) girl...

All in a superb adventure that ends on a cliffhanger for once so volume 3 is another asap

The land of France becomin
Simon Turney
I was hit by the freshness and difference of the first Tom Swan installment after the general available array of somewhat serious, dark historical fiction. I had wondered whether a second installment might not live up to the first as it would lose something of that 'new' feeling. I was wrong.

After a brief mental dragging through my memory to do a quick 'Last week on Tom Swan..." I launched straight into it and started thoroughly enjoying it straight away. What the second part loses in novelty, i
Tom Swan part 2.
In part 1 we saw the beginning of the adventures of Tom Swan and his journey through France, starting from a man alone with only his life and his wits left in the aftermath of the curshing defeat of the English forces in the 100 years war at Castillion, towards his entrance in the retinue of cardial Bessarion, a powerful prelate fo the curie whose riches have gone to ground in the fall of Constantinople.
In part 2 we see Tom and his pals from the retinue, Alessandro the noble s
Robin Carter
For the sake of up front honesty i have to post that I'm a HUGE fan of Christian Cameron's books.

The reason for this is that he is the best writer in the historical fiction genre, probably the finest writer i have ever read.

There was a comment recently where it was said he writes for re-enactors, I disagree, i think he writes with the knowledge of a historian and the experience of a re-enactor.
This brings the story to life in a much more real fashion... don't take my word for it, ask all the his
Matt Heppe
An outstanding continuation of Tom Swan's adventures. Longer, with more action, it was an exciting ride. It is a serialized novel and leaves you wanting more. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Michael Puttre
Italy finds Tom Swan recovering his swagger after the humiliations suffered in the wake of being on the losing side in the Battle of Castillon. In Rome, the former captive is finding his footing in the retinue of the French Cardinal who saw more then meets the eye in the Englishman.
Other reviewers have commented on author Christian Cameron’s ease with period details, so I’ll only add that they are astonishing. You read historical novels like O’Brien’s “Master and Commander” series and you accep
Pedro Marroquín
Estupenda continuación a esta serie de relatos cortos (y no tan cortos, que según dice Amazon han sido 240 páginas). Donde hay de todo, sexo, duelos, batallas navales, y por fin sabemos quién es el protagonista, porque sabe tanto, y a que se va a dedicar a buscar en estos relatos. Roma, Venecia, Constantinopla 6 meses después de su caída, piratas del Mar Egeo, mujeres imposibles....
Robert Gallasch
Another wonderful and entertaining tale of historical adventure by Christian Cameron. With each chapter in this engrossing saga, it just gets better and better. The characters come alive in this richly detailed and colorful first person view of late medieval Venice and Constantinople. Tom Swan, a young Englishman struggling to make his way in a dangerous world of swordsmen, archers, nobles, mercenaries, churchmen, spies and merchant princes, leads us on an adventure through unexpected places and ...more
Enjoyed Swan's travels in the second installment of Cameron's St George series. This one ends on a cliffhanger, though. I don't know why Amazon says this has 240 pages when it's a 75 page short story.
Fast, fun and engaging. Loving it
Mrs Johnnie Tate
And Mr. Cameron's mostly believable short stories feathering Tom Swan keep the action rolling. These are fun to read as well. Enjoyed this book and directly headed on to the next.
NOTE! Read in ONE day!

This eSerial just keeps getting better and better. Tom travels from Rome to Venice to Constantinople.
Philip Berghan-Whyman
The second part of a great little serial. Medieval adventures as they ought to be. Just starting the third part now.
Seamus O'Griffin
Great read! Very entertaining. Have read all of the series so far and look forward to each new publication.
3,5 stars, leaning towards 4 stars.
Diego Lezama
Diego Lezama marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Zdnap marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • Brother's Fury (Bleeding Land Trilogy #2)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • The Advocate's Dilemma
  • I, Lucifer (Modesty Blaise, #3)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)
  • The Caspian Gates (Warrior of Rome, #4)
  • Treason's Tide  (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)
  • Clash of Empires: The Great Siege
Aka Miles Cameron. Also publishes as Gordon Kent with his father Kenneth M. Cameron.

Christian Cameron was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1962. He grew up in Rockport, Massachusetts, Iowa City, Iowa,Christian Cameron and Rochester, New York, where he attended McQuaid Jesuit High School and later graduated from the University of Rochester with a degree in history.

After the longest undergraduate
More about Christian Cameron...

Tom Swan and the Head of St George (6 books)
  • Castillon (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #1)
  • Constantinople (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #3)
  • Rome (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #4)
  • Rhodes (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #5)
  • Chios (Tom Swan and the Head of St George, #6)