Start by marking “The Hot Flash Club” as Want to Read:
The Hot Flash Club

The Hot Flash Club (Hot Flash Club #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  3,065 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews

Meet Faye, Marilyn, Alice, and Shirley. Four women with skills, smarts, and s
Published December 30th 2003 by Ballantine Books

Fiona
Sep 22, 2008 Fiona rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those seeking the lightest read possible
While I usually prefer more serious fiction, every now and then I like to relax with some fun chick lit. Some of it is excellent, incisive, insightful, and even well written in some cases.

This is none of those things. It's just fluffy nonsense and as easily forgotten as an ice cream. I was half way through before I realised I had even read it before. I can't remember what I thought of it first time round, but this time I found it poorly written, poorly constructed, with poor characterisation, fu
Mary
Jul 09, 2012 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
I have read Thayer books and enjoyed them BUT this one just did not capture my interest. I am almost finished with it and this morning decided "why bother"? I found myself not really caring what happened to ANY of the characters. So, I am placing it on my DISCARDED shelf and cannot recommend it.
Antof9
Review from BookCrossing: I read this on the plane on a business trip to New Jersey, and now it's back on DMA7's desk, waiting to be sent to the BCer who was interested in it :) (long story, but it boils down to this -- I only take books on trips that I can release or give to someone on the other end. I don't want to take them back home with me once I've read them. So I brought an envelope and stamps with me, knowing I'd finish that book this trip, and then never got close to packing tape or a m ...more
Barbara
Dec 11, 2016 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I wondered about its hot pink cover and needed a little humor. I'm in the middle of reading some other pretty heavy books and considering the results of the recent election I felt I needed something really really light.

It started out OK. A group of women meet and discover they have in common the "joys" of female aging. I was laughing as I recognized myself in some of their comments on their bodies and figured I might enjoy this.

Not much. The four decide they will meet
Peg
Jun 13, 2010 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Women of a certain age" will definitely identify with the woes of the females in this book. I bought it because I loved Beachcombers, Thayer's most recent work. This book's plot intrigued me. It takes place in Boston, a city I'm familar with and is about a diverse group of women struggling to accept aging and the career and relationship changes that often accompany the process. I appreciate the proactive way the characters deal with their woes and the general air of positivity throughout.

It mu
Susan
Nov 06, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having just finished reading a Michael Chabon novel, I initially, found the characters and plot of The Hot Flash Club to be 'trite'. Women forming such friendship bonds so quickly? I don't think so. A university professor leaving her research to act as a secretary to spy for the friend she met the day before? Most unliklely.
I was doubtful that I could finish it. I persevered (I can not start to read a book and not finish it!) and by the end I didn't loath it. But I won't be buying the sequels.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Apr 30, 2010 JoAnn/QuAppelle rated it really liked it
Sometimes all I ask of a book is that it entertain me for a few hours. I do not always need fine writing or realistic developments. Improbable is sometimes okay!

That being said, I really enjoyed spending a couple of days with these ladies "of a certain age". They were fun and interesting and had (mostly) real problems and issues - even if the author did allow them to solve their problems too conveniently! I am always glad to read about women who develop and treasure friendships as much as I do.
Jan
Jul 11, 2015 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm so glad this book was well-punctuated and displayed proper syntax or I might have had nothing good to say about it. Is it cute? Maybe. Is it full of predictable scenarios and cliched characters? Absolutely. Is it engaging? Not in the least. And my friend loaned me the next three books in the series. My concern is this: Do I skim them and lie and say they were fun? Or tell the truth? I am glad my friend reads--something I never would have guessed about her. I am sorry she pressed all four Hot ...more
Amy
Jan 17, 2009 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession. When I picked this up to read, I realized that I'd tried to read it once before and it didn't grab me then. Despite its absolutely wonderful title, it still doesn't grab me. I even waited and tried it again when I was "of an age" with the characters. Nope. Didn't work. Yet I know there are devoted fans out there. I still can't put my finger on what exactly I don't like. I've learned that some chick lit can be fun but this wasn't fun for me. My girlfriends and I live a funnie ...more
Sherri
Oct 20, 2013 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a 54 year old woman I had a lot of laughs with this book. Yes there are some parts that are unbelievable but this is chic lit at it's finest as far as I am concerned. I just picked up the audio book for a light book after reading 2 heavy ones and now I am going back for the sequels! Sometimes we just need to be entertained and these ladies did it for me!
Charity Jackson
Oct 16, 2014 Charity Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok...so I may not be menopausal, but I still enjoyed this book. I guess because it was not only informative of what may come, but also of the hope and change that it brings in its wake. I know one thing is for certain. Friends make it a whole lot easier!
Ida
Nov 18, 2010 Ida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, light book...the power of friendship is mighty!
Kathy-Diane
Oct 17, 2008 Kathy-Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun light read as winter drags its heels.
Jean
Jul 28, 2016 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Sue said...enjoyable, fun read... little too perfect at the end and good discussion, led by Sue, about aging.
Beth Shorten
May 28, 2017 Beth Shorten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read...great for beach reading...and onto The Hot Flash Club Chills Out over coffee on the deck. (If you're looking for profound literature...this isn't it, but if you're looking for a fun read on the deck with coffee or the porch with a wine spritzer, this could be your book).
Gail B Perry
Jan 31, 2017 Gail B Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

The characters were sympathetic and real ( I've known them all. ) for women of an age there's a really good message here-not only are you not teetering at deaths door, but the best part of your life might just be starting.
Monica
May 09, 2017 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt as if I were reading Nancy Drew if she grew into a miserable old woman, obsessed with sex and how she looked. I'm glad I have friends who learned something while they were growing older, and who can enjoy the gifts of maturity and time.
KATHY HORA
Feb 21, 2017 KATHY HORA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story

Positive and light , easy reading. The kind of book you could spend the day on the couch with - and enjoy every minute of it.
Marita
Mar 19, 2017 Marita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. Can't wait to read the next book
Carolyn Haley
Apr 17, 2011 Carolyn Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Readers Roundtable review of this book:

In many respects, The Hot Flash Club by Nancy Thayer is chick-lit for the over-forty crowd. It’s also more—a literary melange of sassy, edgy, somber, enlightening, adventurous, funny, sad, and hopeful womanhood.

It is indisputably a woman’s book, although men could profit from reading it (many mysteries of the opposite sex will be explained!). It should appeal most intensely to older women, who will find all or part of themselves in the four characters; a
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY
From the bestselling author of "Between Husbands and Friends" and "An Act of Love" comes a wise, wonderful, and delightfully witty "coming of age" novel about four intrepid women who discover themselves as they were truly meant to be: passionate, alive, and ready to face the best years of their lives.
Meet Faye, M
Jennifer Morefield
I thought this was a cute romance about women who are older but still want to enjoy full lives. The 4 who have formed this club are in their 50s and 60s. They have different backgrounds but are able to help one another learn information or achieve goals. They become fast friends and while helping each other, they help themselves. I am very like to read the other 2 books in the trilogy. It's a bit of a fluff read, but I find that entertaining.
Sandra
Aug 23, 2011 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ANOTHER GOOD ONE....

OVERVIEW: From the bestselling author of Between Husbands and Friends and An Act of Love comes a wise, wonderful, and delightfully witty “coming of age” novel about four intrepid women who discover themselves as they were truly meant to be: passionate, alive, and ready to face the best years of their lives.

Monkeyface
Apr 05, 2014 Monkeyface rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to The Hot Flash Club (Hot Flash Club #1)by Nancy Thayer. Meet Faye, Marilyn, Alice, and Shirley. Four women with skills, smarts, and secrets—all feeling over the hill and out of the race. But in a moment of delicious serendipity, they meet and realize they share more than raging hormones and lost dreams. Now as the Hot Flash Club, where the topics of motherhood, sex, and men are discussed with double servings of chocolate cake, they vow to help each other . . . and themselves.
Faye, th
Erica
Feb 23, 2017 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it - to my surprise!
Jill Dube
Feb 19, 2017 Jill Dube rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IT'S ABOUT TIME

Finally books about women who have lived life. I was beginning to think that authors think women over 50 disappeared! And what great examples. Faye,Shirley, Alice and Marilyn are great examples of real women with life left in them to face life and its problems GO LADIES!!!
Mary Lou
Feb 19, 2017 Mary Lou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Older chick-lit; smutty and not real wrap up at the end.
Kim
The Hot Flash Club
Well this is not only chick lit, but it's old-chick lit. Not my favorite genre. This was a silly, fluffy book. I read junk (a lot of it as a matter of fact, because I use it for stress relief), but my version of junk are mysteries. This was actually a book on tape and my choices at the library were limited, so I ended up with this. The story is 4 'older' women (55-62) who meet and become friends and come up with semi-insane methods to help solve each one's major problem. One is
Carol Campbell
An interesting, light read. There are a few things that don't quite fit with the overall story but all-in-all a pleasant way to pass an afternoon.
Marcia
Feb 10, 2017 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connections

You know that person, who knows that person... So four women meet, bond, plan... Add a wedding or two, a divorce, an affair (or two) and its a crazy plot about lives. Worthy read.
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • Summer Blowout
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • Until The Real Thing Comes Along
  • Mine Are Spectacular!
  • Suddenly
  • Amazing Gracie
  • Julie and Romeo Get Lucky
  • Taste of Honey (Carson Springs, #2)
  • The Summer Of Us
  • A Family Christmas
  • Swimming Lessons
  • Catching Genius
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
More about Nancy Thayer...

Hot Flash Club (4 books)