Start by marking “Farewell, Great King” as Want to Read:
Farewell, Great King

Farewell, Great King

A novel of Ancient Greece. This is Walsh's first adult novel.
Admirable is the one word that comes to mind concerning this novel of the 5th century BCE Athenian statesman and naval tactician, Themistokles. Ms. Walsh gives the time and events both solidity and continuity.
Published January 1972 by Putnam Publishing Group

Keith Currie
Jan 30, 2017 Keith Currie rated it it was amazing
The Political Animal
Jill Paton Walsh has written some superb novels in her career and this is one of them; being the ‘autobiography’ of the Athenian politician and general Themistokles, written as it were on the last night of his life to the Great King of the Persians, Artaxerxes.

The author demonstrates consummate knowledge of this crucial period in history as Themistokles contributes to the rise of Athens to greatness: the dramatic establishment of democracy, the rivalry with Aristeides, known
Megan
Of all the books I've read that are claimed as similar to Mary Renault, this book has come the closest to capturing the style and feel of her work. This Themistocles was sardonic and self-sympathizing, frequently referring to himself as the cleverest man in Athens. He described the wars with the Persians and political life in Athens in ways that made them live for me. Some things were too brief and could have been explained/described more fully, but overall this was pretty good.
DoctorM
Aug 08, 2007 DoctorM rated it really liked it
It's not Mary Renault, but what else is? Start there. Accept that it's not "Last of the Wine" or "The Praise Singer". And then embrace it for its own strengths--- melancholy, vivid, well-done. Here we have Themistokles, the Athenian politician who commanded the Athenian fleet at Salamis...and who ended his life in exile, abandoned by the Athenians he'd saved, serving as an admiral in the Persian fleet he'd once fought, and as Persian governor of some of the cities in Asian Minor the Athenians ha ...more
Cassandra
Jul 02, 2013 Cassandra marked it as unfinished
The first novel of hers I have bounced off of, and not, I think, inherent to the book. But it is historical fiction written in that retrospective view which seems to me to have been so prominent in the 50s and 60s -- the old man looking back upon his life and career and describing them to someone, often a foreigner so that there is good reason to explain all of the things the actual modern reader will not know. I have disliked this technique since childhood, and still do, so however well it migh ...more
Ian
Captivating account of the Persian invasion of Greece. Read it when I was young. Loved it then. I was swept away by the imaginative characterisation, the skilful presentation of the struggle by the Greeks for freedom, and Themistocles—statesman, politician, wheeler-dealer—brought to life by the author. I would like to get my hands on an ebook version, but no sign.
Estevo Raposo
Sep 27, 2013 Estevo Raposo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novela, solo-ebook
Temístocles de Atenas, un gobernante en la primera época de la democracía griega es la voz principal de esta novela histórica, en una carta que dirige al rey persa Artajerjes.

Entretenida forma de echar una mirada a la Atenas, Esparta, la batalla de Maratón, la batalla de las Termópilas o la batalla de Salamina.
Erik Graff
Jun 26, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paton fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
Although I don't allow myself much fiction lately, I'll make exceptions for historical fiction dealing with persons or events of interest--such as this book about the Graeco-Persian Wars. Unfortunately, this book left little impression.
elena
elena rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2009
Chiliarch
Chiliarch rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Tracy Willburn
Tracy Willburn rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Anders
Anders rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2017
Georgie
Georgie rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Renaultfan
Renaultfan rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Teal
Teal rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Rafael Muñoz
Rafael Muñoz rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Fonch
Fonch rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2014
Stuart Pritchard
Stuart Pritchard rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2010
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2011
Chandini
Chandini marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
minniemon
minniemon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
John Leeson
John Leeson marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mayolo Lopez ramirez
Mayolo Lopez ramirez marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Thomas Ray
Thomas Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Rafael Cuevas
Rafael Cuevas marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2017
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2017
Lasiter
Lasiter marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Jill Paton Walsh was born Gillian Bliss in London on April 29th, 1937. She was educated at St. Michael's Convent, North Finchley, and at St. Anne's College, Oxford. From 1959 to 1962 she taught English at Enfield Girls' Grammar School.

Jill Paton Walsh has won the Book World Festival Award, 1970, for Fireweed; the Whitbread Prize, 1974 (for a Children's novel) for The Emperor's Winding Sheet; The
More about Jill Paton Walsh...