Start by marking “The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia Of The Undead” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia Of The Undead

The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia Of The Undead

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,247 ratings  ·  51 reviews
"The most comprehensive collection of vampire lore, with entries on everything from African vampires to Yama, the god of death".This unique encyclopedia satisfies your thirst for vampire lore and legends from around the world. It provides unprecedented coverage of the historical, literary, mythological and popular aspects of one of the world's most mesmerizing subjects.
Published 1994 by Visible Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire Book

The Vampire Book by J. Gordon MeltonVampyres by Christopher FraylingIn Search of Dracula by Raymond T. McNallyVampires, Burial, and Death by Paul BarberThe Vampire in Europe by Montague Summers
Vampire Non-Fiction
1st out of 41 books — 14 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle MeadInterview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
Great Vampire Books That Aren't Twilight=p
276th out of 622 books — 842 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronda  Tutt
This is a great book to have. Watching vampire shows and reading vampire books is great but actually knowing a little history about where vampires came from or should I say when was the first time anyone noted a vampire within history can give you a little more insight about them.

In short, here is a few interesting facts that I found interesting.

1. Vampire and Blood relationship - We know that vampires are bloodsucker creatures - since ancient times, humans have been the connection between blood
Jason Henderson
The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead is one of the most valuable books I use in the prep work I do. I've been using it for years-- the version I just got is the third edition, making this the second time that I'll be donating a dog-eared previous edition to the Outreach Center. (Note: I don't bother selling used books. I donate them. Goodwill, Outreach, Library, whatever. At the end the year you can write off some amount, and it's not as tiresome as waiting on a small sum in trade at ...more
Cleolinda
Extremely thorough and expansive in terms of looking at the vampire as a literary, cinematic, mythological and cultural phenomenon--you'll find entries on everything from fan clubs to breakfast cereals, as well as how various cultures (Germany, India, China, etc.) interpret the vampire. One drawback: since the book was published in 1998, it misses out on internet culture; a revised/updated edition would be a fun read.
Cynthia (aka Artemis)
What's not to like. The title says it all. An encyclopedia of vamps.
Yousra
I've been searching for this book desperately among my books since almost 3 yrs... i haven't lost the the hope of finding it somewhere.... I believe I'm gonna find it just when i'm not looking for it.

i bought this book in July 2003, from Borders Bookstore - Washington DC - USA... I chose that book along with "Great short works of Edgar Allan Poe" ... yet, I have bought this Vampire book for to give as a present for my favorite author & translator Dr.Ahmed Khaled Tawfick (author of Utopia), w
Rita
Awesome!

I got this book back in the early 90's so by today's standard it may be considered a bit out-dated. This does not make this book worth any less though! It's a very exhaustive encyclopaedia in terms of history (European, Asian, etc), myth & legend, movies, boooks, and so forth. It would be really, really nice to see a revised up-to-date edition, that also takes other media into consideration, such as music, games and the internet, in addition to what has been released since its origin
Jonathan
This book is an excellent resource for serious researchers, fans, and writers who appreciate the realm of horror, the cultural phenomenon of vampires, or culture, in general. This reference contains many entries related to cultural works related to the vampire mythology, legends, and lore, but there is a good amount of research on the less fantastic environment in which these myths, legends, and lore have been borne and thriving.
Burgendya
This is one of the greatest book of everything you need to know about Vampires. Their storie, myths, authors, films and alot of interesting sources. All very awesome. So I give it 10 stars & 2 thumbs up. If you're a true vampire fanatic? You'll totally love Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead . =)~

Lamadia
It's more of a reference book, so I've only read parts of it, but he leaves no stone unturned. Anything that has any relation to vampire myths, movies, folklore, books, places, and people is in here. There are even entries on medieval vampire hunters. This is extremely encompassing.
Max
in this book you can read anything from Dracula, Vlad The Impapler, Carmilla, Lilth and the history of all vampires and where they live. mostly Transylvania. you should read this book if you love vampires and anything to do with mythology or the supernatrual!
Jamie
Deffs a good book to own if you like vampires. It has fun facts, insightful descriptions, and much much more about all of your favorite vampire stories. To be honest, I have not read thee entire book. lol. Who would have the time? This thing is gargantuan!!
K.V. Witten
If you're a fan of vampires in general, this should be in your library. An exhaustive reference to all things vampire.
Jessica
Do you love the undead? Then you must own it! Has lots of juicy vampire tid bits inside <3
Hannah
I bought this for a research paper on vampires. It was very helpful and interesting.
Dave Analog
the most thorough book of vampires on screen and otherwise. a MUST HAVE.
Marcus Crawford
Notice there is no twilight bs in this. :-)
Mae
1. Melton, J. Gordon. The vampire book: the encyclopedia of the undead. Completely revamped, fully rev. and expanded ed., 2nd ed. Detroit: Visible Ink Press, 1999. Print.

2. ISBN 157859071X 13.98

3. The Vampire Book - Book Verdict April 1, 2011

4. WH1a
5. This is a comprehensive encyclopedia of vampire lore. It has more than 800 entries in alphabetical order ranging from directors and actors in vampire film to the historical origins of the vampire myth. The be
Mae Craddock
This is a comprehensive encyclopedia of vampire lore. It has more than 800 entries in alphabetical order ranging from directors and actors in vampire film to the historical origins of the vampire myth. The best part about this book is the resources section in the back of the book that details societies, books, and websites that can be referenced for further study. The author is a distinguished professor of american religious history at the Institute for Studies of Religion at Baylor University. ...more
Voiceofmadness
There was so much information... it really was a dictionary. It has pictures, dates, films, novels, myths. You name it, it's in here. Wonderful read for any vampire lover!
Desiree
This is full of a lot of information about various vampires from novels, movies, tv, etc. which for someone like me who loves vampires and other paranormal creatures it's a great book to have in my collection.

However in my edition (I don't know if it's been fixed yet) there's a mistake that bugs me, probably more than it should, because I'm a huge BtVS fan. In the Angel/Angelus section they mentioned his homeland to be Greece, it's not, most BtVS fans know he's from Ireland. With that info bein
Joe Albanese
I read all 800 pages of this thing, so I know it has everything you would want to know about vampires, from folklore about "real" vampires around the world to vampires in entertainment, at least up until 1998. It would have been easier to follow all the folklore in more of a chronological order, but the encyclopedia format makes research on a specific topic much easier. I would have liked a little more information on some topics and a little less information on others (I know way too much about ...more
Jason M.
Pretty much everything you wanna know about vampires is in here. Books and movies and music about vampires; oldworld tales about vampires; case studies about whackjobs who THOUGHT they were vampires: yeah, it's all here. There have been many revised editions, and maybe they'll keep updating it forever. Maybe they've stopped updating it, and it's no longer the supreme resource on bloodsuckers. Well, even so...it's pretty damn extensive.
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
I'm all for books that attempt to throw a bunch of vampire information together. It makes it a lot easier for research, should you need that kind of thing. I felt like this book picked only the biggest things, i.e shows, movies, books, and didn't give enough information on some of the more important pieces but lesser known. It had potential to be so much better.
ʍous ƃuıʞ
Excellent source for simple fast look-ups on vampire related questions. The little flipbook style animation of the bat on the corner is amusing as well. Its not dependable for in depth or very fringe questions... but for the mainstream curiosities this book provides answers.

Molly
This is a fascinating look at all things vampire. Whether you're interested in the folk stories behind vampire, the most popular (pre-Twilight) vampire books/movies/television shows this is a great resource to have.
Vanlilith
A great Encyclopedia of Vampires ^_^ - Found in Beijing at Bookworm library (http://www.beijingbookworm.com/) and read drinkin' a lot of american (bad)coffee ^_^
Sophie Avett
First of all, this is not organized correctly--nor is it really organized like an encyclopedia. The index doesn't help at ALL. Also, much of the information presented is spliced in-between pop-culture resources/information, rather than being a pure guide on vampire mythology. Also the information that is there is very broad and limited. The book seems to try avoiding specifics, so it can use the omitted information for another useless entry. There is no entry for things like "sire" or "blood" an ...more
Stu
Riddled with mistakes, but still the most complete compendium on the subject. Take it with a grain of salt, but take it nonetheless.
Lenette Graham
Thanks to my best friend ShaKishaBoo for this book! She saw it and knowing how much I love vampires, thought of me!
Jelena
amazing history from the balkans to where the first vampire was originated from. Entertaining and educational.
  • Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Vampyres: Lord Byron to Count Dracula
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Vampires: The Occult Truth
  • In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires
  • Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore and Reality
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Vampires: Encounters With the Undead
John Gordon Melton is an American religious scholar who was the founding director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion and is currently a research specialist in religion and New Religious Movements with the Department of Religious Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Baylor University's Institute for Studies of Religion.

His a
More about J. Gordon Melton...
The Vampire Gallery: A Who's Who of the Undead The Church of Scientology VideoHound's Vampires on Video The Encyclopedia of Religious Phenomena Finding Enlightenment: Ramtha's School of Ancient Wisdom