Start by marking “The Past Through Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
The Past Through Tomorrow

The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History or "Heinlein Timeline" #1-21)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,289 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Here in one monumental volume are all 21 of the stories, novellas and novels making up Heinlein's famous Future History—the rich, imaginative architecture of Man's destiny that many consider his greatest and most prophetic work.

Contents:
* The Man Who Sold the Moon
* Delilah and the Space-Rigger
* Sp
Mass Market Paperback, 830 pages
Published September 15th 1983 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Past Through Tomorrow, please sign up.

Brian Huddleston Ha! Answered my own question - a publisher called "Gateway" has one published in 2014 - the Amazon link here on GoodReads just goes to a general…moreHa! Answered my own question - a publisher called "Gateway" has one published in 2014 - the Amazon link here on GoodReads just goes to a general listing for this title.(less)

Jay
May 13, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the afternoon of Saturday, October 4th, 1975, having just turned thirteen years old a few weeks before, I rode my bicycle about 2 1/2 miles to the nearest bookstore to my house that sold science fiction books--the long-defunct Books & Friends in Oakton, VA. I know this not because I remember the event, but because I wrote it in the back of a paperback copy of "The Past Through Tomorrow," an 830-page collection of Robert Heinlein's "Future History" stories. What I do remember is that I did ...more
Monica
Jul 03, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos, sci-fi
‘ Ésta es la historia no del futuro, sino de un futuro’. Según las palabras dichas por Heinlein, los dos volúmenes que conforman ‘Historia del futuro’ es un conjunto de relatos y novelas cortas de un probable horizonte alternativo, que aunque el hombre quisiese quitarse méritos, nada descabellados y algunos de ellos ciertamente proféticos en parte. Con una sólida y plausible base científica a la vez que social ( SIEMPRE HA SIDO UN GENIO COMBINANDO AMBAS CIENCIAS EN SUS ESCRITOS), el autor nos ad ...more
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a compilation of 21 Heinlein short stories in his 'Future History'. If you've never read Heinlein & want a good introduction, this is probably the best single book of his works you can buy. You'll see quite a range of his best.

The paperback is as fat as one of Jordan's books & contains some novella length stories - two, "Revolt in 2100" & "Methuselah's Children" were published as novels. Others are title stories from other short story collections "The Green Hills of Earth" &
Zachary
Jul 25, 2008 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Though I greatly enjoy Heinlen's writing, I didn't think I'd read very many of his short stories. Surprisingly, I had read "Life-Line", which is the first story in this book. But I didn't mind re-reading it one bit! One thing I had not realized before was that it was the first short story Heinlen had ever submitted for publication. I think the book is worth getting for it alone.

Now, not only is this book just an incredible collection of plain good 'ole fashioned story-telling at it's best, but t
Russell Fletcher
The Past Through Tomorrow is a book of short stories by Robert A. Heinlein. It is my favorite science fiction book. (It may be my favorite book period.) Even though there are plenty of other things to read, I have to reread.it every year or two. The character D.D. Harriman is certainly an inventor ahead of his time, even though in his timeline he had different inventions to get into space.

Now for divergent thoughts not in this book but brought on by thinking about this book.
Speaking of inventors
Jessica Zoop
Entertaining on the whole but Heinlein's high handed opinion of men, coupled with his disdain /annoyance of women, children, and parents got old. It feels like SciFi based Ayn Rand diatribe with a hatred of heavy handed government meddling in the affairs of get-the-job-done men.
Nandakishore Varma
I got this for a song at the roadside. I never knew that it was a compendium of stories describing Heinlein's future universe: its development through time and space. Very enjoyable reading.
Tim
Aug 26, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, along with "Time Enough for Love" (currently reading) is Heinlein's magnum ous. This volume has some 800 pages of small-type stories, novellas and novels, culminating in '"Methuselah's Children" (which I have already read - see my review- and found out subsequently that there was a great number of stories that antedated that novel. These are published in this volume in the order given in a table close to the beginning of "Methuselah's Children" but somewhat out of order in terms of publica ...more
Kevin
I've done more thorough reviews of the stories in the four books that make up this tome, but there are two Future history stories that aren't in the other collections.

Searchlight (1962) 2.5/5 Stars
It was originally written as part of an advertisement which accounts for its brevity and lack of character. It presents some interesting concepts about how to find someone in space though.

The Menace from Earth (1957) 4/5 Stars
15 year old Holly is a moon guide who dreams of being a ship designer. One
Darth
Mar 10, 2011 Darth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heinlein
This is a collection of the core Short Stories & Novellas that are collectively known to make up Robert Heinlein's "Future History"

Since these were written in the early days (many in the 1940's and 50's) much of the "future" part is now past tense at least in terms of the year on the calendar. Also, most of these have that feeling to them I would describe as pulpy, which I think most people would consider fair, since they were actually first published (not all but many) in magazines.

You hear
Norman Cook
Although some of the stories in this collection are somewhat trivial, most are quite enjoyable, especially compared with stories by other writers of the time. It's easy to see why Heinlein was considered the dean of science fiction writers. Some of the characterizations are less than great, but the science and engineering are top-notch. Clearly some of Heinlein's social predictions haven't come to pass, but he wasn't writing predictions, he was writing allegories. And given the current political ...more
Monty
Jun 18, 2016 Monty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This work is classic and mandatory Heinlein. All of his seminal writings from the Golden Age are included here, and culminate in the ever-classic Methuselah's Children. The latter novella marks the debut of the famous (or notorious) literary character Lazarus Long, a member of the extremely long-lived Howard family. Lazarus Long, aka Woodrow Wilson Smith and several other aliases, is one of Science fiction's most famous wise, elderly curmudgeons--leaving a record of his life experiences covering ...more
Evenumbers
Jan 30, 2014 Evenumbers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The all-encompassing range of this collection draws in the reader as it covers a period of centuries, illustrating each episode with an interesting, somewhat political, drama as characters struggle against various challenges, both human and beyond, successfully and unsuccessfully. By only focusing on specific, interesting events, this work ties together various elements into a compelling journey through Heinlein's future history.
While much of the described situations will clearly not occur, as
Carena Wood beimler
Some of the stories are better than others, what I really enjoyed about this was that the books and short stories were in chronological order, so the young fellow wanting to go to the moon many pages ago eventually invents space flight, and then several stories later does get to go. It makes you feel like you have more invested in the series, as well.
One day I want to own all of the books and to read them all in linear order.
Aries

"It's Great to Be Back!"
"—We Also Walk Dogs"
Searchl

Dale
Always amusing to go back and read classic sci-fi and see which predictions were far-seeing and which ones failed to pan out. I understand why highways were never replaced with "rolling roads", but someone tell me why we haven't colonized the moon yet?
Craig
Aug 22, 2007 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of Heinlein's classic future history short fiction. Arguably the best single-author collection of science fiction ever. I'd say that these stories did more to shape modern sf than any other works.
Fredrick Danysh
This is a collection of twenty-one vintage Heinlein short stories with a wide variety of plots. This is a great read for the science fiction fan. There are several classics in the collection.
Centrillo
Jul 15, 2011 Centrillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of my all-time favorites. Heinlein,while not as famous as Asimov, is at least his equal. The stories in this book, written over decades, paint a galaxy that is fascinating and complex.
Bob
Oct 17, 2007 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone at all
Shelves: sf, short-stories
Heinlein's "Future History" all wrapped up in one volume. An important starting point for Time Enough For Love and pretty much all of his later books.
Stuart
I think Heinlein was a better SF writer at shorter lengths, though this book is over 800 pages long. Methuseluh's Children is the best of them.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Spider Robinson be damned, RAH is a closet misogynist and male chauvinist pig, and his later stuff doesn't change that.
Berry Muhl
May 04, 2016 Berry Muhl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previously, I'd only ever read a couple of Heinlein novels, and none of his short stories. This book is a great way to become acquainted with Heinlein. It features all of his known "Future History" stories, in order on the timeline, beginning with his first published short story and ending with the first Lazarus Long story.

RAH's wit and vision have been ably described elsewhere, so I won't review his writing or the universe in which these stories take place. I will only exhort the reader to pick
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
This is a collection of 21 stories that fit into Heinlein's "Future History." As Damon Knight's introduction relates, this isn't the future history, one that should be seen as predictive, but a future history. And it definitely has to be read in that spirit, otherwise especially in the beginning the works could be seen as hopelessly dated. The earliest story here--the earliest Heinlein ever published, "Life-Line," came out in 1939 (and it's remarkable for a first story). All but "Searchlight" pr ...more
Ronald
Sep 17, 2011 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This rather hefty book contains 21 short stories and short novels from Heinlein's earlier days, organized in chronological order (according to the dates when the stories take place, not when they were published). They are all unrelated and can be read stand-alone, but each story forms a foundation for the next one to build upon in terms of technology and human progress (or lack thereof, in some cases). The time-line is our own until (I would guess) about the time that WW2 comes to a close, at wh ...more
Kelanth
Mar 07, 2012 Kelanth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Questo volume raccoglie il primo ciclo di racconti, rigorosamente in ordine cronologico delle vicende immaginate da Heinlein e non di scrittura della Storia Futura.

Un ciclo che ogni amante della fantascienza dovrebbe aver letto: l'autore qui getta uno sguardo sull'immaginario e crea situazioni come quella di predire la morte di una persona, lo sfruttamento economico della Luna che dopo essere stata raggiunta viene colonizzata, l'invenzioni di strade che si muovono, ma soprattutto il senso di app
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 Aries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Se penso che fino a pochi anni fa neanche conoscevo Robert Hanson Heinelin mi chiedo ancora come facessi a definirmi appassionato di fantascienza.Perché se è vero che Asimov è stato l’emblema della fantascienza classica e che Dick è stato il rivoluzionario visionario, Heinlein è stato, semplicemente, il genio razionale.Ho già parlato tempo fa di romanzi come Lazarus Long o Straniero in terra straniera, ma solo ora ho avuto modo di cominciare a leggere il ciclo di racconti che, tutto insieme, cos ...more
Williwaw
I just read "The Man Who Sold the Moon," and wish that I hadn't. I've never been much of a Heinlein fan, and this story illustrates my reasons perfectly. Essentially, this is the story of the first moon expedition. In Heinlein's telling (long before the Apollo missions), it's a private corporation that reaches the moon first. There's some interesting speculation about who owns the moon, based upon traditional legal theory (supposedly, all property owners on earth own a section of the earth that ...more
Ted Rabinowitz
Jun 01, 2012 Ted Rabinowitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the classic collections of science fiction. Anyone who enjoys the genre - and certainly anyone who aspires to write in it - should read these stories at least once.

As a writer, Heinlein was a uniquely 20th Century American phenomenon: A man who had trained for the military and as an engineer, but who also retained the storytelling ability of his fellow Missouri native, Mark Twain. His story were often "firsts" (the first to consider the implications of a particular sci-fi possibil
Nadia Mcgowan
I read this book perhaps ten years ago, perhaps more. I loved it.

I am loving it again and haven't even finished the prologue, because of quotes such as this:

“Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • Nightfall and Other Stories
  • The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6)
  • Tales of Known Space: The Universe of Larry Niven
  • Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (Callahan's, #1)
  • Dorsai! (Childe Cycle, #1)
  • The Weapon Shops of Isher
  • Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • Tales From The White Hart
  • Dangerous Visions
  • Trader to the Stars
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...

Future History or "Heinlein Timeline" (5 books)
  • The Man Who Sold the Moon