Light in the Crevice Never Seen, Revised Edition

Light in the Crevice Never Seen, Revised Edition

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Reviews

"It is stunning to read that this is the first publication of a book of poems by a Native Hawaiian. For mainlanders unaware of the racial issues in that apparent island paradise, Trask's work is an eye-opener. In heavily cadenced, musical language, Trask explores the social realities affecting Native Hawaiians today, from youthful suicide to loss of language, from v...more
Published November 1st 1999 by CALYX Books (first published 1994)

Teshamae
This book of poems gives a fascinating look at how native Hawaiians view so many Americans. Trask longs for the cultural heritage that has mostly been lost following the (forced) colonialism of this island by the US. Her beautiful poems are much less in your face than her prose, and accomplish the job of educating people about the history and present in Hawaii.
Hannah Spencer
I think all tourists coming to Hawaii should read this book. And then have someone explain to them what it all means, so they really get it.

She's supposed to be "raging," and I do get that. But to me, her poetry sounds more full of hurt than of rage.

Couldn't stop reading it.
Deb
The is probably the best piece of indigenous writing I have read. If you are interested in the plight faced by the Hawaiian people when they were colonized by America-you should read it. Not for the feint of heart though, she is very straightforward.

Deb
Ching-In
I hoped to like this more than I did -- I thought that the notes accompanying the poems were more interesting (specific in language etc) than some of the poems. Makes me want to read her non-fiction/prose though!
Joan
Trask's love for her land, and rage against the injustice of its occupation fire these poems.
Montana
Montana marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
T And
T And added it
Jun 30, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
May 24, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Michael Young
Michael Young marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Zahra Zamorano
Zahra Zamorano marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Megan Catherine
Megan Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Krupa
Krupa marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
June
June marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
berna
berna marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Sarah Farrant
Sarah Farrant marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Kealani
Kealani marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawai'i Night Is a Sharkskin Drum Kūʻē: Thirty Years of Land Struggle in Hawaiʻi Eros and Power: The Promise of Feminist Theory Since Predator Came: Notes from the Struggle for American Indian Liberation