Start by marking “The Devil's Apocrypha: There are two sides to every story” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Apocrypha: There are two sides to every story

The Devil's Apocrypha: There are two sides to every story

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The battle between good and evil began long ago.Before the birth of humanity, God and Satan fought for the domination of heaven. And, as everyone knows, God was triumphant over Satans evil. The tale has been told for thousands of years.But its all a lie.A manuscript has been discovered, written over a century ago by a priest who was visited by the Devil himself. A priest w ...more
Published November 13th 2002 by Writers Club Press

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Apocrypha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Apocrypha

S.M. Johnson
Well. I am somewhat fascinated.

The beginning is slow. The style is a bit similar to when Anne Rice gets into writing about history - which means better paced than your dry old history book, but... still, not the fastest read.

But at loc 1253 starts the Devil's commandments, and they are perfectly wonderful.

I've always considered myself an atheist, but perhaps I have been wrong about that.

Couple of my favorite examples from the Philosophies:

"The path of life must be thine own, let not others cho
Palindrome Mordnilap
It is very seldom that I am unable to finish a book out of sheer tedium. Even if a book promises little after the first few chapters and continues to show no evidence of improving some further chapters later, I am inclined to persevere. I know that writing a book is no easy task, and once committed, I feel I owe the writer the common courtesy of finishing what they spent months, if not years, crafting.

I say this, because John A. De Vito's "The Devil's Apocrypha" is one of those rare exceptions:
Adam Boudreau
I ended up getting this because it seemed rather intriguing. I really enjoyed "To Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust and I thought maybe this would be on similar lines. I was sort of confused at first when I was reading through this book, mainly in terms of if this was fantasy or if the author actually thought all of this was real? Personally, I think its fantasy, but I don't know about it because he goes through lengths to actually include pictures of these ancient and lost manuscripts. So maybe he ...more
Angie
This book was self-published, and quickly became an Amazon.com international bestseller. Further proof that writing a great story is more important than who you know.

This is very familiar story that's given longer roots and turned on it's head. It asks the familiar question "What if everything we think we know is false?". It's classic role reversal, but on a grander scale.

What if Satan were the true savior, and God the villain?

Where this story goes terribly right is that it doesn't just drop you
Nancy Oakes
WARNING: If you are easily offended by anything which throws less than a positive light on Heaven or the Church, do not under any circumstances pick up this book. You'll really hate this one and label it as blasphemy.

Luckily, I don't have any trouble with this type of fiction, and I don't believe that this was meant to be anything but fiction. Looking over the Internet, however, I was surprised that there were people who totally believed in what was said between the covers. Ah well, to each his
Zac
I've always been interested in different perspectives to stories (e.g., what was the bad guy doing while the good guys were two steps behind, etc.). I liked "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire for that reason.

The book is described as the documentation of a manuscript dictated to the author's great-grand uncle by Satan himself... Lucifer's explanation of the Bible myth. Nevermind that, the story described presents some interesting, and often, more sensible explanations to events and actions accounted fo
Jesse Winslow
Concept: Biblical stories told from the perspective of the Fallen ones.

Delivery: If it didn't have the stupid beginning/premise (a secret manuscript discovered in his grandpa's house) or the half King James-half modern writing style I'd enjoyed this book much more.

Consensus: Two things I really liked about this book. #1 the whole concept of creation, what God is, what the angels and demons are, and how the Genesis stories played out made more sense than the actual Bible stories. #2 The chapter
Paul Fisette

Points for self publishing. Sadly, it does show. This book is in need of a good editor and a proofreader. The story drifts, it lacks focus, and oftentimes I was left wondering whether I was reading a story or a manuscript on someones personal religious beliefs. Clearly De Vito wrote this book with a particular theology in mind, but at some point he needed to choose whether this was going to be a fictional read or a theological treatise, trying to combine both makes each aspect fall flat.
Sergio
The Devil's Apocrypha is a well written book, however I found that I was not thrilled by it. The author John De Vito did a fine job of simulating the speech and text of the bible, and the narrative was well done, but even with the combination of sci-fi and historical fiction, the ending fell flat for me.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole thing, nor am I sure if I would recommend it to anyone. At best I would say that I am ambivalent about the whole book.
Tracey
A well-written book--I have the utmost admiration for writers who can pack a punch in a relatively short, but very tight narrative. It's almost a "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead" take on traditional Christian fairy tales (save the alternate point of view is a major character--Satan). No matter your beliefs, you have to appreciate the innovative and refreshing twist that DeVito takes. Bonus points that he's self-published.
Crystal
Very creative and well written. It is written from another perspective of well known bible stories, so it can be a bit dull at times. But overall it was a good story by a guy who really did his homework on history and biblical stories.
It's definitely not for everyone, but to those not easily offended it is a quick book worthy of a read.
Judas Iscariot
An interesting take on Christianity, focusing in on the beginnings of Satan and God. If taken as another tale for Christian mythology, then one might find it quite interesting. I especially enjoyed the reasoning of Satan, but I felt that the beginning and middle were far more interesting than the end.
Tony Tran
took 4 years of stopping and starting but boy.... it was a trip. even though this book has takes on Christianity that people will frown upon, there is some good philosophies on the bearer of light. comes up very Zen / new age-ish
Bryce
De Vito makes very little attempt at actual story telling here, focusing instead on his anti-religious agenda. I say this as an atheist myself, but evangelical atheists are just as obnoxious as their religious counterparts.
Brian Laliberte
Though a work of fiction this was an interesting take on the greatest story ever told. It was also an inspiration for Spycraft.
stan
Awesome story telling the Bible from another perspective, one of the best fiction stories I have ever read.
Ellie
Not bad for a self-published book, but the typos and bad grammar started getting to me after a while.
Erika
Good read but not as disturbing as I thought it would be. Good adult fairytale.
Juliet
Feb 10, 2011 Juliet is currently reading it
Shelves: gave-up
So far, badly written but intersting..I'll keep reading...
April
This book was hard to find, but it was definately worth it.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Imani Allen
Imani Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Emma Deluca
Emma Deluca marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Matthew Gardiner
Matthew Gardiner marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Ania
Ania marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Steven
Steven added it
Nov 26, 2014
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • The War in Heaven: The Chronicle of Abaddon the Destroyer
  • Lady Lazarus (Lady Lazarus Trilogy, #1)
  • Demon's Fall
  • Tagebuch aus der Hölle
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Lucifer's Flood
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • Tears of the Furies (The Menagerie, #2)
  • Angel
  • The Prophecy (The Watchers Chronicles, #1)
  • The Book of Joby
  • Concrete Savior (Dark Redemption, #2)
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Warrior Angel
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • My Avenging Angel (Angels and Demons #1)
The Devil's Apocrypha: There Are Two Sides to Every Story.