Start by marking “Introducing the Apocrypha: Message, Context, and Significance” as Want to Read:
Introducing the Apocrypha: Message, Context, and Significance

Introducing the Apocrypha: Message, Context, and Significance

In this accessible book, David deSilva introduces the Old Testament Apocryphal books and summarizes their context, message, and significance. Now in paperback.
"DeSilva does a fine job of placing the Apocrypha within the historical context of the Jewish world in which early Christianity was forged."--Publishers Weekly
Published November 1st 2004 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Introducing the Apocrypha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing the Apocrypha

Theron Mathis
Oct 19, 2011 Theron Mathis rated it it was amazing
I am involved in adult education at an Orthodox parish. A couple years, after the The Orthodox Study Bible: Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World was published, members of the class asked me to teach on those extra OT books. I was raised Protestant, so while I knew the Bible well, I knew nothing of these books. My response, like a parent delaying a request they don't want to fulfill, was "We'll see".

Eventually I decided to take up the challenge, but outside of reading the books themselve
Monica Willyard
May 26, 2015 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshare
As a Protestant, I was curious about why my Catholic friends have extra books in their Bibles. This book does a fantastic job of answering that question.
Chris
Mar 30, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
A helpful, albeit dry, survey of the Apocrypha. Desilva describes each text's content, theology, contributions to Jewish and Christian thought, as well as more technical aspects such as textual transmission. This is a good book for anyone interesting in learning more about the history of the Apocrypha as well as the influence it had on both Palestinian and diaspora Jewish culture in the 1st century. The book ends abrubtly and would have benefited from a conclusion.
jon
Aug 11, 2016 jon rated it it was amazing
It took me awhile to finish this book, largely because it is a reference and resource book. If you have familiarity with the Apocrypha (here, and often distinguished as the Old Testament from the New Testament Apocrypha), you will enjoy reading Desilva, whether you read the book, as I did, from left to right, or as most, I imagine, on topic.
David Smiley
Apr 13, 2016 David Smiley rated it it was amazing
As a Protestant, it saddens me that my colleagues do not always take seriously the theological and historical weight for Second Temple Judaism that is found in the Apocrypha. I would refer any of them to deSilva's work for a better understanding of this corpus.
Rhesa
May 28, 2010 Rhesa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-study
After years of looking, finally I found a comprehensive study of the Apocrypha, this is gonna be a feast of information & insight
Susan
Apr 15, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Very well organized and easy to understand.
Chad Newton
Chad Newton marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Amy Eischeid
Amy Eischeid rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2016
Josué "Josh" Caramés
Josué "Josh" Caramés marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Chase Sears
Chase Sears rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
David
David is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Juggling
Juggling marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kristine
Kristine rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2016
Joe Murphy
Joe Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Joshua Hutchens
Joshua Hutchens rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Grafton
Grafton marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Jco
Jco rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Matthew Richey
Matthew Richey rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Doyle Cooper
Doyle Cooper marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Virginia Beam
Virginia Beam marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Ray Umphrey
Ray Umphrey rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David A. deSilva (PhD, Emory University) is Trustees’ Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Greek at Ashland Theological Seminary in Ashland, Ohio. His numerous books include Introducing the Apocrypha and An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods, and Ministry Formation.
More about David A. Desilva...