Start by marking “Will You Always Love Me? and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Will You Always Love Me? and Other Stories

Will You Always Love Me? and Other Stories

Obsession with loss, fear of betrayal, and sudden violence plague the characters who inhabit Oates' haunting fiction. Twenty-four stories take readers from inner cities to isolated backwaters, as Oates displays the full range of her imaginative powers in a collection that shocks, provokes, and astounds with its unexpected turns of events and their profound commentary on th ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Plume (first published February 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Will You Always Love Me? and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will You Always Love Me? and Other Stories

Jun 26, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I've never read Joyce Carol Oates short works, and it's interesting to see here a collection of her consciously taking the same themes of her work (the necessary, hidden, powerful, destructive undercurrents of our personalites and desires and energy) but approaching them from a very different artistic place in each story. On some level, her work is always emotionally grueling, but this book of short stories is much more intellectually/aethestically engaging than much of the work of hers I've rea ...more
Eliot Parulidae
Jun 03, 2014 Eliot Parulidae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, suspense, horror
One of Joyce Carol Oates' finest short story collections, Will You Always Love Me? starts with a bang: a story in which a rich man hits a homeless person with his car on purpose. Oates specializes in the horror underlying American life, an obsession that lists toward tabloid sleaze in the hands of lesser authors (and occasionally in Oates' hands, for one cannot be as prolific as she is without producing a clunker or two - see Man Crazy for details.) However, ruthless self-control characterizes t ...more
Larry Bassett
I love short stories. So when I learned that some consider Joyce Carol Oates a master of the short story, I had to give her a try. Will You Always Love Me? And Other Stories is a collection of twenty-two stories that have all been previously published in a variety of publications including Western Humanities Review, Cosmopolitan, Salmagundi, Atlantic Monthly, Harper’s, Michigan Quarterly Review,and Southern Review.

The stories are all about relationships. Many are dyads: husband wife; mother daug
Dec 19, 2007 Pewterbreath rated it liked it
Oates has always been famous for her stories, and these have some particularly famous ones. Some people dislike oates for her lack of "closure," but I kinda like that side---the need for closure in literature is a very American trait, and it's very unlike life to have things end in a neat, tidy way (and often things don't end at all.) Other than death that is.
Mar 14, 2014 Paige rated it it was amazing
A Very Carol Oates Christmas... "My mother was in the back bedroom crying. Christmas night, you wouldn't think it could still be the same day. She'd been crying seeing the raggedy doll thrown across the room. She'd been drinking too..."

So far really enjoying staying up all hours of the night and reading these out of order[story roulette style]
Aug 02, 2013 Amy added it
"Then, by degrees, she'd realized, no, no, I am not like this at all, I am the person I always was, from the first, I don't need others to define me, it's in fact others who misdefine me."

"For food consumed in the presence of dear friends is not mere food but sustenance; a sustenance of the soul."
Feb 16, 2007 Brandi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: angsty women
You know... whenever I'm feeling like a little bit of crazy, I just pick up Joyce Carol Oates and pleasantly remind myself of how normal I really am.

This collection of stories attacks the behind-the-closed-door realities of relationships and love, and confronts us with some pretty awful realities.

Fun for a while, but a bit depressing in large doses.
Amber Seamans
Sep 09, 2014 Amber Seamans rated it it was ok
These were okay, and the writing is pretty enough. It just didn't knock my socks off. Many of the stories felt like they could have been so much more effective with small changes. There are bright spots; this one simply was not my favorite short story collection.
Jan 15, 2011 Dave rated it liked it
Short stories are not my thing, but JCO is a writer who is always fearless about going to the heart of the matter, so the short story is a great form for her. I'm not always comfortable about following where she goes, but I'm always enlightened and often moved.
maggie dalkowska
Jul 11, 2016 maggie dalkowska rated it really liked it
Fantastic collection of short stories. Each one presents a different problem. Something to think about. Good for book club discussion.
Sep 30, 2015 Charlene rated it liked it
I like JCO. These stories were too heavy to read one after the other. Take at least 24 days. They tell of man's inhumanity to man. Who suffers most?-- the evil one or the victim?
Some stories are better than others. I do love the way J.C.O. writes, and I have written a quote from one of her stories down in my quote book.
Jul 29, 2011 Marcos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories are really awesome, some were a bit drawn out for me, but its always entertaining, dark, and nasty at times...oh Joyce..:)
Sep 06, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
One of the most inspirational book I've ever read. It made me fall in love with the art of writing short stories.
Ashley Kendrick
Ashley Kendrick rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2010
Animlgrl rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Rambling Reader
Rambling Reader rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Tyler Harrington
Tyler Harrington rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2016
Madelyn rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Elizabeth Simmons
Elizabeth Simmons rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2009
Patrica rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2009
Maureen rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2010
Sun rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2007
Joy rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2008
Nichole Stratton
Nichole Stratton rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Brit rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Becca Balistreri
Becca Balistreri rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2007
Stevi rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Margaret C
Margaret C rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Jonah rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Starr Bright Will Be With You Soon
  • The Price of Power (Greyhawk Adventures #4)
  • Come Endless Darkness (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #4)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2013
  • Worse Than Myself
  • Flash Fiction: 72 Very Short Stories
  • The Adventurist: My Life in Dangerous Places
  • Corpus Christi: Stories
  • Parasite Pig (Interstellar Pig #2)
  • Women With Men
  • Night Soul and Other Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • Nightwork
  • The Oxford Book of English Short Stories
  • Gryphon: New and Selected Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 1997
  • Kipps
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure ...more
More about Joyce Carol Oates...