Start by marking “Bronwyn's Bane (Argonian #3)” as Want to Read:
Bronwyn's Bane (Argonian #3)

Bronwyn's Bane (Songs from the Seashell Archives #3)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  16 reviews
As if it wasn't bad enough already that because of her frost giant heritage from her father the king's side of the family she was 6 feet tall when she was only 12 years old, poor Princess Bronwyn (the Bold) of Argonia was cursed at birth to tell nothing but lies. With her father away at war and her mother heavily pregnant, Bronwyn is even more in the way than usual, so she...more
Published December 1st 1983 by Bantam Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Bronwyn's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bronwyn's Bane

Kelley Ceccato
This is a comic fantasy from the 1980s. Somehow I feel that a lot about the book, good and bad, could be summed up in those few words.

The Good:
The characters are very engaging (or at least have the potential to be so). I found Bronwyn a delight. Honestly, how many fantasy novels feature a bluff, good-natured giantess as their heroine? One who must labor under the burden of a most provoking but interesting curse, never to speak the absolute truth? Her wily song-witch cousin Carole made a pleasing...more
Lisa
This was a bit difficult to follow - the heroine has a curse of always lying, so she often says the opposite of what she means, sometimes just something ridiculous. Lots of fantasy creatures, the main plot difficult to follow behind other sub-plots. Very complex, and characters each with as many quirks as redeeming characteristics. Hats off to Scarborough for finally being able to tie things together at the end! I only persevered because of my sense of loyalty to Scarborough as an author; howeve...more
Michelle
Bronwyn is not a typical princess. She is big. She is a little clumsy at times, and can only ever tell lies. This does not present too much of a problem for her cousin, whom she is sent off to "visit"...her cousin Carole picks up easily enough on the curse and is able to just reverse everything Bronwyn says. Their adventure takes them over seas and across mountains. I found this book both funny and charming, a wonderful fantasy to add to any collection.
Dark-Draco
I thought this was quite good, but felt a bit let down. There didn't seem to be a lot of 'point' to the story - the characters just fell into one event after the next with no real conscious will. I hate to sound like me English teacher, but the characters didn't really develop at all, which left me disappointed. Saying that, I did enjoy the read and thought it was quite funny in places, but isn't one of those books that is going to stay with me.
Ero
Given the silliness of the plot and the colorful contents of the plot, this ought to be super-entertaining. But the prose is so poorly written that I have to read everything twice just to figure out what's going on. Also, I can't for the life of me muster any feelings at all about any of teh characters.

It may be the perfect bedtime book though: it's mildly entertaining, puts me to sleep quickly, and I don't care what happens in the meantime.
Jeffrey
Light fun fantasy with sly humor. Bronwyn, is not like other princesses. She is big, brawny and has been cursed at birth with a spell that makes her tell nothing but lies.

When war breaks out she is sent by the Queen to live with her cousin Carole, but soon the cousins go on an adventure themselves.

Nicole
This is essentially a comedy of manners in fantasy.
She was cursed (by an evil fairy of course) at her christening to always tell a lie so this leads to every manner of farcical setting. Delightful!
Rachel
It's been a very long time since I read this but I remember that I liked it. A fantasy with good story telling. Might contain a little adult content?
Judith
I tought this would be a cute farce, but please don't waste your time. COuldn't bring mysel to finish it. It goes way past farce to boring and juvenile.
Hennypenny
Just found her back list on Smashwords ---- YEAH!!!!
I love this book but it has been a long time since I read it.
Arlene Allen
I've been reading Elizabeth Ann Scarborough for 27 years now? Scary!!
Lenny Husen
It was just OK. Blah story. But the cover art is amazing!!!
Charley
Began reading on July 15, 2010. A fun, nonsense fairy tale. 3 stars.
Tatra
A great adventure.
Carol
Jan 04, 2010 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Girl power fantasy!
Traevynn
Traevynn marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Nikhilā
Nikhilā is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jeffrey Ricker
Jeffrey Ricker marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • The Windsingers (Windsingers, #2)
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
  • Son of Man
  • Minerva Wakes
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • Cards of Grief
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • Shadows (Hex, #2)
  • Dancer's Luck (Dancer, #2)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • The Dungeons of Torgar (Lone Wolf, #10)
  • Legion of Thunder (Orcs: First Blood, #2)
  • The Disappearance
  • Hestia
  • Wolfling
  • The Man Who Used the Universe
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...
The Healer's War The Godmother (Godmother, #1) Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1) The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2) The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)