The Mystery of Biltmore House (Real Kids, Real Places)

The Mystery of Biltmore House (Carole Marsh Mysteries: Real Kids, Real Places #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In 1981, Carole Marsh (a real author) took four real kids to the famous Biltmore House in Ashville, NC. They went to learn about G. W. Vanderbilt. the Vicortian Era, O. Henry and more.

There was only one little problem...

First one kid dissappeaared. Then another! Then, so did a priceless antique chess set!

There was the creepy Halloween room, the very scary basement, the eer

Published September 1st 1998 by Gallopade International (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Biltmore House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Biltmore House

Andria
Never figured out which child was who. The four names were interchangeable to me even though two were girls and two were boys. Further adds to the confusion was the page with photos explaining who the kids were in real life years ago. The book did make me want to visit the biltmore house as it sounds fabulous, so very descriptive setting. It seems like the rest of the series has some other characters, some the same as this book and some additional new characters so that there will always be four...more
Eileen
Great idea for a mystery for younger children poor execution. One note; I would give parents, whose child might want to read this book, a caveat regarding one scary part where the children get into a car with a stranger.
Natalie
Cute, not too scary, fun and educational all at once. I'm going to start buying these on ebay for the kids. They're gender-neutral so they should both enjoy them. I didn't notice any really tough vocab in there but there was a glossary at the end. Sam had never heard of The Biltmore House, so this might not have been the best first choice, but there are other ones in Disney, Hershey, NYC, etc.
Annabella

The part that they got on the truck, and instead of going to the farm they went to a road that was off limits to public creeped me out when the three in the back screamed , and
When the driver came back Stacy (a character) saw the grape stain and thought it was blood. Gave me the heebie jeebies.
Mcmillionsj
I read this book along time ago in grade 5. It scared me the frist time i read it because we just finnshd it before we had to go to the Biltmore house. because i saw a man that no one else saw and then he disappered to somewhere we couldn't go.
Alison
This book was a fun, really quick read. It is on our elementary list for Battle of the Books, which is why I read it. I like how the author incorporates a real place into her mystery. I will have to read more from the series.
Kari
Oct 10, 2011 Kari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kari by: Michelle Smietana
Shelves: marsh
I know it's a kid's book, but it added a new dimension to my experience at the estate. Terrific story. I am bidding on more Carole Marsh mysteries on Ebay.
Anna
Good book.....
So much information about Biltmore house!
Angie
When my mom read me this book we coudn't put it down
Sara
Fun light kids read. Makes me think of my second home, NC.
Thaliagrace
This was a very good book.
Melissa Simon
Melissa Simon marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Joy Lane
Joy Lane marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Heidi Worley
Heidi Worley marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Leah
Leah added it
Apr 19, 2014
Lara
Lara added it
Mar 04, 2014
India Tucker
India Tucker marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Baleigh Slaven
Baleigh Slaven marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Samantha marsh
Samantha marsh marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Tyrese
Tyrese added it
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Carole Marsh is a children's author and the founder of Gallopade International, a children’s book publishing company headquartered in Peachtree City, GA. Marsh writes mystery fiction in addition to works of non-fiction for children. Initially she self-published under the imprint Gallopade Publishing Group, which she founded in 1979; today Gallopade International is a major small publisher based in...more
More about Carole Marsh...
The Mystery at Disney World The Mystery in Chocolate Town: Hershey Pennsylvania (Real Kids, Real Places) The White House Christmas Mystery (Real Kids, Real Places) (Carole Marsh Mysteries) The Mystery at Big Ben (Around the World in 80 Mysteries) (Carole Marsh Mysteries) The Mystery in New York City (Real Kids, Real Places) (Carole Marsh Mysteries Ser)