The BBC International Short Story Award 2012

The BBC International Short Story Award 2012

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Absence and disappearance provide recurring themes in the ten stories shortlisted for this year’s Award: the abandonment of family members – estranged wives and errant husbands; the loss of a childhood friend and computer games mentor; or the convenient vanishing of whatever we deem disposable – through a portable, pocket-sized black hole.

In 2012, to mark the London Olympi...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Carcanet Press Ltd. (first published September 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The BBC International Short Story Award 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The BBC International Short Story Award 2012

Seawood
The more short stories I read the more I realise I don't actually like the format. I think I prefer anthologies from just one author, a single voice. There are a few good ones here and some misses. Diverting enough, I guess.
Jeremy Dean
A mixed bag; some thoroughly enjoyable stories like iHole, but some unreadable garbage like Even Pretty Eyes Commit Crimes and East of West. Nothing world changing though.
Ryan
Preferred the first collection I read - 2009's edition, which was, on average, very slightly more excellent - still, some really good stories in here.
Robert Nevins
Some really great stories here. Highly recommended
Oldecat
Oldecat marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jill
Jill is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Catharine Braithwaite
Catharine Braithwaite marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Jacqui
Jacqui marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Siobhan
Siobhan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Eloise
Eloise marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Rhys
Rhys added it
May 12, 2013
أنس
أنس is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Belinda Palamara
Belinda Palamara marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Slreding
Slreding marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Julien R
Julien R marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Ping
Ping marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
All the Beggars Riding The Meeting Point Where They Were Missed Leaves Notes to Future Self