Love Her Madly

Love Her Madly (Poppy Rice Mystery #1)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A tense, death-row drama--meet brash FBI investigator Poppy Rice in the first of a winning new series

Poppy Rice is home in her D.C. apartment with very little furniture and lots of boxes she still hasn't unpacked after five years. It's three a.m. and she's suffering from her usual insomnia. While polishing her nails, she watches a tape of the CBS Evening News-Dan Rather i...more
Published January 11th 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published January 11th 2001)

Meiran
I got frequently distracted during this book by the strange digressions the narrator would take about random topics. They might have been valuable to the plot or maybe provided some insight, but they weren't action, they were just discussions of the history of the Texas correctional system, or something of the like. The author also had a tendency to allude to something chapters before she would explain it, but in a way that made me think I had missed something. Specifically, there was a moment w...more
Julia
It was hard to get into this book. The pacing felt a little slow, and there were a lot of religious discussions that seemed to go on to long. I did like the main character Poppy, and her assistant Delby. I would like to read more about them. The story of Rona Leigh was a little too unbelievable and seemed to serve only as a reason to debate the death penalty and the religious redemption of prisoners. The author seemed to have a low opinion of Texas too. The second half the story started to pick...more
Judi
Every now and then a book really surprises me. Since I wasn't keen on the book title nor the cover, I hesitated before reading this one, but because the advanced reading copy was next in the TBR pile, I decided to see what it was about. The first thing that I have to say about this novel is don't prejudge this book. Inside you'll meet one funny, if not brash, FBI agent who has a very serious thing about making sure no one is the victim of injustice.

Read my full review here: http://mostlyfiction....more
Janice
I found this book while "book shopping" at the library --what I call it when they don't have a book in that is on my list to read, so I walk up and down the aisles in the mystery section waiting for a title, word, typeface or color to jump off the shelf and beckon me to pull the book down for a look. This book had two really great twists, a little slow in the second act, but I will look into another in the Poppy Rice series!
Margaret
Listening to the audio of this. Exploring death penalty, very negative view of Christianity. Would probably try another in the series to see if I liked it better.
Angie crosby
Okay book. Storyline kept me curious. I would have liked more character development. I didn't buy the explanation of why the lethal injection didn't kill her.
Shandra
I am a mystery reader, but I don't often read mysteries involving serial killers. This book, however, sucked me in immediately!
Shan
Strong (opinionated) female FBI character - thought provoking view of the justice process and the death penalty.
Lillian
May 28, 2010 Lillian rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lillian by: Lucille
an okay read about Texas death penalty and women on Death Row. Wouldn't really recommend it.
Melissa
Mar 27, 2011 Melissa marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into this one, even though I love the narrator.
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Debra
Debra added it
Jun 15, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jayson Peterson
Jayson Peterson marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Cassidy
Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Alisa
Alisa added it
Nov 27, 2013
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith is the author of eight novels. She has lived all her life in Connecticut, except for two years when she served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon.
More about Mary-Ann Tirone Smith...
Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir The Book of Phoebe She's Not There An American Killing Dirty Water: A Red Sox Mystery